TheFlow has hacked the PlayStation Portal, manages to run PPSSPP natively on the device

pspiortal.png

TheFlow is up to his old tricks, hacking PlayStation hardware once more. After a month of tinkering around, he's managed to get past the security on Sony's PlayStation Portal streaming handheld, and even gotten PSP games to load on it by running the PPSSPP emulator for Android. He credits fellow scene hackers xyz and ZetaTwo for the help in hacking the Portal, and says that he might showcase some videos of PPSSPP running on the device sometime this weekend. For now, there's no plans to release his hack to the public, and TheFlow claims there's still a lot of work to be done in the future.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it hilarious and rather stupid of those whining about a security engineer just doing his job with exploit hunting, so what if he posts about it. If you are that butt hurt, maybe get up off your flat rear and actually contribute and or find something useful for the scene to use. I'll be honest, even if you had access to whatever exploit was used here, you have nothing else on the brain except piracy anyways. Go seek a Chinese emulation device instead, those have your name(s) written all over it. This same security engineer has provided stuff for Sony products in the past, he will do what he wants with his line of work.

This is a cloud device with hardware that can't handle a lot of modern things, might be great for older stuff, but still. Get over yourself. Rather sick of the entitled behavior that way too many people have, it's a practical population issue at this point.

whitesword7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honesty not even this hack makes me wanna get the darn thing. Just like not even the thing being hackable made me get a PlayStation Classic.

I don't want to encourage Sony crap ideas.

agreed, a bulky device like this being able to play old ass emulator isn’t that interesting… might as well buy a 2nd hand vita

Reactions: isoboy and raxadian

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
agreed, a bulky device like this being able to play old ass emulator isn’t that interesting… might as well buy a 2nd hand vita

Still need a Vita memory card for when the sdtovita craps and it will. Unless you get the second model that has some inner storage even when not hacked.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS hacking scene would literally be dead without this guy so lmao to all the people angry at TheFlow over not releasing a hack for a crappy Android tablet
Can't say I care a single bit for this expensive underpowered device with even just WiFi 5 as a streaming exclusive device from Sony...

But I'm actually a bit worried that he is literally burning so many exploits even before we get to PS5 Pro that going further will be less and less likely that I will ever have the Xbox360 RGH moments that I totally miss which were quite a bit underwhelming already compared to Xbox original softmod days:(

I'm guessing by PS6 it will be so damn stable that will be a Fort knox and with the eye of the Illuminati on top watching everyone by damn slave monkeys AI :rofl2:
Still need a Vita memory card for when the sdtovita craps and it will. Unless you get the second model that has some inner storage even when not hacked.
Well, can always get pretty much get any other even much cheaper device to do it better or hell even whatever phone you already have that may even have a nice OLED which by now is even likely that there are those plastinc phone hanging things to clip a phone into the official DualSense controller...

It's just randomware stuff at this point in time unless we're talking about PS3 emulation, now that will require heavy firepower like a proper PC handheld...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The only good thing about this thing are the controllers, it doesn't even got a sllot for a micro sd card since it is for streaming.

Why Sony decided to try to copy the Wii U still surprises me.

Even the release of a digital only "PSP Classic" with about a hundred PSP games to buy and download would have got them more money, more so if they also included PS1 games.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
need cfw for ps4 pro 9.xx
I'd rather have CFW on latest PS5 update, I'd literally go running and burning as much diesel as possible on my car, screw speeding tickets just to buy one :rofl2::bow:

But even better is PS5 Pro coming out and bam CFW on any FW of it, gosh I really love dreaming...

Edit: My PC is slightly worse than the PS5 and I'd kill to have a PS5 Pro with CFW :evil:

Last edited by guily6669,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

TheFlow is up to his old tricks, hacking PlayStation hardware once more. After a month of tinkering around, he's managed to get past the security on Sony's PlayStation Portal streaming handheld, and even gotten PSP games to load on it by running the PPSSPP emulator for Android. He credits fellow scene hackers xyz and ZetaTwo for the help in hacking the Portal, and says that he might showcase some videos of PPSSPP running on the device sometime this weekend. For now, there's no plans to release his hack to the public, and TheFlow claims there's still a lot of work to be done in the future.

https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/1759627938910089575
But, Can It run Crysis?
Post automatically merged:

It's all good, but can it run Crysis?
sorry I didn't see your post after put my reply :P

• Haha
Reactions: k7ra and Blythe93

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even realize the playstation portal had even come out, I knew it was on the horizon but didn't realize it was out there
Well even after driving 20+KM here I haven't seen a single one on my horizon...

But I wouldn't get out of bed anyway to go see one :D

Unless Theflow proves it can run Crysis natively with full visuals at internal resolution of 4K at perfect 60fps, then I'd start being interested, until then don't call me haha.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TheFlow never fails to impress me. Nicely done!
Indeed. For his work on the Vita alone, the guy's a legend.

...and to be honest, when has he not (eventually) released his work? Fair play to him if he wants to claim the bounty and get properly paid for his efforts - all the userbase needs to do is wait for Sony to patch the exploit, not update their device, and hope that TheFlow is true to form and releases his findings after Sony's had a chance to fix their shit.

Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto