Hacking "The system files are corrupted" error exiting Wii Fit Plus

DyCerBR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@elenarguez Could you try holding the sync button on the wii so that the balance board is not registered anymore and see if you get the error? Seems absurd but ever since I tried it i can't get the error again. When I register the Balance Board i get the error.

elenarguez

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@elenarguez Could you try holding the sync button on the wii so that the balance board is not registered anymore and see if you get the error? Seems absurd but ever since I tried it i can't get the error again. When I register the Balance Board i get the error.

Really? My godd :O
I'll try it later.
No one in these 10 years realized this problem? I'm freaking out :P

DyCerBR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Really? My godd :O
I'll try it later.
No one in these 10 years realized this problem? I'm freaking out :P

Could be related to it, but im sure its not the main cause. I didn't have this error in 2015 and my old nand also works fine. There's something else to it.

Whats the point in solving it this way if you can't play without registering the Balance Board hahaha. :P

elenarguez

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Could be related to it, but im sure its not the main cause. I didn't have this error in 2015 and my old nand also works fine. There's something else to it.

Whats the point in solving it this way if you can't play without registering the Balance Board hahaha. :P
In my case, it started showing itself from last year, a few months after I hacked my wii. Since then I haven't played any games again with wii balance board and I haven't been able to move my greasy ass lmao
I'm going to talk about this to Waninkoko right now lmao :angry:

DyCerBR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Also, you might wanna check your saves. I just noticed I have a save slot that doesn't show anything and can't be selected. I believe it to be corrupted CoD:Black Ops save data. I have no idea if it is related to something, but who knows. Gonna clean it up.

EDIT: It wasn't the save. I think syncing the balance board has something to do with it, but can't confirm.
It seems that there's a higher chance for the problem to occur when returning to the system menu from wii fit plus a second time after powering on the wii.

EDIT 2: Formatting the System Memory, from the settings menu, seemed to help. According to the Wiibrew wiki:

The system memory format feature of the Wii will allow you to erase most user-installed content from the device. Specifically, it deletes the following directories, and everything inside of them:

• /title/00010000: TMDs for all disc games ever played, as well as savefiles
  • /title/00010001: Downloaded channels (executable / data content)
  • /ticket/00010001: Tickets for downloaded channels
It also cleans up some files in /title/00000001/00000002/data (EADIPL01, play_rec.dat), and creates a new file: /shared2/sys/succession/transfer.id

So the culprit is probably somewhere in one of these files. Maybe saves or Miis? apparently mii are stored in /shared2/menu/FaceLib/RFL_DB.dat

EDIT 3:

Allright, i have a theory:

I ran WiiFit Plus from usboader gx once and since then i've noticed the error. I've been thinking: Maybe running the game with the cios i used (d2xv8 base 56) made it write corrupted data somewhere and now this happens? Deleting the whole /title/0001000 dir seems to have solved it?

Last edited by DyCerBR,

elenarguez

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Also, you might wanna check your saves. I just noticed I have a save slot that doesn't show anything and can't be selected. I believe it to be corrupted CoD:Black Ops save data. I have no idea if it is related to something, but who knows. Gonna clean it up.

EDIT: It wasn't the save. I think syncing the balance board has something to do with it, but can't confirm.
It seems that there's a higher chance for the problem to occur when returning to the system menu from wii fit plus a second time after powering on the wii.

EDIT 2: Formatting the System Memory, from the settings menu, seemed to help. According to the Wiibrew wiki:

The system memory format feature of the Wii will allow you to erase most user-installed content from the device. Specifically, it deletes the following directories, and everything inside of them:

• /title/00010000: TMDs for all disc games ever played, as well as savefiles
  • /title/00010001: Downloaded channels (executable / data content)
  • /ticket/00010001: Tickets for downloaded channels
It also cleans up some files in /title/00000001/00000002/data (EADIPL01, play_rec.dat), and creates a new file: /shared2/sys/succession/transfer.id

So the culprit is probably somewhere in one of these files. Maybe saves or Miis? apparently mii are stored in /shared2/menu/FaceLib/RFL_DB.dat

EDIT 3:

Allright, i have a theory:

I ran WiiFit Plus from usboader gx once and since then i've noticed the error. I've been thinking: Maybe running the game with the cios i used (d2xv8 base 56) made it write corrupted data somewhere and now this happens? Deleting the whole /title/0001000 dir seems to have solved it?
I knew it!
I knew some file in those folders was what the brick was doing. So formatting will could fix it hmm...
Wouldn't there be another way to replace one of the files made with a nand from modmii? Although you have to be careful, as they are critical system files...
Maybe your theory is true, something has done the cios that leaves the console bricked.

