Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.5%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.2%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 150 15.7%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

weks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"look at the top screen from below at an angle " do we need to look from below? how about left right up?

If i look from below, the black color remain vivid and dark, its the same when i look from right side, but when i look from the left, it somewhat goes lighter yellowish screen, like its backlit i dont know.

So i from that view do i have a TN or IPS screen?

I also do the lagom black level test, from the top screen i can see the square after the 8th. I'm kind of confused to categorize it an ips or tn lol. Not that it bothers me but i just want to know.

Last edited by weks,

nukethestars

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone also analyze these pictures?

Do I have both TN, or?.. I am having hard time judging.
The upper screen looks better to me, however there is some washout with the colors so it makes me think I have double TN.

There is also a video where I look at the console at different angles.
https://we.tl/MTIvzkXVsi

sOFHFku.jpg

1ts9Ljr.jpg

ccd4fdca-431a-4c09-a1ce-0eaaa431044a
3cfb047e-562c-4da9-9169-8b85ea3465a1

Last edited by nukethestars,

dannybritty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The funny thing is, I wanted to get a new 3ds xl because my cat spilled water on the top screen of my o3ds xl (fml) and I came across this topic about the TN/IPS panels. And just for fun, I tried to test my o3ds xl screen with the black method http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php , and the result is : the two screens got the same results as an ips screen, that's to say I can see squares from 8 and up.

So the new tn panels are better than before because you can know see the squares from 4 and up, so more contrast in darks is great, I still don't know if IPS is really better because I'm afraid of too saturated colors and poor dark specter.

Just Cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Mmmh, I don't know, I'm not sure what are you talking about, but this is the difference of the IPS+IPS screens console and IPS+TN console (Full IPS Left, and only Upper Screen IPS Right):

Sorry for the dust, I'm living in a very old house lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

0004.jpg

005.jpg

image.jpg

I'm on the lookout for a dual ips n3ds xl and managed to get a top ips but can you tell me the start of the serial number and where you got it from bud? In uk so I believe it is more relevant than the us posts.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My Euro dual IPS N3DS XL Animal Crossing edition was bought new off a UK eBay seller a couple of months or so ago (it was the cheapest I could find a brand new one anywhere at the time). It came with 9.9 firmware and the serial number starts QEF1032, if that helps at all.

Reactions: Just Cat

swabbo

Wot u doin readin dis m8?
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on the lookout for a dual ips n3ds xl and managed to get a top ips but can you tell me the start of the serial number and where you got it from bud? In uk so I believe it is more relevant than the us posts.

I just bought a hardly used New Nintendo 3DS XL, managed to use the DSI-Ware downgrade and install a9lh and Luma3ds on it, I'd be willing to sell it, it's in amazing condition just found out it's dual ips too :)

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes a black n3ds. but i got a used one. that was october 2015

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i got it used from a Gamestop store

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So I thought only the american Pokemom Anniversary n3ds has IPS panels, but it seems there are european ones too (although they seem to be much more rare). I wonder if I should give it a shot getting another n3ds to see which panels it has.

KevinC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I learned that my 2ds has a double IPS on it I assume I got pretty lucky I remember buying it near launch from Nintendo shop UK hopefully I can get as lucky with my n3ds xl when I get the chance to sort it out

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
So guys what do you think? Dual IPS the left one or what? And the right one is top tn bottom ips? Thank you!

20161007_192901.jpg
20161007_192910.jpg

20161007_205318.jpg

Last edited by Cava,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol