Fan-made Breath of the Wild mod "Second Wind" shows off overhauled Shrine challenges in new trailer

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, as it's tentatively being called, won't be out for a while yet. While you endure the excruciating wait for that game, you might be able to fill your Breath of the Wild cravings with a modpack for the first game. As described by the team (which has over 50 contributors working on it) behind the project, Second Wind is a "large scale expansion", acting as a fan-made DLC that adds upon Breath of the Wild, and even makes some QoL and bugfix improvements.

Second Wind contains two chapters: The Ancient Trials and The Ancient Island and offers a wealth of content, including 2 main quests, 20 side quests, new animals, enemies, bosses, weapons, shields, and more, as well as major changes to the game's Shrines. So far, only the first chapter, The Ancient Trials, has been released, which contains all of the aforementioned massive amounts of changes.

The project is currently available in beta form, for both the Wii U and Switch versions of the game, playable on Yuzu, Ryujinx, or Cemu emulators. The latest release is at v1.9.11a, and was released in January of this year. A new trailer was shown off by the team just recently, featuring some of the changes that have been made to the Shrine trials.

Both a Wiki and Discord channel for Second Wind are available, which detail the full list of changes, additions, and improvements within the modpack, as well as instructions as to how to install it for your preferred platform.

:arrow: Source

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Controversial opinion. I don't think that Mod is good (And that's aside from the tecnical issues that mod has on console, Figured out you can delay a panic bloodmoon by hoping around like a mad man and learned to take down Talus' while doing so, its great, i get to farm like 3 of them in 1 go) Not as bad as Relics of the past (More enemies doesn't mean harder game, it just means more annoying specially in the Lost Woods, Seriously whoever decided to put Lizalfos in the Lost Woods needs some serious ass kicking) But not great either.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
and even makes some QoL and bugfix improvements.
So...it gets rid of the obnoxious stamina and weapon/shield fragility mechanics, then? It shows you where each and every Korok Seed is, then? It removes the blatant misandry present in Gerudo Village, then? It makes resources far more plentiful, then? It allows you to maximise both Hearts and stamina, if the latter wasn't removed like it should be? It gets rid of Eventide Island and the Master Sword Trials' stripping of everything you've collected, then?

Those would all be massive QoL improvements, is why I ask.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So...it gets rid of the obnoxious stamina and weapon/shield fragility mechanics, then? It shows you where each and every Korok Seed is, then? It removes the blatant misandry present in Gerudo Village, then? It makes resources far more plentiful, then? It allows you to maximise both Hearts and stamina, if the latter wasn't removed like it should be? It gets rid of Eventide Island and the Master Sword Trials' stripping of everything you've collected, then?

at that point you might as well just play any other open world game

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
at that point you might as well just play any other open world game
True, but I played it just to try to understand why people liked it so much; even after completing the thing, I still cannot see why, when it's so aggressively mediocre. I didn't even mention the pseudo-dungeons, the four giant beasts, that just did not have the same atmosphere.

I'd much prefer Assassin's Creed Origins or Ghost of Tsushima as "medieval" (non-modern-era) open-world games.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but I played it just to try to understand why people liked it so much; even after completing the thing, I still cannot see why, when it's so aggressively mediocre. I didn't even mention the pseudo-dungeons, the four giant beasts, that just did not have the same atmosphere.

I'd much prefer Assassin's Creed Origins or Ghost of Tsushima as "medieval" (non-modern-era) open-world games.
factual
try playing GTA4 instead, it's one of the few actually good open world games

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is cool how they managed to mod shrines but I'm mainly interested on how they will further change the overworld.
That's what I didn't like about the DLCs for the original game, they were just some extra shrines with not really much new to explore.

There are enough reviews, videos and even threads on gbatemp why this game is so beloved.
I don't understand why you're ranting here.

Last edited by sley,

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

For me those all mechanics make the game unique and force you to play it in a different way. I miss that for most newer games.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There are enough reviews, videos and even threads on gbatemp why this game is so beloved.
I don't understand why you're ranting here.
There are plenty of third-party sources, but it's another thing to play the game itself and actually experience it.
I'm not "ranting", just listing ways the game would be massively improved.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are plenty of third-party sources, but it's another thing to play the game itself and actually experience it.
Yeah it would be cool if the team changed some mechanics to freshen up the gameplay. I agree with the Titans being a joke compared to dungeons in earlier Zelda games, but the rest of the stuff you listed were intentional design decisions and not something you can call a flaw of the game because that would have to improve the experience for everyone.

Reactions: Full Metal

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
If you strip the game off its challenges, very little stays to play for. I'm not saying I liked this mod nor hate it but if you feel you want something specific then do it yourself.
Alternatively, cheats can give you what you want.

Reactions: EthanObi

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France

You just didn't liked what BoTW had to offer and that's fine, but I still think it's one of the best open world games there is despite it's flaws and that's just because it offered something that all other open world games failed to deliver before and that's just a pure sense of freedom

I liked Origins quite a bit but it doesn't hold anything against BoTW in that sense, I liked how beautiful it was and how easy it was to traverse the world, but the map is too big for no good reason just like almost every Ubisoft game, it's filled with stupid ways to extend the game with dumb but mandatory story missions when it's not just a « soft xp lock » that's blocking you so it's asking you to farm for xp to get further into the game (oh but if you don't like that, there are nice xp boosters available on the shop !!!!), in Odyssey it asked me to give almost all my money to a story character that wasn't even there for long for a story quest, like sure in BoTW you can give all your money to fairies but that's not mandatory for you to complete the game, you aren't literally forced to give your 10k rupees, in Odyssey you are

The huge thing that made BoTW popular is that it is basically Zelda 1's philosophy but in a modern game, it doesn't hold your hand just like almost every other open world game.
Like sure, GTA is cool and I really enjoy it, but there's a huge dichotomy between the freedom you have outside of missions and the HUGE linearity in missions where you really don't have anything to do by yourself, BoTW don't have that and you feel that freedom everytime. The map isn't too big and is interesting all the time even tho people will say that « muh it's boring it's empty » like yeah duh it's kinda post apocalyptic, doesn't mean that it's bad design because it's genuinely one of the best open world map there is, it could be bigger but it's not because it would be worse and Ubisoft open world games failed to understand that, they just make big and beautiful maps but don't make them interesting enough

And honestly the combat in Assassin's Creed is as bad as it is in BoTW, sure your weapons don't break but they compensate by making the ennemies even more tankier and that's just not really funny tbh

It's fine to not like BoTW, not every game is for everybody and actually I'm kinda glad you don't like it because it means that it's goal wasn't to just be for everyone, but it reconcilied me with the open world genre which was the same since Far Cry 3 and even then I just couldn't finish it because the map was boring and I was tired of climbing towers for a tiny map stamp (and BoTW totally fixed it and told literally everyone in the industry how towers should be made in open world games)

Now I hope that BoTW 2 will correct it's flaws, but if BoTW 1 got so much success and praise, it's not because it's flawless, it's because it succeeded in offering something that felt completely new despite the fact that open world games were so popular and everywhere, there's a reason that everybody took lessons from it, doesn't mean it's a perfect game or that everyone should enjoy it, but it is a wonderful game and that's undeniable, it's far from mediocre, it just wasn't what you were looking for in an open world game and that's absolutely fine, to me it clicked all the checks and for some who liked how open world games used to be made (I didn't, felt like too many times it could be replaced by a select menu and that's bad design to me), they still enjoyed the changes, hence the praise

Reactions: EthanObi

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Am surprised Nintendont did not let loose its lawyers on these dudes with an injunction.
There's a fine line between takedowns saving Nintendo money, protecting IPs, and stifling BOTW being a huge part of the gaming zeitgeist. Shutting down pirates who would buy these games anyway because they are superfans is a no brainer. Nintendo has made piracy so hard that you also need to be a hacking scene superfan to keep up with it. But shutting down something that keeps BOTW in the minds of the gaming scene doesn't earn Nintendo money. Most publishers need to pay money for this kind of ongoing exposure.

Reactions: chocoboss

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work