The Nintendo Switch 2 has been delayed to 2025, according to reports

switch-2.jpg

The Nintendo Switch has had a dominant life as a hybrid console-handheld, enjoying success since its launch in 2017. However, late last year heard some rumblings that Nintendo was preparing to move onward to a successor to the Nintendo Switch. According to Video Games Chronicle, Eurogamer, and other insider sources, development kits for a "Switch 2" had already been sent out to third-party devs, and rumors were claiming that the system would launch sometime in 2024.

Now, things have changed. While Nintendo was planning to launch the Switch 2 around late 2024, those same insider sources claim that due to some internal delays, the next-gen Nintendo console is targeting a Q1 2025 launch--similar to the original Switch, which launched in March 2017. VGC's sources state that the Switch 2 still plans on being a hybrid system, offering portable functionality, while Eurogamer corroborates VGC's statements, while additionally adding that the reasoning is so that the Switch 2 features as many launch titles as possible.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and we saw how successful the Wii U was... At this point there's just no way Nintendo ever puts out a new console that's backwards compatible. The Switch wouldn't have survived if not for the countless remasters/remakes/ports/reissues/deluxe versions etc.
Wii U ports sold well because Switch sold more than ten times as many units, for all intents and purposes the games were brand new to 95% of Switch owners. The same strategy of porting Switch games to Switch 2 for full price would fail, as those games already have maximum exposure. All of Nintendo's competition, both in and out of the console space, has backward compatibility for a reason. I don't think people mind remasters of older games as much so long as they're priced appropriately.

All reports indicate Switch 2 hardware is ready, and the delay is to allow for a bigger launch line-up of games to finish development.

Last edited by Xzi,

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wii U ports sold well because Switch sold more than ten times as many units, for all intents and purposes the games were brand new to 95% of Switch owners. The same strategy of porting Switch games to Switch 2 for full price would fail, as those games already have maximum exposure.

Very good point, and that's why Nintendo sure ain't in any rush to release a new console, because they're backed to a corner :
- No backwards compatibility = they need to keep releasing new games and they can't possibly do that. And they're running out of games to remake/remaster.
- Backwards compatibility = can't get to re-re-release games to sustain the new console and keep making profit out of old games.

A new Nintendo console is bound to fail one way or the other, and is probably gonna be the last Nintendo console. Mark my words.

All reports indicate Switch 2 hardware is ready, and the delay is to allow for a bigger launch line-up of games to finish development.
the "reports" you mention are just unconfirmed rumours. And about a bigger line-up of games : don't make me laugh. It's gonna be Mario Odyssey Deluxe and Tears of the Kingdom Deluxe. For the Switch launch all the big games were Wii U games.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
- Backwards compatibility = can't get to re-re-release games to sustain the new console and keep making profit out of old games.

A new Nintendo console is bound to fail one way or the other, and is probably gonna be the last Nintendo console. Mark my words.
Don't discount the idea that Switch2 running Switch games at higher frame rates and resolutions would be a big selling point for a lot of people. My PS5 basically only gets use as a glorified PS4 Pro+.

the "reports" you mention are just unconfirmed rumours.
I'd say you're right if not for the fact that there are already Switch2 dev kits floating around out there.

And about a bigger line-up of games : don't make me laugh. It's gonna be Mario Odyssey Deluxe and Tears of the Kingdom Deluxe. For the Switch launch all the big games were Wii U games.
If they have enough third-party launch games, Nintendo only needs to contribute two or three of their own. The biggest launch game for Switch was BotW, which might as well have been exclusive. Perhaps Metroid Prime 4 will be the major launch title for Switch2, even if it also has a Switch version (which runs poorly).

Reactions: ScaryHobbit and nWo

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Subject to the actual release details, I think that's going to be more up in the air considering that the Switch 2 will also be their portable console and those have traditionally sold ok.

Although they will of course have lost some of the Switch's USP thanks to the Steam Deck, etc. Which will likely cost them some sales (albeit likely a niche) and I won't be surprised if it takes a few years for it to gain momentum like the 3DS did and sell fewer overall consoles compared to the Switch.

That said, if staples like Pokémon see a decline in popularity, then there may be serious issues, especially from shareholders if MS/Sony see success by being multiplatform on other consoles and the rumours that MS may be working on a portable.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Switch sales were boosted by the pandemic so there's no way the next console will be as successful no matter what.
Really was a matter of "right product at the right time" twice over for Switch. Both when it launched with no portable competition in 2017, and again when New Horizons launched right as the pandemic was ramping up. These factors won't be around to benefit Switch2, but it can still piggyback on the success of Switch if Nintendo play their cards right.

Wario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo consoles are always a decade behind in hardware tech. Will Switch 2 games be semi photo realistic instead of Switch’s cartoony retro games?

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They have decades of games to rerelease, starting with gamecube games which are in high demand.

Releasing the console with retro compatibility of a console that's sold over 140M is way more profitable than a few potential unwanted remasters, as it ensures a smooth transition and easier adoption.
If on top of that they can offer performance perks on the switch games (like the PS4 Pro/PS5 and Xbox did) then it's an even better argument.

I'd buy a switch 2 for the performance upgrade alone, even with no new games.

Also not sure why you're so sure the next one is bound to fail when Nintendo had nothing but successes recently. Yeah sure it had the Wii U, and before that it had the Wii, the SNES, the gameboy, the DS. One more failure of a console doesn't mean it's gonna be their last console. Nintendo owns a huge number of IPs that are beloved and trigger the nostalgia feeling, it would take a tremendous amount of screw ups for that to get destroyed.

Reactions: ScaryHobbit and Xzi

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Very good point, and that's why Nintendo sure ain't in any rush to release a new console, because they're backed to a corner :
- No backwards compatibility = they need to keep releasing new games and they can't possibly do that. And they're running out of games to remake/remaster.

Tf you even talking about. Ps5 and XBOX would have been the first failures if that was the case, but guess what, both of them sold pretty well.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really was a matter of "right product at the right time" twice over for Switch. Both when it launched with no portable competition in 2017, and again when New Horizons launched right as the pandemic was ramping up. These factors won't be around to benefit Switch2, but it can still piggyback on the success of Switch if Nintendo play their cards right.
Absolutely, if they don't do a "Nintendo" but just make it an iterative upgrade so the performance isn't a bottleneck then I think most people will be happy.

I also think it's possible that this new delay rumour is a deliberate tactic to keep Switch sales from dropping off entirely as the hype was building a bit too quickly.

Reactions: ScaryHobbit and Xzi

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tf you even talking about. Ps5 and XBOX would have been the first failures if that was the case, but guess what, both of them sold pretty well.
The PS5 and Xbox are technologically relevant, have great third party support and have relevant online features.

They have decades of games to rerelease, starting with gamecube games which are in high demand.

Releasing the console with retro compatibility of a console that's sold over 140M is way more profitable than a few potential unwanted remasters, as it ensures a smooth transition and easier adoption.
If on top of that they can offer performance perks on the switch games (like the PS4 Pro/PS5 and Xbox did) then it's an even better argument.

I'd buy a switch 2 for the performance upgrade alone, even with no new games.

Also not sure why you're so sure the next one is bound to fail when Nintendo had nothing but successes recently. Yeah sure it had the Wii U, and before that it had the Wii, the SNES, the gameboy, the DS. One more failure of a console doesn't mean it's gonna be their last console. Nintendo owns a huge number of IPs that are beloved and trigger the nostalgia feeling, it would take a tremendous amount of screw ups for that to get destroyed.
I was talking about Nintendo building consoles, not their entire business. Nintendo has been struggling for many years to support their systems because they have had few third party AAA titles and can't keep up when it comes to developing new games, hence the hundreds of cheap remasters/remakes etc. The point of the Switch was to alleviate that issue by merging their console and portable systems. But the struggle is still very real, especially with the ever-growing technology gap between Nintendo and their competition, which has the consequence of making the Switch starve even more for third party AAA titles.

Even if Nintendo releases a new console and it's not a complete failure, I feel it's safe to say it won't be as successful and profitable as the Switch by a long shot, so they'll drop console building altogether to focus on more profitable aspects of the company and expand on their franchises on other ways, like mobile games, movies, theme parks etc... They've already started going in that direction.

And yes indeed there's still lots of Gamecube or N64 or GBA games to remake or remaster, but do you actually think upscaled versions of Super Mario Ball, Yoshi's Story or Kirby Air Ride are gonna sell new consoles when the Switch already got almost every notable game re-released ? And let's not forget Nintendo's main target is families, not hardcore gamers. Virtually every family on the planet has a Switch now, why would parents buy a more expensive and probably technologically marginally superior new console ? I'll be curious to see Nintendo try to pull that one off.

performance perks
lol this is Nintendo we're talking about.

why you're so sure the next one is bound to fail when Nintendo had nothing but successes recently
I don't see the logic here... Having a streak of success doesn't make you immune to failure. It's actually quite the opposite I believe.

All in all Nintendo is quite like Disney. These two companies have been resting on their laurels for a long while now, getting cheaper and cheaper with their new productions/services and milking fans more and more aggressively. So far it still works because of the "magic" of their franchises but this is bound to bite them in the ass sooner or later. Someday the magic will wear off. I can see the first signs of this turnaround happening these days to Disney. Nintendo is to follow eventually if they keep phoning it in.

Last edited by Ligeia,
Reactions: console

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
that will never happen because their fanboys are blind and stupid and will throw money at them no matter what they do. nintendo have already proved they are more despicable than apple now throwing down the dmchammer, charging full price fore OLD products, having a shitty online store and releasing new hardware that is barely more powerful than the last with the new guy in charge and they still support them! :rofl2:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
that will never happen because their fanboys are blind and stupid and will throw money at them no matter what they do. nintendo have already proved they are more despicable than apple now throwing down the dmchammer, charging full price fore OLD products, having a shitty online store and releasing new hardware that is barely more powerful than the last with the new guy in charge and they still support them! :rofl2:
Well there's definitely truth to that, maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Bladexdsl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game