The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now fully playable in Cemu

Renowned Nintendo Wii U emulator, CEMU, is making quite an astonishing amount of progress. Team Cemu, the developers behind the emulator, which receives over $35,000 a month via Patreon, have recently released Cemu 1.7.4c, as of April 1, 2017. While you could play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at 720p on your Wii U, or even 900p on your Switch, thanks to Team Cemu's hard work, if you have a PC capable enough, it's possible to experience the latest Zelda game at 3840x2160, full 4K HD, even commonly hitting 30 frames per second. Of course, while there are intermittent bugs and glitches from being played on an emulator, as of this latest build, Breath of the Wild is fully playable, start to end, through Cemu. Not only that, but there are even custom graphic packs available to use as well, enhancing the visuals of the game even further. Of course, running the game in such a state takes a lot of power, as the video linked above utilized an i7 6700k and a GTX 1070 to allow for stable performance. Of course, you don't even need to upscale the game, though it still requires a fairly capable PC. While the latest build is backer only, the public will be able to experience Cemu 1.7.4c when it becomes available on April 9.

bnolsen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by bnolsen,

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even getting a legit copy of BOTW WiiU seems like hard work, I wonder pretty much everyone else just straight out pirate everything?

I hope not. Tis kind of game is the one where you should feel ashamed getting it for free. Shigeru's team should earn their efforts you know.

Ahhh I'm so whiny these dayss

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This thread went to full flame drama because half of gbatemp users are retarded.
Can I apply a ban hammer? Can I? Can I please?

Oh... I just forgot I'm not a moderator.
I suppose I will go sleeping so I can keep on fantasizing with my power delusion Utopia on my dreams.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Argh, why do these things have to devolve to this? CEMU can run BotW even somewhat smoothly? Excellent! It can emulate the last real WiiU game and a shoddy port for the switch yet so many keep on thinking it's existence is the entire foundation for the system. It's a technical marvel! Instead we immediately sink into the obligatory flame war? It's like the haters on both sides are just waiting to jump into any excuse to start a fight.

acidmango

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This thread went to full flame drama because half of gbatemp users are retarded.
Can I apply a ban hammer? Can I? Can I please?

Oh... I just forgot I'm not a moderator.
I suppose I will go sleeping so I can keep on fantasizing with my power delusion Utopia on my dreams.

Well to be fair, its not just GBATemp users that are going full-drama. It's a bad scene everywhere right now.

BTW, this emulator (1.7.4c) runs BotW terribly on i7 5820k 4.3GHz & AMD Fury X 4GB HBM
Get around 20FPS, and everything looks super jank.
Probably because AMD GPU and 12-thread CPU running the emulation on a single core. Whatevs, I'm sure if CEMU team continues to develop they'll have something decent.

Hey, anyone remember no$gba?

genxor

Trophies
XP
Country
Hopefully in time AMD GPUs will get some love from coders now that the company has started to get it together again, if it's technically possible. From memory there's a good explanation on the Dolphin wiki about why the AMD GPUs aren't great for this type of emulation

morgoth32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, all consoles work in a different way, but aged people who follow emulation since 10 years and more know there is something strange with this emulator.
How a small team can make so fast progress to emulate the WiiU when you know it took YEARS to get something decent with the ps2, gamecube. And look at RCPS3 and Xenia state right now... I don't even mention CxBx.

If this emulator is totally legit (source ?) exzap is the new Bill Gates, Geohot, even better than the team overflow...

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hopefully in time AMD GPUs will get some love from coders now that the company has started to get it together again, if it's technically possible. From memory there's a good explanation on the Dolphin wiki about why the AMD GPUs aren't great for this type of emulation

Now, that, I gotta see. Maybe the donors can request AMD support? Isn't the GPU of the Wii U, AMD or something? Wouldn't that make it easier? I don't know much about emulation then again it's up to the expertise of the developer I guess.

Reactions: Deleted User

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
just to make things clear i'm even a wiiu owner, but seems both latest Nintondo's consols aren't powerful enough to run BOTW at full of its glory, i'll choose to play wherever has more stable fps

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm glad that those less fortunate can play such a fantastic game.
I'll probably play through it again in 4K once the game is glitch free on Cemu, until then, it's the Switch version for me.

S77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe in 5 years this emulator will be able to emulate Wii U games accurately, or maybe 10 years. The latest released console that has accurate emulator is the PS1, everything after that is garbage. N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and Wii definately have playable emulators, but they're nowhere near the original experience. Also, why would anyone use a 2000$ PC to massively struggle to play a Wii U game with glitches, slowdowns and crashes when they can get a Wii U for 1/10 of the price?

RyleWeststar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How a small team can make so fast progress to emulate the WiiU when you know it took YEARS to get something decent with the ps2, gamecube. And look at RCPS3 and Xenia state right now... I don't even mention CxBx.
Maybe they're following industry standards for rapid software delivery like Agile-Scrum?

If this emulator is totally legit (source ?) exzap is the new Bill Gates, Geohot, even better than the team overflow...
Or they're doing it as their day job with modern development processes... Which, for the money they're earning on Patreon, wouldn't be too suprising.

I think this would only look like a strange accomplishment to people that have done software development as a hobby without working in teams that use methodologies like agile, scum, lean, rapid application development, prince2 agile etc.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I don't like that they are making money with an emulator and because people want to pirate a game.

franchy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I wonder if this is legit work, or if they utilized stolen code/documents to get it running as such. Hard to tell when the project itself is closed-source.

That's quite a bold statement, can you tell me how many Wii U emulators are there on the internet?

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
How many more decades until the averagely available computer can decently run it?
Considering you can do 4K 30 with a Pentium G4650, 4GB of RAM and a GTX 1050, 0. Notebooks nowadays pack enough power to run BOTW at least in 720p 30
I'm playing on a 560Ti 448, 8GB and an i5 2500k at 1440p. 0 issues whatsoever.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering you can do 4K 30 with a Pentium G4650, 4GB of RAM and a GTX 1050, 0. Notebooks nowadays pack enough power to run BOTW at least in 720p 30
I'm playing on a 560Ti 448, 8GB and an i5 2500k at 1440p. 0 issues whatsoever.
That sounds like it costed twice the price of a switch or ps4

S

Saiyan Lusitano

If Nintendo hasn't hit them with a C&D before, they will do now. Wherever there's money, a C&D is bound to show up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto