Cemu Wii U emulator goes open source, Linux version now available

dddddddddddddddddddddd.png

The Cemu development team hyped some big features and changes coming to their emulator, back in January, and now they're delivering on those promises. In the latest release of the emulator, Cemu 2.0, it is now fully open source. There is also a brand new Linux version, allowing users to emulate their Wii U games on the platform, though they are currently preliminary builds. A new GitHub repository is available to check out, starting at the 2.0 release build. As for the Linux version, a pre-built release is only available for Ubuntu 20.04, meaning that you'll need to compile it yourself if you plan on using it with other distros.

:arrow: Download / Source

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didnt some guy some guy use linux to get Cemu to run on the PS4 Pro? so a port of it could be possible

Honestly, it's probably doable. PS4 is an x86 machine after all which means the code for CEMU would probably be easily portable granted hardware acceleration works on the PS4's OS side. Most of the hard work running from emulation is translating one architecture to another, so that part has already been done

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, it's probably doable. PS4 is an x86 machine after all which means the code for CEMU would probably be easily portable granted hardware acceleration works on the PS4's OS side. Most of the hard work running from emulation is translating one architecture to another, so that part has already been done
I mean,if some guy got dreamcast to run on the PSP, then porting CEMU should be possible, hell 3DS should also be possible... if you dont mind using a Vita as your tablet screen for both

StaticShock01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't this the reason why this wasn't on Retroarch? Or at least one of the reasons? I faintly remember there being a Q&A in an Xbox One/Xbox Series discord for homebrew that Cemu wasn't coming to Retroarch bc of this.

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why wasn't an emulator open source in the first place? Not trying to be an ass, just genuinely wondering.
Probably to hide the fact that they were using Nintendo SDK in the beginning to get better emulation. Since they're open source now I'm guessing that they removed those parts slowly replacing them with their own but needed to use the SDK as a starting point.

Just my guess, although it's not like we could ever prove or disprove it, SDK usage is heavily shunned and Cemu would never admit to it even if they actually did do it.

• Wow
Reactions: Tur7L3 and City

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stoked that the devs finally made good on their promise. Hopefully, development on Cemu can progress exponentially to the degree that it becomes on par w/ Dolphin... I know success doesn't happen overnight so I'm curbing my expectations 😁

Reactions: Henx

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The Cemu development team hyped some big features and changes coming to their emulator, back in January, and now they're delivering on those promises. In the latest release of the emulator, Cemu 2.0, it is now fully open source. There is also a brand new Linux version, allowing users to emulate their Wii U games on the platform, though they are currently preliminary builds. A new GitHub repository is available to check out, starting at the 2.0 release build. As for the Linux version, a pre-built release is only available for Ubuntu 20.04, meaning that you'll need to compile it yourself if you plan on using it with other distros.

:arrow: Download / Source
Looks like Nintendo will be moving some WiiU games to new consoles!

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NICE!
It will be interesting how Cemu develops as an open-source emu.

I've ripped half of my Wii U collection and tested out Cemu a few months back, and I'm shocked at just how well it runs on PC compared to GameCube/Wii and PS2 emulation.
Like, my RX480 and i7-6700 can run Xenoblade X full speed with only a quarter usage.
Having the Wii U's architecture being more in line with PC architecture makes a massive difference in that regard.

Reactions: KnightsMetal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work