ROM Hack [Translation] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi and Tara's Marvelous Mysterious Key [WIP | v0.4]

TorchyTahcoez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This error indicates that the banner cannot be patched, which could have one of two reasons:
a) The game comes with two slightly different banners, so you simply cannot patch them unfortunately. Although I never heard of that for DQM2, I know there was a problem with another dragon quest game... You could try to run GamePatcher.exe from the command line by using the command "GamePatcher --ignore-incompatible-patches".
b) Your cia is somewhat wrong. So a question: Why is it called DQM2_Edited.cia? That seems like the outcome of HackingToolkit. Maybe you changed something and this isn't the original game. If you just converted a .3ds game file into a .cia file, you could try to patch the .3ds file first (just copy it in the directory and run GamePatcher.exe like before) and convert it to a cia file afterwards.

okie i figured it out by getting a different cia file. i jsut wanted to be sure i could do it correctly before y'all get more done ^_^ Thanks again for the help and all the wonderful work youre doing

HeWhoSucksBlood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please explain how to apply the translation patch please? Or point me in the direction of a patcher that makes sense? The guide on github barely explains anything and the process isn't exactly self explanatory. I put the cia and the patch in the same folder as the patcher, run it and it gives me a patched cia but its only about 1k kb? When the game itself is almost 2 gb?? I tried installing the game followed by the piddly little patch thing it spat out and it didn't do anything. I have had to open up my 3ds and fiddle around with the sd card and readers and dragging and dropping and waiting for the game to install tonight and I'm sick of it. I don't have the 1.1 game update so I made sure to use the 1.0 version so that isn't the problem.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can someone please explain how to apply the translation patch please? [...]
The guide doesn't explain much because there isn't that much you should have to do.
So, you put the game as a cia (ca. 2 GB) and the Patches-v1.0-EN.zip (ca. 14.7 GB) together with the GamePatcher.exe in a folder and ran it?
Did you get any error messages in the output of GamePatcher?
Afterwards you only have to install the patched cia (as well ca. 2 GB) on your 3DS. Make sure you uninstall the original game first to avoid any problems.

HeWhoSucksBlood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guide doesn't explain much because there isn't that much you should have to do.
So, you put the game as a cia (ca. 2 GB) and the Patches-v1.0-EN.zip (ca. 14.7 GB) together with the GamePatcher.exe in a folder and ran it?
Did you get any error messages in the output of GamePatcher?
Afterwards you only have to install the patched cia (as well ca. 2 GB) on your 3DS. Make sure you uninstall the original game first to avoid any problems.
Ok so. I started over fresh with a new folder and a new download of the zipped patch. Put everything in the folder, ran the patcher, it did SOMETHING for about a minute, closed itself out after creating a couple new folders along with a few applications and whatnot. So I ran it again and it did some more SOMETHING before giving me an error saying the patch failed. Any chance you could just explain the process for me step by step please? Without leaving out any crucial detail that I might be missing?

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[...] it did SOMETHING for about a minute, closed itself out [...]
Oh, that should not ever happen... Maybe you can start fresh once again, open the cmd (command line) and run GamePatcher by entering "GamePatcher.exe" and send me the complete output?

So I ran it again and it did some more SOMETHING before giving me an error saying the patch failed.
Can you send me the output or tell at which step the error occured the first time?

Any chance you could just explain the process for me step by step please? Without leaving out any crucial detail that I might be missing?
There isn't any other step when using GamePatcher. That's why I wrote it, so you just download stuff, run it and that's it. But you can follow the (way more complicated) manual instructions: Installing Releases (Manual)

HeWhoSucksBlood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that should not ever happen... Maybe you can start fresh once again, open the cmd (command line) and run GamePatcher by entering "GamePatcher.exe" and send me the complete output?

Can you send me the output or tell at which step the error occured the first time?

There isn't any other step when using GamePatcher. That's why I wrote it, so you just download stuff, run it and that's it. But you can follow the (way more complicated) manual instructions: Installing Releases (Manual)
Took some pictures. First one is the part where the process hangs before closing itself out. Second one is what happens when I try to run it again afterward. I started over fresher than fresh with a new download of the patcher too. Even restarted my pc before hand and still the same thing happened. And when I tried the cmd thing it said it wasn't recognized.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

HeWhoSucksBlood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what the error message "xdelta3: [...] There is not enough space on the disk." tells, I believe your hard drive is full. Do you have around 8 GB of empty space?
Alright I freed up some space and the patcher seemed to finish without any incident this time. Even then the patched thing it gave me is only 800k Kb compared to the unpatched cia's 1.8 gb. Is that right? Do I install both or just the patched one or what? I would very much like to make this be the last time I have to open up my 3ds and install this thing tonight.

epiphanyrush

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know of a breeding guide for this game? maybe some japanese site? because the guide linked at the beginning of the thread is incomplete and doesnt have all methods of breeding/acquiring all of the monsters.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
cool translation project,
um i tired to patch the game using the tutorial for releses, but i can't progress any futher as the two tools
Translation toolkit and Gamepatcher don't work for me as im running windows 7 x86 (32bit),
so, to patch the game to english, i have to use the installion (manual) way?

also, does the update v1.1 for this game exist? i can;t seem to find it anywhere, and since this is an out of regoin game (even if it is patched to english), you can't get the update by simply clicking update and donwloading it on 3ds (if the game is of the same regoin as your 3ds) you can do this, but for this game , no unfort.

can you install the update from a qr code? will that work?

this update for this game isn't really neassary to play the game?

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hope all is going well with the project! It would be great if we could get an progress update soon :)
The last update is still up to date. We're doing good progress every week and will continue to work on it.

i can't progress any futher as the two tools
Translation toolkit and Gamepatcher don't work for me as im running windows 7 x86 (32bit),
so, to patch the game to english, i have to use the installion (manual) way?
I know some people running those tools on Windows 7.
You can try two things: 1) updating Windows 7 to SP1 and 2) installing Python 3.8 yourself and maybe you can then run both .exe files as you're used to.
Or you can follow the Installing Releases (Manual) Instructions, correct.

also, does the update v1.1 for this game exist? [...]
can you install the update from a qr code? [...]
this update for this game isn't really neassary to play the game?
The update does exists, but you can only install it the "normal way" on a Japanese 3ds.
Installing from a QR code is just downloading and installing from a website, which is considered "Warez" and not discussed on this forum (see rules).
The official v1.1 update enables support for online play, but is not required for anything else.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I know some people running those tools on Windows 7.
You can try two things: 1) updating Windows 7 to SP1 and 2) installing Python 3.8 yourself and maybe you can then run both .exe files as you're used to.
Or you can follow the Installing Releases (Manual) Instructions, correct.

The update does exists, but you can only install it the "normal way" on a Japanese 3ds.
Installing from a QR code is just downloading and installing from a website, which is considered "Warez" and not discussed on this forum (see rules).
The official v1.1 update enables support for online play, but is not required for anything else.

oh, okay i see i tried to install the python 3.8 as i was on 3.5.2, and gave the .exe's a try but still no luck, they just won't work for 32bit,
they need 64bit to run unfort.

well, i'll just use the manual way to install the updates, it's not that hard to do, the intructions for it are rather simple and easy to follow.

also, when a new relase/update is out, do i need to do the whole manual patching process again from the start or from a certian point
each time i repatch the game?

about the update for this game, yeah since it doesn't really do anything wroth it, then there is no real point in going through the trouble of
finding a 2nd 3ds (region chnage it to JPN) and get the update to use for this game, it's not wroth the fuss in the end.
you can get the update via eshop or qr code, but you need a JPN 3ds, but like i said, since the update does abseloutely nothing,
there is no point in getting it.

that's why i asked if the update idi anything wroth it, well it didn't so there is no need for it.
thanx for the clearification.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You should be able to skip the Setup step, so only Patching, Rebuilding and Installing are needed.

nice, um i tried the installtion of the patching for manual as i cannot run the gamepatcher.exe or the translationtoolkit.exe files (as they are 64bit).

i followed all the steps for the maunal process using both Hackpack V12 and V9, (well V9 for the tut),
i was able to get all the steps done from Setup -> Patching, but i can't seem to get past the rebulid step:

i go to rebulid the game as DQM2.cia in v9 and it gets until the two files CustomPartion1/0.bin show up and then my PC suddenly frezzes,
for v12, it doesn't do this, but when it is done i get no DQM2.cia file.

i tried to rebulid the game as .3ds instead using v9 & v12 and it finishes with no frezzes or errors, but the rebulit "DQM2.3ds" file shows ups as "0 kb" instead of 1.7gb or such that it should,

why does this happen? i have follwoed the steps exactly as stated in the manual installtion,
i dkown what to do now to get the game rebulit as a .3ds or .cia file?

