Hacking "Black Screen" when trying to exit out of Priiloader

CyNide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
TL;DR,
Everything seems to be working fine, except for when I boot into Priiloader (either on startup or using Priiloader launcher from HBC) and try to exit out of it by going to any of the available options (HBC, System Menu, Bootmii), I get a black screen.

--------------------

Wii 4.3U

This might be long.

So I already had a lengthy discussion with XFlak over at discord, but here's the gist.

I softmodded my Wii few years ago following the guide from wii.hacks, this involved the LetterBomb method.

I recently decided to use my Wii again and thought to see if I needed to update anything and came across ModMii, after running SysCheck and following the guide it generated, I installed the Wads and Stubs. After which I used the HomeBrew channel (that I had from before) to update any apps, I updated USB Loader GX, another app and Priiloader, the Priiloader update crashed and showed an Exception (DSi) message (which I searched and found that it was a memory corruption) and restarted my Wii and tried updating it again which worked this time.

Now I launched Priiloader Installer from HBC which gave another error (IOS 36 isn't patched) and returned to HBC, I tried launching it again, which worked this time and checked if any updates were pending.
Returned to HBC, and Exit to System Menu launched Priiloader.

From here is where things kinda went wrong, I enabled "Remove NoCopy Protection" and tried to exit to System Menu after saving it, and I was stuck on a black screen. I force shut it down and launched Priiloader on boot, this time I try to exit to HBC and I get the black screen again, the same result for trying to exit to bootmii from Priiloader.

XFlak mentioned that it's better I use the Priiloader version that comes bundled with ModMii as the newer one has a bug, so I did.

But I kinda screwed up, I loaded the SD Card and noticed a disk update on my CD channel, this was the first time this happened and I thought it was related to the process and went along with the update, though I ran SysCheck later and nothing seems to be lost, I got another report saying I have optional cIOS and can replace it with stubs.

But the issue of black screen still persists, when I tried to launch Priiloader on boot and exit to system menu, it works the first time but subsequent tries result in a black screen, I try launching into Priiloader from HBC, works the first time when I try to exit into SM, but black screen next time.

So, stuff still works, I don't seem to have bricked it and idk what exactly's causing this, if I can't boot into HBC or Bootmii from Priiloader it's kinda useless.

I ended up blocking updates and enabling the basic System Menu Hacks mentioned in the guide (which I thought I did the first time but they were all disabled).

I was suggested to build a forwarder dol for HBC which I will try later.

Now perhaps this huge post wasn't required and it might just be a small bug, I thought it would be nice to present everything that happened.

Do let me know if I have to share anything else, thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Last edited by CyNide,
Reactions: XFlak

ChihuahuanRaven

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL;DR,
Everything seems to be working fine, except for when I boot into Priiloader (either on startup or using Priiloader launcher from HBC) and try to exit out of it by going to any of the available options (HBC, System Menu, Bootmii), I get a black screen.

--------------------

Wii 4.3U

This might be long.

So I already had a lengthy discussion with XFlak over at discord, but here's the gist.

I softmodded my Wii few years ago following the guide from wii.hacks, this involved the LetterBomb method.

I recently decided to use my Wii again and thought to see if I needed to update anything and came across ModMii, after running SysCheck and following the guide it generated, I installed the Wads and Stubs. After which I used the HomeBrew channel (that I had from before) to update any apps, I updated USB Loader GX, another app and Priiloader, the Priiloader update crashed and showed an Exception (DSi) message (which I searched and found that it was a memory corruption) and restarted my Wii and tried updating it again which worked this time.

Now I launched Priiloader Installer from HBC which gave another error (IOS 36 isn't patched) and returned to HBC, I tried launching it again, which worked this time and checked if any updates were pending.
Returned to HBC, and Exit to System Menu launched Priiloader.

From here is where things kinda went wrong, I enabled "Remove NoCopy Protection" and tried to exit to System Menu after saving it, and I was stuck on a black screen. I force shut it down and launched Priiloader on boot, this time I try to exit to HBC and I get the black screen again, the same result for trying to exit to bootmii from Priiloader.

XFlak mentioned that it's better I use the Priiloader version that comes bundled with ModMii as the newer one has a bug, so I did.

But I kinda screwed up, I loaded the SD Card and noticed a disk update on my CD channel, this was the first time this happened and I thought it was related to the process and went along with the update, though I ran SysCheck later and nothing seems to be lost, I got another report saying I have optional cIOS and can replace it with stubs.

But the issue of black screen still persists, when I tried to launch Priiloader on boot and exit to system menu, it works the first time but subsequent tries result in a black screen, I try launching into Priiloader from HBC, works the first time when I try to exit into SM, but black screen next time.

So, stuff still works, I don't seem to have bricked it and idk what exactly's causing this, if I can't boot into HBC or Bootmii from Priiloader it's kinda useless.

I ended up blocking updates and enabling the basic System Menu Hacks mentioned in the guide (which I thought I did the first time but they were all disabled).

I was suggested to build a forwarder dol for HBC which I will try later.

Now perhaps this huge post wasn't required and it might just be a small bug, I thought it would be nice to present everything that happened.

Do let me know if I have to share anything else, thanks for coming to my ted talk.
Hello! I was having the exact same issue as you with very similar circumstances. I had modded both of my wii's several years ago, and I wanted to update the HBC and priiloader. I had a very similar situation where my wii would not launch any title, go to the HBC, or even return to the system menu from Priiloader. This does seem to defeat the purpose of Priiloader giving brick protection.

Oddly enough, the second wii DID in fact load titles from Priiloader, so I tried to dig a little deeper to see what the difference was. I ran Syscheck on both wii's and compared them side by side. The most notable difference I discovered was that I did not have IOS 70 and IOS 80 installed on the wii where Priiloader was having issues. I must have forgotten to install them in the batch, or transfer them over. I have heard that IOS 70 may have something to do with Priiloader, but I can't remember if that's correct or not. I went back to my computer and got the right files from Modmii and installed them both. However I was still not able to boot to anything from Priiloader. I then remembered that I have a super tiny thumb drive stuck in the USB port. Once I removed it EVERYTHING WORKED. I looked more into it and some thumb drives can cause issues for priioader launching titles. I tested other thumb drives, and also my external hard drive, and those gave me no issues with priiloader. It was only that tiny Sandisk Cruzer Fit model thumb drive I had in it. I liked it because it was sleek, but it turns out that may have been the reason why Priiloader wasn't booting into anything.

TLDR;
Try looking at any IOS that may be missing from Syscheck and/or any thumb drives that may be keeping priiloader from working properly.

CyNide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hello! I was having the exact same issue as you with very similar circumstances. I had modded both of my wii's several years ago, and I wanted to update the HBC and priiloader. I had a very similar situation where my wii would not launch any title, go to the HBC, or even return to the system menu from Priiloader. This does seem to defeat the purpose of Priiloader giving brick protection.

Oddly enough, the second wii DID in fact load titles from Priiloader, so I tried to dig a little deeper to see what the difference was. I ran Syscheck on both wii's and compared them side by side. The most notable difference I discovered was that I did not have IOS 70 and IOS 80 installed on the wii where Priiloader was having issues. I must have forgotten to install them in the batch, or transfer them over. I have heard that IOS 70 may have something to do with Priiloader, but I can't remember if that's correct or not. I went back to my computer and got the right files from Modmii and installed them both. However I was still not able to boot to anything from Priiloader. I then remembered that I have a super tiny thumb drive stuck in the USB port. Once I removed it EVERYTHING WORKED. I looked more into it and some thumb drives can cause issues for priioader launching titles. I tested other thumb drives, and also my external hard drive, and those gave me no issues with priiloader. It was only that tiny Sandisk Cruzer Fit model thumb drive I had in it. I liked it because it was sleek, but it turns out that may have been the reason why Priiloader wasn't booting into anything.

TLDR;
Try looking at any IOS that may be missing from Syscheck and/or any thumb drives that may be keeping priiloader from working properly.
Hey there, it's also funny to note that I am using a SanDisk USB as well 😂, I'll try to see if Priiloader works after removing my USB. Also, regarding the IOS, when I ran the SysCheck, nothing extra had to be installed, it just said I can replace and save some memory by installing the stubs. My issue is what you've tracked as well with not being able to exit out of Priiloader.

I'll try it out over the weekend and post my results here.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
USB 3.0 devices make Wii homebrew go rather persnickity, I notice. Forwards compatibility issues. I tried making it mount the SD by default, but it seems the only viable workaround is to make Priiloader take you directly to the System Menu.

Might check for a cIOS update that makes more stuff work, if it exists.

Reactions: CyNide

CyNide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India

TLDR;

So I finally tried what you suggested and it worked, when the thumb drive was plugged in, initially, I was able exit to bootmii and HBC, but after a few tries that stopped and I got the black screen again.

I removed the thumb drive and everything seemed to work fine. I tried running SysCheck again but no updates. I guess the only other option now is to switch to a hard disk or another USB.

Last edited by CyNide,
Reactions: XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh boy psi posted a ltt video +1