^^title-2341^^

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not bad the first 2 games are pretty identicle, the 3rd one theres a little change but the 4th game is a good little NES platforming gem.

We moan about sequels being the same nowadays but at least they werent THIS samey.

Stole this info from another site:
"Back the mid 80s, Escape made up of a couple of ex Sega employees (hence the name Escape...) they made Wonderboy on the Sega System 1 board. Sega licenced and published it.

Escape became Westone and Westone then promptly licenced Wonderboy to Sega, however Westone did write a Famicom version, due to Nintendos licencing policy they couldn't release it so they sold it to Hudsonsoft who had to change the main character and name (as Sega owned the licence to the Wonderboy name and didn't want a third party game to have any Sega name behind it). However they did release it (With no Sega or Westone branding) and due to good sales, Hudson then promptly agreed a deal with Westone that all future Wonderboy / Adventure Island games would be released by Hudsonsoft on all non Sega Machines while Sega still had a licence to publish the Wonderboy games on the Sega machines and in the Arcade"

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wow, so they were related. i honestly always thought that adventure island was just a cheap knockoff (i was one of the few proud master system owners).

retrohead

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
I was pleased to see this tis morning, gonna try it out now. I remember when i was a lad many years ago , i was expecting wonderboy as a christmas present form my parents for my ZX Spectrum and i knew that it was coming. I hunted high and low prior to christmas to see if they had it and i found it wrapped up in a bag. Yes you know wat i done, i wanted that game so baddly i unwrapped the bugger there and then and preceded to play it on my spectrum before carefully wrapping it back up and placing it back in the bag
lecture.gif
. I then obviously had to look surprised on Christmas day.
wacko.gif

Good memories, good days, great games!
yaynds.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the same when I was getting Ghostbusters II for my C64, I fount it and then taped it (ah back in the days when all you needed was a double tape deck) and then wrapped it back up.

Its a shame the game was a bit crap.

Gonna try th other Hudson compilations, the 3rd one was good fun too, plus they are very small so easy to keep on a card.

EDIT: Could only find Hudson Best 3 & 6, was the others dumped or for GBA?

Cinos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sri.gunsha.com
XP
Country
wow, so they were related. i honestly always thought that adventure island was just a cheap knockoff (i was one of the few proud master system owners).

The original one IS techincally a cheap knockoff, its simply Wonderboy with a slight sprite and name change so Sega couldnt legaly touch them. The later games were original creations and the Wonderboy series changed seemingly to escape it, then of course Westone did the exact same again, for example, Wonderboy 3 The Dragons Trap, was resprited and changed to Dragons Curse for the PC Engine...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, it was maybe funny the third or fourth time companies did it +1