`Which screen does my New 3DS XL have?

Haiiiroo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, first of all I hope that this is the right place to post my question. I haven´t found an answer to it somewhere else.

I recently bought a used New 3DS XL and now I heard about that thing with the different screens (IPS and/or TN). So I did saome research because I was curious which screens my 3DS has. I know now that most New 3DS XLs come with TN/TN screen, some with IPS/TN and rarely some versions have IPS/IPS.

Sadly I don´t have a second New 3DS XL to compare the screens and the viewing from the side didn´t give me a clear answer. But I am leaning more towards having a TN screen at the top. Then I found a thread, where someone said that you could find out whether a screen is IPS or not with that test on lagom (sadly I can`t post the link). Apparently you can see the squares 4 and beyond with the TN screen and 7 and beyond with the IPS panel.

The top screen showed no surprises as I could see all the squares from 4 and beyond. So I figured that I have the most common variant (TN top/ TN bottom). But then I viewed the picture on the bottom screen and there I could see the squares 8 and beyond. (I hope the pictures and clear enough, its hard to take them in a pitch black room) I was searching for quiet a while now but I haven´t found any posts to that. Is it possible that my 3DS has a TN top panel but IPS bottom? The serial number of my 3DS is QEF105 if that helps.

Thank you alot in advance :)

top screen.jpg
bottom screen.jpg

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It would not make sense a TN upper and better IPS lower one. Else it was a IPS/IPS and the top one is replaced.
Yes use 3dsident it will show allavailable information, also if TN or IPS.

For example a IPS vs TN screen
IPS stays sharp with all colors
TN looses sharpnes, contrast and its colors. U see this in the TNgif.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220719-204946~2.png
    Screenshot_20220719-204946~2.png
    562.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen-Shot-2019-02-18-at-9.57.49-PM-1024x782.png
    Screen-Shot-2019-02-18-at-9.57.49-PM-1024x782.png
    798.6 KB · Views: 142
  • TNgif.gif
    TNgif.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
Last edited by Sypherone,

Haiiiroo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Sypherone Yes, that is why I was confused aswell. I bought it of some women who barely used the console. So I don`t think that the screen got replaced (although I don´t know that for sure)

But even if you look from the side, the lower screen seems to have better viewing angles than the top one (compared to the picture u linked, where the top screen is definitely better). The colors are much more vibrant one the lower screen, you can stll see the black background where the upper screen already turns grey

I don´t have any experience with 3dsident but you have to install some form of CFW on the system to use it right? I´d rather keep my system stock

side view.jpg

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, 3DSident is a homebrew and needs to be run on CFW.
Thats strange its really looks that u have upper TN and lower IPS screen. I have no conclusion then its replaced.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screen types came in all kinds of variations in N3DSXL's. That means it can be a IPS top TN bottom, IPS/IPS, TN/IPS or TN/TN.
Yours from the pic above appears to be TN top & IPS bottom.

Haiiiroo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I did some more research and apparently the lower IPS screen is rarer to get or buy than the top one. Would it make sense (and be possible) to swap out the top tn screen with a ips screen so that my 3DS is dual IPS? Since they go for way more money than the ones without dual IPS screens

litlnicky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ur top is tn , bottom is ips, see if u can get someone to swap out the top if u really bothers u , else u could always sell on/or keep

Last edited by litlnicky,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto