Translation [WIP] Natsumon! 20th Century My Summer Vacation English Patch

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! I managed to overcome the hurdles involved in translating this one and I'm happy to release an early version for people to play with. It's far enough along that you could very easily complete the game with minimal translating on your own, and I'm actively working on this project pretty much every day so I'm hoping to get more developed builds out asap.

Gamebanana Link

I've also been translating the in game assets since every sign (of which there are many) etc are in Japanese, that's another language barrier I'm working on removing for English speaking players. The link to that is in the description of the text translation patch on Gamebanana. That project I'm also actively working on and nearly completed, I left them separate because A) mod support for this game is wildly easy to get going, thanks UE4 and B) due to the nature of translating "art", some creative liberties were taken and not everyone might enjoy every change I made, although I did try to stay as faithful to the original source material as possible.

If you have any questions or anything, just let me know! I'll update this thread as I update the Gamebanana page, and probably post some builds here before I post them there, for testing purposes etc.

Enjoy!!

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, there's a lot of dialog in this game and I'm actively working on it on a pretty regular basis, so hopefully you won't have to wait too long to be able to experience it in 100% English! I'm finding myself in a position where I'm considering writing some custom tools to do this because right now, there is too much possibility for human error, and if there is an error, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack trying to fix it.

wavvydev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes yes yes! This series almost never gets localized outside of Japan and this release specifically broke my heart the most! Super excited someone with the knowledge to do so is working on this. These games have a TON of text so I know this will be hard work but greatly appreciated! Please let me know if there is a way to support this project :)

Reactions: TamarindoJuice

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes yes yes! This series almost never gets localized outside of Japan and this release specifically broke my heart the most! Super excited someone with the knowledge to do so is working on this. These games have a TON of text so I know this will be hard work but greatly appreciated! Please let me know if there is a way to support this project :)
Hey thank you! I appreciate the support, I really don't know if there's anyway to support the project to be honest, it's just one of those things where I have to sit, translate text, punch it back into where it needs to go, do this and that, test because somethings broken, fix it, move on. It's just a tedious little process so I'll admit it's probably going to take me a few months to do this but I'm planning on dropping an update for the English assets and for the text translation before the end of the weekend, I was doing some playtesting and found quite a few bugs lol.

Reactions: wavvydev

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Small update!

I've posted updates for both the asset translation and the text translation mods on GameBanana:

Text

Assets

Please let me know if you have any questions! Enjoy!

Reactions: wavvydev

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@blashy101
Thank you! Maybe it's worth it to combine text and assets in one archive?

Will be very handy, 'cause one may forget to update one or another of them, unfortunately.

Hey! Yeah good idea, I can offer a combined pak in the future. In the next update I'll have it available. Thanks for the suggestion!!

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news! There are two types of files used in this game for text, one is a MessageTable uasset/uexp, and another are Localization locres/locmeta files. I translated the entire MessageTable for prompts to interact with things (talking to people, shops etc) and nothing changed, same with the Diary entries, turns out the game actually uses the locres/locmeta files which can be edited in a text editor since there's a great tool that converts them to and from .json files, meaning the interaction prompts are now all complete and working in game, and the diary can be knocked out in a day, which is massively text heavy!

If anyone is using the translation right now, replace your EngTextPublic.pak with this one, it's got more text translated than the last public release but also features the completed interaction prompts as well. There are a couple bugs in here but nothing game-breaking of course.

Enjoy! This build is just for GBATemp, I'll post more refined builds on GameBanana.

Attachments

• GBATemp EngTextDev.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

wavvydev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news! There are two types of files used in this game for text, one is a MessageTable uasset/uexp, and another are Localization locres/locmeta files. I translated the entire MessageTable for prompts to interact with things (talking to people, shops etc) and nothing changed, same with the Diary entries, turns out the game actually uses the locres/locmeta files which can be edited in a text editor since there's a great tool that converts them to and from .json files, meaning the interaction prompts are now all complete and working in game, and the diary can be knocked out in a day, which is massively text heavy!

If anyone is using the translation right now, replace your EngTextPublic.pak with this one, it's got more text translated than the last public release but also features the completed interaction prompts as well. There are a couple bugs in here but nothing game-breaking of course.

Enjoy! This build is just for GBATemp, I'll post more refined builds on GameBanana.
You are the GOAT. Keep up the great work!!

• Love
Reactions: blashy101

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Little Update slightly more advanced than the one I posted earlier as well as the request from @mathew77 thanks for that!

I've included a running checklist and progress meter for the translation and I'm hoping that gives further clarity on what exactly it is that you can expect from each update as we inch towards the finish line. If you have any questions just let me know of course!! Enjoy!

EDIT: Hotfix available, I accidentally left some pretty glaring bugs in and I've fixed them and uploaded a new version. Sorry about that!

Last edited by blashy101,

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanted to throw you guys a bone and show you a little preview of the content you can expect from the next update :)

2023092820034600_s.jpg

TamarindoJuice

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm blazing through these quest details lol, there's now more in English than there is Japanese. A lot of quests I can't really check the formatting unless I start a new game so if anyone feels like reporting if stuff looks weird please let me know!
During some ramdom playing today i didn't find any bug or wrong text. Thanks for all your work here! Just in case, there's something i can do to help you? I have some spare time next days, if theres any chunck of simple text i can help you translate or anything like that, lemme know ;)

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
During some ramdom playing today i didn't find any bug or wrong text. Thanks for all your work here! Just in case, there's something i can do to help you? I have some spare time next days, if theres any chunck of simple text i can help you translate or anything like that, lemme know ;)
When I debug this version I'm wrapping up, I'll post the pak file here, and it'll have every quest title/details translated and if you spot anything odd looking in your playthrough, just let us know! Thank you!!
Post automatically merged:

Okay, as a little treat for you guys, here is the latest build. There are a couple bugs with formatting in some later game quests and a couple quests not translated yet, but I would say it's about 95% complete. Use this .pak file instead of any other you have in your ~mods folder (EngTextPublic or EngTextDev). This also has 100% item descriptions as well. If you see anything that looks funky in English, just lemme know! I'm gonna take a couple days off from development but I'll get back to it next week and do a proper release then.

EDIT: oh and if you complete the game, there is a little easter egg in the credits too ;)

Attachments

• 95percentquestscompletegbatemp.zip
    1 MB · Views: 22

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Story now too?
Not quite yet! Dialog is probably the last thing I'm going to complete since it's the biggest hurdle. My goal was to get the game as playable as possible first before making it fully complete.
Post automatically merged:

Alright, new major update out now:

Download Here

All quest names/details are translated, all item descriptions are translated and a little more. I outline everything in the update on GameBanana but this is essentially the last major update for awhile since all that's left to tackle is the diary and dialog really, and those are going to take me awhile. Let me know if you have any questions/find a bug! Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol