A series of questions about Nintendont & Priiloader

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have followed the instructions in Nintendont post and it's been working fine. Now I'm trying to install the forwarder and I'm considering Priiloader autoboot. So I have the following questions:

1. The link to Wii version (made by Badablek) no longer works. Is there any other reliable source I can download this forwarder?
2. I try to launch Nintendont from Priiloader (via Load/Install File menu, it finds the Nintendont app on the SD card, then I click 1 button to load), it seems to be working fine. However, the official post explicitly says "Don't launch it from priiloader auto-boot menu". Are there any potential issues I should be aware of?
3. Apparently I don't want to install Nintendont directly (press A button). Forwarder approach is preferred so in the future I only need update the app on SD/USB. However, it seems Priiloader requires a different forwarder (https://github.com/jmlee337/Nintendont-Forwarder-for-Priiloader) Cannot Priiloader simply loads the Wii version forwarder (made by Badablek) once it's installed into NAND?

BTW, in Priiloader settings I see these two options: Protect Priiloader & Protect Autoboot. By default they are both "off". Is it recommended to enable them? Any pros and cons?

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
U can make a custom forwarder dol for any path or your choosing using modmii's advanced downloaded menu

Protect autoboot and protect priiloader just allows u to password protect those things, up to u if u want to enable them
I just got this console a few weeks ago and I'm not experienced. I read from many tutorials that improper wad can brick the console, so I'm not confident to create the forwarder myself. Is there any reliable source to get the forwarder verified to be working?

Protect autoboot and protect priiloader only means it requires password to change their settings? That doesn't sound much useful.

Any comments to the other 2 questions?
- Are there known issues if I use Priiloader to autoboot Nintendont?
- Can Nintendont use the standard forwarder that we use in system menu for autoboot? I can understand the standard forward thing, but don't quite understand if Priiloader requires different forwarder. If they are not compaible, it would be difficult to implement because I don't see many forwarders made for Priiloader.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
A forwarder dol is not the same as a forwarder wad. The dol (or elf) is a component of the wad, the part that executes the code (wad also includes other stuff like banner, icon, audio, etc).

There is zero risk to installing a dol in priiloader. Even if it fails, you can load priiloader and revert the changes you made.

If you're not very experienced with wii modding I suggest u check out modmii. Using either its main wizard or syscheck updater wizard will greatly enhance your understanding, as well as ensure all your mods are up to date

Edit: if you have a working nintendont forwarder channel installed, instead of building a forwarder dol in modmii where u enter in the path, u can create a forwarder dol that launches the installed channel by entering the 4 digit title ID of your installed channel

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A forwarder dol is not the same as a forwarder wad. The dol (or elf) is a component of the wad, the part that executes the code (wad also includes other stuff like banner, icon, audio, etc).

There is zero risk to installing a dol in priiloader. Even if it fails, you can load priiloader and revert the changes you made.

If you're not very experienced with wii modding I suggest u check out modmii. Using either its main wizard or syscheck updater wizard will greatly enhance your understanding, as well as ensure all your mods are up to date

Edit: if you have a working nintendont forwarder channel installed, instead of building a forwarder dol in modmii where u enter in the path, u can create a forwarder dol that launches the installed channel by entering the 4 digit title ID of your installed channel

I have gone through all the tutorials from https://wii.hacks.guide & https://sites.google.com/site/completesg (some articles seem to be outdated). I also used your SysCheck ModMii Edition, found the console had old cIOS. I have updated to latest d2x-v11-beta1. Unfortunately, I found your ModMii post after these things were done. Otherwise I would definitely use it.

Right now the mods are all up to date but homebrew apps are not. The console currently uses Cfg_USB_Loader, I plan to try USB Loader GX & WiiFlow Lite later on, but right now I'm focusing on Nintendont setup.

I just download https://github.com/jmlee337/Nintendont-Forwarder-for-Priiloader. Indeed it's in dol format. So if I understand correctly, when we install forwarder as a channel in system menu, it requires wad format. But if we want to install a forwarder for Priiloader, it requires dol format (without those banner, icon stuff). That's the main difference.

Furthermore, if I have a working Nintendont forwarder (in wad format), I can use modmii to create the forwarder (in dol format) to be used in Priiloader. Am I correct?

The problem is, I don't have a working Nintendont forwarder channel. That's what I'm trying to do but the link in officail Nintendont post no longer works.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
You can use a usb loader to launch both wii games and gamecube games (requires Nintendont on the SD or usb). Most ppl launch GC games this way and thus forwarders for Nintendont aren't hugely popular, but I'm sure they exist. Runningsnakes has a thread here with lots of channels maybe check there if u specifically want a Nintendont forwarder.

If u run modmii's usbloader setup wizard, or main wizard and say yes to the usb loader option, it can help u set it up, including Nintendont.

Also, if u drag and drop your sd card drive letter or usb drive letter onto modmii.exe it can help u update any apps it detects. Or u can just download stuff from modmii classic's download pages, apps are on download page 2

Your understanding is generally correct, except modmii can build a few different types of forwarder dols. One works even without having a channel installed (the one where u enter the app path instead of the channel title id). However if the app requires elevated privileges and doesn't use cios (like Nintendont) then it may not run properly this way without taking extra steps in priiloader (I'm not certain).

Ultimately I'd suggest setting up a usb loader and launch GC games that way unless u have a specific reason why u want to run Nintendont directly. Then u can use either kind of forwarder dol and it will work correctly for sure.

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main reason for Priiloader autoboot setup is, it doesn't require Wiimote. Nintendont supports USB controllers quite well. I'm more used to controllers :)

Of course I will try your suggestions. I may come back for further assistance when I learn to build forwarder dols later on. I will take some time to get familiar with modmii first.

Thanks again for your kind suggestions. Happy Friday!

edit: I find Runningsnakes's post. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by sockscap,
Reactions: XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto