TheFlow has discovered a major exploit called bd-jb for PS3, PS4, and PS5, can be used to load game backups burned to discs

photo_2022-06-10_13-34-33.jpg

One of the PlayStation scene's most notable figures, TheFlow (Andy Nguyen), is back at it again. He's discovered a major exploit that affects not just one PlayStation console, but three. A hackerone report by TheFlow sheds light on five vulnerabilities that range in effectiveness, allowing users to load payloads that can be used to exploit the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and even the PlayStation 5. The exploit is referred to as bd-jb, or the Blu-ray Disc Java Sandbox Escape, and was featured during a panel at this year's hardwear.io security conference.

Below are 5 vulnerabilities chained together that allows an attacker to gain JIT capabilities and execute arbitrary payloads. The provided payload triggers a buffer overflow that causes a kernel panic. Please consider each of the vulnerabilities individually. AFAIK, this is the first exploit chain that is being submitted to you :)

According to Nguyen's report, a UDF driver can cause an overflow on both the PS4 and the PS5. An exploit chain, aka bd-jb, can then be loaded as the payload as a burned Blu-ray disc. The hack, in summary, will allow users to burn physical discs of game backups, and then play them on their consoles. This affects PlayStation 4 consoles below OFW 9.50, and PlayStation 5 systems that are below OFW 5.0.

With these vulnerabilities, it is possible to ship pirated games on bluray discs. That is possible even without a kernel exploit as we have JIT capabilities.

TheFlow's panel that discusses the exploit in detail will be uploaded in "a few weeks". The full hackerone report and all of its technical details can be read about below.

Following the initial report, TheFlow made an update to his claims.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well actually he is correct about it,

View attachment 313991

The vulnerabilty was submitted in March 21 2020, patched by Sony in firmware 7.50 on April 22nd 2020.
I didn't say he was incorrect, I said that the agreement you sign with hackerone and sony says you can't disclose certain things. like you can't just disclose keys without getting into trouble. what you disclose can get you kicked out of hackerone, permanently, read the agreement sony posted for things that can not be disclosed.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Sony knew about the exploits of 5.05 - 9.00, but weren't able to stop it?

Hackers inform Sony and then are allowed to publicly announce?

I'm just curious, sorry for sounding confused.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, so it's a win win for the most part, hackers get money and notoriety and sony further protects their systems. I'm pretty sure the only systems on hackerone are only ps4 and 5, no vita or ps3.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it's hackerone that has this agreement rather than sony (they are a member), but the latest firmware is refrained from being exploited and disclosed while it's the latest I think, because I think that falls in line with something that could potentially hurt customers or their products. if you were a part of the ps3 scene once the first exploits were released on the latest firmware, it was a disaster. people getting banned, then unbanning themselves with an idps of all 0's (f*ckpsn), banning others themselves by stealing their idps, adding funds to their wallets from nothing, massive cheating, etc. though, sony was unprepared after stating their system was unhackable. massive cheating isn't exactly patched, but all the others are. I feel sorry for the legit users who had to endure that.

EnigmaExodus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
HackerOne just serve as a connection between the researcher and vendor. It is Sony who sets the disclosure rules. Knowing past animosity of Sony towards exploits and homebrew it does seem rather generous.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to write a blog about what I'm thinking, been meaning to. I've thought about quitting for a long time (since the ps3 days), except I'd have no ties to the outside world being on disability. all I do is come here to help others, so it upsets me when I'm attacked or others insult my intelligence/question my intentions. I have discord now, since November of last year, so I could go there to have contact with others. I've been talking on there with my friend @Glyptofane , he's the one who tells me about all those sales, usually by way of Wario64. I then relay them here, usually in @KiiWii 's thread if anyone even buys games anymore. a lot of ridiculous deals up to 90% off.

Reactions: KiiWii

EnigmaExodus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I apologise if my post was considered an insult. Was just laying down some facts of how the process works here.

What specifically is your blog going to discuss?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it wasn't your post. it's the grand cumulative number of times I've been treated disrespectfully. it reminds me of my real life, at the jobs I've been at. I'm not going to put up with it much longer, I don't care if I have to drop everybody. my blog is going to be about that. I can go to discord if I have to, I have several people in dm on there. before, I only had websites to go to. now, I'm a member of 10-12 channels, mostly dev channels, so I learn more there than anywhere else, which is my primary goal.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HackerOne just serve as a connection between the researcher and vendor. It is Sony who sets the disclosure rules. Knowing past animosity of Sony towards exploits and homebrew it does seem rather generous.
I think Sony realized that paying people money to explain the exploits was cheaper and more effective than waking up to find a released exploit that they then have to reverse engineer.

iLL wiLL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it really worth it??? the games are HUGE!!!I have both a ps4 pro & ps5 that I bought broken from value pawn for$40 ps4 pro & $65 ps5 disc version which were stuck with fw issues which took me 2hrs to fix. one had a game stuck inside lol.

Last edited by iLL wiLL,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.