Thoughts on Sailor Stars

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I've watched the entire season it was time for this post. I freggin LOVE Stars! I still rank Pretty Guardian above this but Stars is a close second. I really wished Cloverway had the courage to dub this season. The starlights aren't an issue at all. Hell if they were so worried about the gender-bending then screw what Naoko says about "no male scouts" and make the Starlights completely male. To be honest, having a set of male scouts adds a bit of flavor that's quite appropriate for the inner Scout's first year of high school. Additionally it would be some acknowledgement of the male fan-base. The borny moment that Sailor Moon has needed for roughly 30 years.

The way the inner Scouts interact with the Starlights is playful, cheerful, amusing and just plain adorable. The balance of energy from the two sides was perfect. Now I need to talk about the downsides because there are a few that drove me crazy. First off, is Serena (Usagi for you purists) the damn team lead or not?! Even if she's not team lead, she is definitely the muthafuckin princess! There needs to be some sort of team structure. Hell, Luna and Artemis are no longer doing their mentor thing and everybody is just winging it.

Seriously, Serena needs to start putting these ladies, ESPECIALLY the outers in fucking line! There was one episode where she finally went off on Uranus about how she's tired of everyone making decisions for her but by the end of the episode she never holds on to that fire and once again lets Uranus hold her back from Seiya. WTF?!?! As for story the Queen Nehellenia Arc was a beautiful story about loneliness and how it can drive one mad. Not quite a perfect story but I can see where it was going. The trust issues between the Sol System Scouts and the Starlights could have been a perfect story about prejudice and how it keeps people from truly understanding each other and keeps people from fighting against the real evils in life. Sadly it doesn't quite hit the mark.

The last few episodes were exposition heavy but without proper substence. If there was a place where this season could improve, it would be the telling of the overall "Sailor War" I feel like nuggets of the story should have been spread out and not the dump we received at the end. For the most part, I'm left with more questions than answers. In any case, I don't want to make this a giant wall of text so I'll stop here.

Reactions: SylverReZ

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well... I saw all of this dubbed back in the 90s, of course dubbed in Spanish /lol 90's American Anime scene.

Anyway, I liked Stars, but back TBH SM-R and SM-S , specially the latter, were the ones I enjoyed the most.
Perhaps because Hotaru, Haruka and Michiru were my favorite characters back then.
Actually, I think you may dislike my partiality for the outers based on your post.

To be honest I only watched this during the 90s, some 25 years ago... I can't remember very well, or mostly anything at all but the general feeling that those characters resonated with me back when I was in high school. I wonder what would be my opinion of these characters or the series if I rewatched it nowadays, maybe I would hate them who knows :rofl2:

I also played the SNES/Megadrive games, everything was OK with the beat-em-up games... but regarding Sailor Moon Another Story, I certainly had a love/hate relationship with that game, the insane random battle encounter rate drove me crazy.

Oh wait, this is going way too off-topic. I mean, Sailor Stars was great and that beautiful "Makenai..." opening was very enjoyable, to the point I still remember it today as if I was watching it on my old 21" CRT back in 1998. (yeah, that was the year it broadcasted in South America, no simulcasting back then :rofl2:).

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: