The Nintendo Switch 2 has been delayed to 2025, according to reports

switch-2.jpg

The Nintendo Switch has had a dominant life as a hybrid console-handheld, enjoying success since its launch in 2017. However, late last year heard some rumblings that Nintendo was preparing to move onward to a successor to the Nintendo Switch. According to Video Games Chronicle, Eurogamer, and other insider sources, development kits for a "Switch 2" had already been sent out to third-party devs, and rumors were claiming that the system would launch sometime in 2024.

Now, things have changed. While Nintendo was planning to launch the Switch 2 around late 2024, those same insider sources claim that due to some internal delays, the next-gen Nintendo console is targeting a Q1 2025 launch--similar to the original Switch, which launched in March 2017. VGC's sources state that the Switch 2 still plans on being a hybrid system, offering portable functionality, while Eurogamer corroborates VGC's statements, while additionally adding that the reasoning is so that the Switch 2 features as many launch titles as possible.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this is Nintendo. It's in their interest to do this sort of thing, apparently, when it comes to hand helds.

Gameboy
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Colour

Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Gameboy Micro

DS
DSi
DS Lite

3DS
3DSXL
2DS
New 3DS
New 3DSXL

I'm probably missing a couple of models, too.
and New 2DS XL.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
because people have spent a lot to build their digital game libraries and losing access to it would just be a huge middle finger for the customers

*Looks at 3DS and Wii U.

Yeah there is a reason I haven't paid Nintendo even a cent when it comes to online stuff. All my Switch games are physical.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if they are delaying it to make sure the hardware is extra outdated before it comes out?
It’s call aged to perfection. You want that for your beef and same with your Switch

Anyway it might be collecting dusk if they launch it too early like they did for the Switch. They really should have aged it a bit better then

Last edited by TomSwitch,

sucrose1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, this is Nintendo. It's in their interest to do this sort of thing, apparently, when it comes to hand helds.

Gameboy
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Colour

Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Gameboy Micro

DS
DSi
DS Lite

3DS
3DSXL
2DS
New 3DS
New 3DSXL

I'm probably missing a couple of models, too.
Completely forgot the DSi (and XL)

Reactions: raxadian

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was really hoping it wouldn't be another hybrid console. I realize I'm in the minority but the Switch has not interested me at all. The couple Switch games I wanted to play were better on my PC than they can even be on the Switch. I was hoping for a traditional home console.

Same ....

Either make a proper handheld like a new GBA (which for me was the best of them all .... didn't like DS and 3DS that much even though of course the better visuals were nice .... never got used to the second screen)

and or make a proper home console, I really hate to get a "okay" home console and a "okay" handheld mashup instead of getting either a good home console or a good handheld :(

Reactions: RengeLK

zebrone

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Once Nate the Hate once told that the super mario 3D all stars was pushed to the next year. Two days later it was announced and released very quickly. He had the noble attitude of delete his wrong prediction tweet afterwards.

This guy is as wrong as Bloomberg for predictions.

That said, it's easy to guess a February direct, as it's happens every year.

Probably after the direct we will know more answers...

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I was really hoping it wouldn't be another hybrid console. I realize I'm in the minority but the Switch has not interested me at all. The couple Switch games I wanted to play were better on my PC than they can even be on the Switch. I was hoping for a traditional home console.
Exactly. I was really hoping for Nintendo to try something new.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Even if it was a home console you know Nintendo would make it woefully underpowered so it's not like you'd gain much.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
seriously man just give me another DS. fucking hacks at nintendo dude.

Nintendo can't possibly support two simultaneous systems anymore. The point of the Switch is to merge their console and portable systems without losing market share and there's no way they're backtracking at this point.

You are talking about a company that soldered a whole entire Wii OS onto the Wii U just to have Backwards Compatibility - a console which had a Gamepad that completely blew up its production cost.

Yeah and we saw how successful the Wii U was... At this point there's just no way Nintendo ever puts out a new console that's backwards compatible. The Switch wouldn't have survived if not for the countless remasters/remakes/ports/reissues/deluxe versions etc.

therabbitofthenorth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have "innovation" wrong. It refers to bringing something new that is markettable / bankable. The Switch was a better innovation than facebook's and apple's VR/AR headsets for instance. There is no question these headsets had required more R&D and brought better leaps in technology, but in the end, innovation wise, it's a different story.
I don’t, per Merriam-Webster:

innovation​

noun

in·no·va·tion ˌi-nə-ˈvā-shən

Synonyms of innovation
: a new idea, method, or device : NOVELTY

: the introduction of something new

No mention of market at all. Although I will say the Switch *was* more innovative (well, as innovative as a large PSP using already last-gen Nvidia Shield parts can be) than Apple’s A/VR helmet, since that’s just the same components as the Oculus Rift with worse first-party support and the Apple Tax. The original Oculus Rift was objectively far more innovative than the Switch could ever hope to be, it was effectively the Altair 8800 of the VR industry. The Switch was an objective market success, and shifted the focus to handhelds, but there was little technological innovation with its creation, because there simply isn’t much that can be innovated in the space. Putting a higher-pixel density screen and a bigger CPU inside of a case is not innovation.

CharlesDeGaulle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wether you like them or not, every nintendo related news is popular.

Very good points in this thread, thanks posters.
What will Nintendo come up with ?
Mixing handheld and home consoles was a brillant move.

Of course their hardware is outdated, game recycled for the Nth time and services average at best, but they give their audience what they want.

The SEGA Nomad was the exact same concept 25 years earlier (plus full retrocompatibility !), Gamecube games were more polished, NES and SNES games definitely more innovative...But the Nintendo Switch came at the right time.

Dads and salarymen don't have time for a home console, and PCs are our daily dull workstations.
NS, Steam deck and so one have evolved with their audience, the children who struggled on Mega man 2 or get lost in the first Metroid Maze (not even talking about the amiga generation !) have responsabilities along with their ludopathy to manage.

1708264217028.png

Microsoft and Sony are so out of touch, it's almost painful.
I'm surely the minority here who considers PS Vita the last innovative SONY console. I was too old to enjoy PS2 (highschool/prepatory classes) and to me PS3/PS4/PS5 are exactly the same thing, modulo resolution and refresh rate.

Time and technology seem frozen since 2000, why ?
The video game industry, like TV serials, cinema or music, are obese giants, full of content and licenses they just need to manage.

Innovations aren't needed anymore, "Méliès" and "Wright" eras are over, no wonder my generation considers gaming dead since almost a decade.

At least the ESG squad brings hilarious postmortem novelty.

1708264107611.png

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
They're doing pretty well for themselves, way to jump on the hate bandwagon for clout
but they have not been doing great for us. switch is under-powered.
Post automatically merged:

Ugh, another "hybrid"?

:shit:
it was never a hybrid, it was always a portable console (like gba, ds etc...) that has the ability to hook up to a TV.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Looks at 3DS and Wii U.

Yeah there is a reason I haven't paid Nintendo even a cent when it comes to online stuff. All my Switch games are physical.
Oops. Oh yeah they screwed those customers alright.

Nintendo can't say they don't want piracy and at the same time not offer an online service where its customers can download the games from.

By the way, physical Switch games tend to be incomplete so it needs to be connected to the internet to get the whole package. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [goes back to 🛌 ] zzzzzzzzzzzzzz