The Last Air-bender

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
I was looking back through some Avatar episodes and I found a clip on Youtube that completely followed my thinking behind the movie.

EDIT: *SINP
Holy SHIT!! I remember that episode!! OMG I am just going to watch the whole series again, and say: fuck this movie. If it really is a bad as Guild says, I should not even support it by buying tickets!! Fuck! Thanks for the heads up Guild!!
ohnoes.png
ohnoes.png
ohnoes.png
ohnoes.png
S:

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Oh God, this movie was utter crap. I mean, the guy that plays Sokka played the freakish ugly looking constipated all the time vampire in Twilight and he's 25, and he's not very convincing as 15! I mean M.Night friggin Shamalan directed it. A supposed kids movie. He directs nearly all horror movies and he also directed the incredibly ugly Lady in the Water. Everyone thought that Lady in The Water was the worst movie of his career. Well, it isn't. No, it's this crap. He paid absolutely no attention to ethnic groups. He took out all comedy and culture in it. It's a shoe in to win an award. That is the Raspberry Award. I'm willing to bet this is the most nominated.

I'm trying to tell my best friend to not waste his money on this, but he won't. That's cause we're both huge Avatar fans, but this is one of the worst disgraces to an original I've ever seen.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just this movie like 3 days ago with my boy friend and just sat there the whole movie amazed at how bad it was.
The acting was downright horrible, I mean from being cheese and feeling like it was forced. All the characters were nothing like their TV show counterparts. With Aang, he wasn't at all the fun loving childish kid he was made to be in the show, he was cry baby and way too serous, Katara was downright stupid compared to the show, and Sokka way too wrong, just wrong.
The names were pretty much all wrong and most of the words they quoted from the show were mispronounced. Good example would be Aang himself who they called "Ong."
The special effects were pretty lame for 2010. Most of them were just too CG.
The fighting was laughable since most of the time no one was even hitting anyone or unlike the show, they had to like dance first to bend, which was all way over the top.
Looking at the story, it was a very brief look at book one and I mean very brief. It was like first episode, a few here and there, last episode, which they fucked up on so badly it made me walk out of the theater. They didn't even have Aang turn into that huge water monster that started destroying the fire army, instead
He made a big wave and put it down...he did nothing, he didn't even hit any of the books really. He just made a big wave and put it down and the war was over...LAME!

Pretty much, the movie was horrible, the only good part was the voice acting. Yeah the voices weren't half bad, most of them sounded pretty close to the show. Thumbs up for one good thing.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm here to report that I have the dvds of the cartoon handy (I can use cartoon because it actually is one in this case, it's not an anime).

I liked the cartoon, and I liked the movie. The opening scene is nearly a carbon copy of the cartoon opening.

Keep in mind this is a live film, no amount of wanting will make it easy to film live what someone can casually draw. Then again, sometimes CGI can totally own what can take a lot of time and effort to draw.

I liked the special effects. And the sound track was damned good. The big moment at the end of the film the climax encounter is stunning all because of the emotional tempo caused by the film.

You might not like this film if you are male and 13 to 15, but then a lot of you lads whine that your girlfriend whines "why can't you be more like [insert name of Twilight dude I can't remember here]". Suck it up buttercup.

I saw this with the wife, a girlfriend next door and her mom. We all liked it. The mom was ok with it, the girlfriend has seen the cartoon. The wife has not seen the cartoon but enjoys a nice action oriented show often enough.

I have two buddies in their 30s that saw the show earlier. One liked it the other thought it was cut short a bit. But neither hated it.

I liked the way they did Ang. I thought the two water bender tribes companions were ok too. I was able to see the cartoons personalities in all of them just fine.

Clone of the series though, no it wasn't a clone of the series. Lord of the Rings left out most of the book too. Get over it.
There is a reason why most films that are major funny that are animated, are as great as they are when they are. They are usually one shot originals.
The moment you try to make a movie from a book or animated source, you will have pissed off fan boys.

You guys are really just that eh, just pissed off fan boys
smile.gif

The show's 3d though wasn't too great, I will admit that. I think 3d live is a lot harder to do well than 3d drawn.
So what the 3d wasn't too magnificent.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's that bad? I really don't like going to the movies, but with my cable service we get four free movie tickets a week (Every Tuesday).

My family normally doesn't even go, but I'll probably go today or next week just to see it because how bad it is.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
Clone of the series though, no it wasn't a clone of the series. Lord of the Rings left out most of the book too. Get over it.
There is a reason why most films that are major funny that are animated, are as great as they are when they are. They are usually one shot originals.
The moment you try to make a movie from a book or animated source, you will have pissed off fan boys.

smile.gif

Uh huh, but how does that explain that a lot of people I know hated it but haven't even watched the cartoon? They all said it was incredibly dragging and boring, and it barely had a story to it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:
And the balls for Shaymalan to put such an obvious cliffhanger for making another movie (there are 3 seasons of Avatar, you know)
How would you did the cliffhanger?

You don't. Movies this bad don't deserve a cliffhanger.

laugh.gif

QUOTE(A Gay Little Cat Boy @ Jul 6 2010, 08:04 AM)
He made a big wave and put it down...he did nothing, he didn't even hit any of the books really. He just made a big wave and put it down and the war was over...LAME!
U mean boats right?
tongue.gif
Thought he was going to drop it(the wave) :/ and Zuko just happen to be there to see the avatar break out at the beginning :/ (thought I understand because of time)

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Jul 6 2010, 09:18 PM)

smile.gif

Book and animated sources like x-man ,Spiderman, hulk, and batman , they were good.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am not stating it is a young people thing, as I know older people are like this as well.

I think society simply needs too much 'action' in their movies these days.

Myself, I am not as demanding.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get so annoyed when people compare movies to the series is was based off of. I mean, the plot was the same and that is all that matters really. I was meant to bring Avatar: The Last Airbender to a larger audience, not mimic the show exactly. If they DID try to mimic the show, this movie would be like 10 hours long. Now that that's out of the way, on to my opinion. It was pretty decent. The plot was great, the actors were good, the effects were awesome. My only nag was a lack of deep character development and the fact that the movie wasn't long enough. Due to it only being an hour and a half, it felt a little too fast-paced in my opinion. So, yeah, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't ground-breaking either, it was just good. I would give it an 8.5/10.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
I was looking back through some Avatar episodes and I found a clip on Youtube that completely followed my thinking behind the movie.

Oh man, this was hilarious! I personally liked the movie, but this perfectly summarizes what fans of the series that were expecting a clone were thinking.

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The movie wasn't that bad, it just wasn't great. It's ok for a movie by itself but it had a lot to live up to to be great. Also I agree on the slow bending and random races in the movie. They know they could have done that much better.

Also the famous sokk-casm was really absent lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei5hC8ahLoc