EDIT:
I searched for more details about the play_rec.dat file and found this in wiibrew:

This file is generated by the System Menu before it launches a title.
SDK-based titles update this periodically with the current timestamp and on clean shutdown. The next time the System Menu starts, it checks for this file, and if it finds a valid play_rec.dat file it adds this entry to the "playtime log" in /title/00000001/00000002/data/cdb.vff and deletes this file.

In order to prevent strange effects that arise from not updating the timestamps correctly, the Homebrew Channel writes a corrupted entry to this file. This causes the System Menu to discard it upon the next boot

When maitenance mode starts, the system ignores it because disables the wii message board and the corrupted data message disappears, so something occurs when data is written to that file.

Last edited by elenarguez,

DyCerBR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I knew it!
I knew some file in those folders was what the brick was doing. So formatting will could fix it hmm...
Wouldn't there be another way to replace one of the files made with a nand from modmii? Although you have to be careful, as they are critical system files...
Maybe your theory is true, something has done the cios that leaves the console bricked.

EDIT:
I searched for more details about the play_rec.dat file and found this in wiibrew:

This file is generated by the System Menu before it launches a title.
SDK-based titles update this periodically with the current timestamp and on clean shutdown. The next time the System Menu starts, it checks for this file, and if it finds a valid play_rec.dat file it adds this entry to the "playtime log" in /title/00000001/00000002/data/cdb.vff and deletes this file.

In order to prevent strange effects that arise from not updating the timestamps correctly, the Homebrew Channel writes a corrupted entry to this file. This causes the System Menu to discard it upon the next boot

When maitenance mode starts, the system ignores it because disables the wii message board and the corrupted data message disappears, so something occurs when data is written to that file.

I deleted the play_rec.dat file and the problem wasn't gone. What seemed to solve it was deleting the whole 00010000 dir. I'm gonna restore a nand backup again and remove the saves through anytitledeleter one by one and see if anything happens.

If only this f* error was easy to reproduce. Sometimes it just decides to work fine and them BAM, system files are corrupted, power off, power on, no error message anymore. Its like it is trolling us.

Edit 1: Allright, Nand restored and (thank god) "files corrupted" screen pops up the third time after returning to the wii menu from WiiFit. I'm kinda grateful it happened, if it was gone i would throw my wii out of the window, gonna edit adding any progress. Took 3 power on/off cycles for the message to go away.

Last edited by DyCerBR,

elenarguez

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I deleted the play_rec.dat file and the problem wasn't gone. What seemed to solve it was deleting the whole 00010000 dir. I'm gonna restore a nand backup again and remove the saves through anytitledeleter one by one and see if anything happens.

If only this f* error was easy to reproduce. Sometimes it just decides to work fine and them BAM, system files are corrupted, power off, power on, no error message anymore. Its like it is trolling us.

Edit 1: Allright, Nand restored and (thank god) "files corrupted" screen pops up the third time after returning to the wii menu from WiiFit. I'm kinda grateful it happened, if it was gone i would throw my wii out of the window, gonna edit adding any progress. Took 3 power on/off cycles for the message to go away.
So it has to be a corrupted file saved? I have about 180 savefiles omg... I haven't seen anything weird about them. But I still find it strange... If it were a corrupt save, the maintenance mode wouldn't start either, I think. The message always appears to me, but if I delete the savefile or enter maintenance mode it disappears, in my case.
I don't know if having any savefiles from another region would be the cause... I don't have any more ideas :P

DyCerBR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
After deleting every single save file and not being able to find what could have been causing the error:

I don't get the error when i have about 40 saves on the wii (i used to have 65), maybe try making a backup of your saves and delete a bunch of them. See if it helps. Otherwise, I have no idea.

elenarguez

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, I'm sorry to go back to this post again but I'm sure what's the reason for this problem. I did a reset to sync all my wii motes, except the wii balance board and I no longer get any "files are corrupted" message when I return to the Wii menu. So the problem must be some kind of conflict between the balance board and the console modification. I have not synchronized the balance board (I do not know whether to do it) but at the moment I can play games that have as accessory the balance board without receiving brick message. So anyone who has this problem, try removing the sync of the wii balance board from the console.

tronsonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having this same problem and I found for some reason it only happens with the balance board synced to the console. If I only sync the Wii remotes I never get the error at all. Once I sync the balance board I get "The system files are corrupted. Check the Wii operations manual for help and support troubleshooting." error every time. I can get around the issue by using the USBLoader GX or Homebrew Channel forwarders for Wii U, bypassing the Safety and Precautions screen, but it's still pretty strange the balance board would be semi-bricking my system like this...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: speaking of roasted nuts, do you guys prefer your peanuts salted or honey roasted?