well if i can get it rebulit as a .3ds file, then i can conver to it .cia in Godmode9 on my 3ds.

i tired the game on my 3ds (unpatched) and it installs fine and works, but i can't seem to rebulit it in v9/v12 of the hackpack.

i wonder are the v9/v12 hackpacks not compatable with windows 32bit os?

also, would it be possble to bulid/make a 32bit version of Gamepatcher & translationtoolkit, so that i can get the patching of dqm2 done that way? as the manual way to pacth this game has some issues on the rebuliding side.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i go to rebulid the game as DQM2.cia in v9 and it gets until the two files CustomPartion1/0.bin show up and then my PC suddenly frezzes, for v12, it doesn't do this, but when it is done i get no DQM2.cia file.
In general Hacking Toolkit V12 has some problems, that's why everone uses V9.
I cannot tell why it doesn't finish without knowing any form of error message, but a few ideas:
1) Do you have enough space remaining on disc (ca. 2GB)?
2) Have you tried to rebuild the extracted, but unpatched game? Does that work?

i wonder are the v9/v12 hackpacks not compatable with windows 32bit os?
I'm not sure... I know that there are some things included for both 64 and 32 bit, but I don't know if that makes it 100% compatabile with 32 bit.

also, would it be possble to bulid/make a 32bit version of Gamepatcher & translationtoolkit
The programming language I used, Python, is in general very bad for creating executable programs, like an .exe file, but you can get it to work, which I did for 64 bit windows. I can try to install the 32 bit version of Python on my computer and see if I can get it to create a 32bit executable. Maybe I will need to change some code for it. I'll keep you updated.

Reactions: 2DSGamerdude

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
In general Hacking Toolkit V12 has some problems, that's why everone uses V9.
I cannot tell why it doesn't finish without knowing any form of error message, but a few ideas:
1) Do you have enough space remaining on disc (ca. 2GB)?
2) Have you tried to rebuild the extracted, but unpatched game? Does that work?

I'm not sure... I know that there are some things included for both 64 and 32 bit, but I don't know if that makes it 100% compatabile with 32 bit.

The programming language I used, Python, is in general very bad for creating executable programs, like an .exe file, but you can get it to work, which I did for 64 bit windows. I can try to install the 32 bit version of Python on my computer and see if I can get it to create a 32bit executable. Maybe I will need to change some code for it. I'll keep you updated.

my pc has alot of space left, like 74.5gb.
i remeber trying to rebulid the unpacthed game without editiing any of the files, and that didn't work etheir, i got no .cia file generated and the .3ds file was at 0kb.

not sure what this happens, but could it be maybe that hackpack needs an encryputed .cia/3ds file instead of a decruptued file?
i installed the unpatched .cia game to my 3ds and then dumped that to .cxi and encrypted that using godmode9. not sure if that'll work in hackpack now? i have to test and see.

also, yeah the 32bit versions of Gamepacther & translationtoolkit would be great if you could bulid them for me to use, not sure if it's possble to do.

since i have the unpatched game installed to my 3ds, wouldn't it be better to make the LayerFS patch instead of the the .cia patch maunal, as that isn't working for me, unfort.

and layer fs is alot easier to update and patch than the .cia method.
let me know if you can get the 32bit versions of GP & TTK working, thanx
as that would help me out alot in pacthing the game in english.

also how much of the game is patched to english?
and what's the monsters that you pick after you name your charater for?
if it was in english, i'd know what it was for, but since it's in japanese, i have no clue.
the orginal GBC game didn't have this after the pick your charater page.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
not sure what this happens, but could it be maybe that hackpack needs an encryputed .cia/3ds file instead of a decruptued file? i installed the unpatched .cia game to my 3ds and then dumped that to .cxi and encrypted that using godmode9. not sure if that'll work in hackpack now? i have to test and see.
It does need a decrypted cia file. When dumping the game as I describe in my instructions it is decrypted by default. This is most likely the reason it failed.

since i have the unpatched game installed to my 3ds, wouldn't it be better to make the LayerFS patch instead of the the .cia patch maunal, as that isn't working for me, unfort.
You can make a LayeredFS patch as well. My instructions Installing LayeredFS describe how to do this, but I know using Translation Toolkit which doesn't work for you.

also how much of the game is patched to english?
See Progress EN (English) or Release Notes. But there will be a 100% translation in the future.

and what's the monsters that you pick after you name your charater for?
It's your partner monster, your buddy. You get it early on in the game to join you on your journey.

Reactions: 2DSGamerdude

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1