The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now fully playable in Cemu

Renowned Nintendo Wii U emulator, CEMU, is making quite an astonishing amount of progress. Team Cemu, the developers behind the emulator, which receives over $35,000 a month via Patreon, have recently released Cemu 1.7.4c, as of April 1, 2017. While you could play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at 720p on your Wii U, or even 900p on your Switch, thanks to Team Cemu's hard work, if you have a PC capable enough, it's possible to experience the latest Zelda game at 3840x2160, full 4K HD, even commonly hitting 30 frames per second. Of course, while there are intermittent bugs and glitches from being played on an emulator, as of this latest build, Breath of the Wild is fully playable, start to end, through Cemu. Not only that, but there are even custom graphic packs available to use as well, enhancing the visuals of the game even further. Of course, running the game in such a state takes a lot of power, as the video linked above utilized an i7 6700k and a GTX 1070 to allow for stable performance. Of course, you don't even need to upscale the game, though it still requires a fairly capable PC. While the latest build is backer only, the public will be able to experience Cemu 1.7.4c when it becomes available on April 9.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dolphin is an open source project. Anyone can view and use the code to their own pleasing without any sort of monetary requirement.
So I looked up the source code to dolphins
https://www.hgsc.bcm.edu/marine-mammals/dolphin-genome-project
but that did not make much sense so it was time for some learning
https://ds9a.nl/amazing-dna/

also the source code to emulator called dolphin
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/blob/master/license.txt
Seems to be unmodified GNU General Public License v2.0
Such a thing does not allow for unfettered use of the code in further projects, not by a long shot.

From the same link

Permissions [that the GPLv2 grants]

Commercial use
Modification
Distribution
Private use

Conditions

License and copyright notice
State changes
Disclose source
Same License

Should the cemu peeps have used the code from dolphin in their work and left it as closed source/without releasing changes then it would appear they are in violation of at least three, and perhaps all, of the conditions. Nobody has yet demonstrated that it is the case though, nor even shown anything that would show a strong chance of it.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I looked up the source code to dolphins
https://www.hgsc.bcm.edu/marine-mammals/dolphin-genome-project
but that did not make much sense so it was time for some learning
https://ds9a.nl/amazing-dna/

also the source code to emulator called dolphin
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/blob/master/license.txt
Seems to be unmodified GNU General Public License v2.0
Such a thing does not allow for unfettered use of the code in further projects, not by a long shot.

From the same link

Permissions [that the GPLv2 grants]

Commercial use
Modification
Distribution
Private use

Conditions

License and copyright notice
State changes
Disclose source
Same License

Should the cemu peeps have used the code from dolphin in their work and left it as closed source/without releasing changes then it would appear they are in violation of at least three, and perhaps all, of the conditions. Nobody has yet demonstrated that it is the case though, nor even shown anything that would show a strong chance of it.

Well then,maybe they use their $40K/mo. to actually develop their own code. Also, the link to "DNA seen through the eyes of a coder" link simply made my day. I am currently learning about this in High School Biology I and it really made things MUCH simpler for the class and the understanding of the topic. Thank you for correcting my ignorant mistakes also.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Without checking out the patreon promises vs work delivered, and without knowing the other legal history of the devs, also pending any word on the nature of code reuse, they appear to be taking money and delivering a product "as advertised". The claim of thieves would be something I then invite you to qualify.

Costing nothing? For myself I am versed in 3d modelling, coding, game theory, game design, 2d art, story writing techniques and can at least punch a piece of random music generation software hard enough that it spits out something listenable. All of the tools to do that are free software too. Thus I can make my own game for free. Are all games then free?
It is genuinely free as well, mainly as the funds required for me to eat and keep the screens that otherwise light my belfry juiced are procured by doing whatever it is that I call work. Were I not doing that then I might have more time and inclination to set about working on my games and thus get it done faster. Such a thing is presumably the expectation of many that would fund things. No argument that this is a pretty lucrative endeavour if indeed it is a couple of people but exploiting a niche is business basics really.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
LMAO yeah right i gauantee they aren't spending a cent of that $ on the actual emu. it costs NOTHING to develop an emu all they have to do is write code and fix bugs NO $ is needed for this! wait what am i saying they aren't writing ANy code they stole dolphins!! :glare: LOL people are just stupid paying $ thinking it will help get their fucking zelda in 4k/60 when in reality it's costing these thieves NOTHING to develop this :blink:
>Developing something costs nothing
I guess you only do charity work then and refuse any payment?

Where is any evidence at all that they stole any code?

"They aren't writing any code they stole dolphins"
So dolphin can now run Wii U games?

Last edited by DBlaze,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RyleWeststar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
LMAO yeah right i gauantee they aren't spending a cent of that $ on the actual emu. it costs NOTHING to develop an emu all they have to do is write code and fix bugs NO $ is needed for this! wait what am i saying they aren't writing ANy code they stole dolphins!! :glare: LOL people are just stupid paying $ thinking it will help get their fucking zelda in 4k/60 when in reality it's costing these thieves NOTHING to develop this :blink:
It's free if your time is worth nothing.

Taking your post seriously, you have now set my expectactions from your post now. I am expecting you to learn to develop an emulator and for you to develop with the velocity that we're seeing from cemu with no need to fund you. You better deliver.

Last edited by RyleWeststar,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many here can actually play this in Cemu enjoyably? That's not being snarky, I'm legitimately asking.

I have a pretty good setup, can play almost any modern game at 1080/60fps max settings. I can't get more than 15fps and graphics look washed out.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many here can actually play this in Cemu enjoyably? That's not being snarky, I'm legitimately asking.

I have a pretty good setup, can play almost any modern game at 1080/60fps max settings. I can't get more than 15fps and graphics look washed out.
Sure as hell not me. I can barely run Super Mario 3D World

Reactions: Benja81

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What's your CPU? I get very playable frame rates, got through 60 shrines and 3 divine beasts!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto