Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When I open the setting menu, it already has USB bolded, if I click on it again, I get an error of 'Exception (DSI) occured!'
The sd option is not bolded.
Are you using the official Hackmii installer to install HBC or did you install a WAD version of the open source HBC?

Did you try a different SDHC card? (don't use SDXC)

did you try a different FAT32 USB? or just unplug everything and see if nothing is bold in the settings, meaning no hardware is detected.
be sure it's FAT32, not exFAT, etc.
try different things to narrow the issue.

Harx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used the hackmii in Flimflam69's wii u hacking guide. found here: https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki/7:-vWii-Modding

The sd card works, apps show up when I use an sd card, however I dont have one big enough to fit wii games on it. Well, any more than just a single wii game.
I dont have a spare Fat32 usb, and I checked, and the hdd i'm trying to use is fat32.
I unplugged everything, and nothing is bold in the settings.
It was bold if I leave in my other hdd, the one specially formatted by the wii-u, which has an external power source.

I hope all this helps.

Funkymon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't remember how I hacked my vWii, so I can't confirm if I went through all the steps. At the time, I only wanted to use USB Loader GX for GameCube support. Is there any way to check which cIOS files I previously installed?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So um, the Tales of Symphonia hack is only for PAL systems. . but what if your game is NTSC? Is there any way to use it to hack the console, when generally speaking you'd need a hacked console to run out-of-region games to begin with? I happen to own the NTSC version of ToS as it was released way before EU version, but I don't own any of the other games :(

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
So um, the Tales of Symphonia hack is only for PAL systems. . but what if your game is NTSC? Is there any way to use it to hack the console, when generally speaking you'd need a hacked console to run out-of-region games to begin with? I happen to own the NTSC version of ToS as it was released way before EU version, but I don't own any of the other games :(
You can use wuphax to hack without any games

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You can use wuphax to hack without any games

Soo this guide is blatantly lying then? (Meaning that it's outdated):

1. This guide isn’t dated. There aren’t any “new” developments that will likely crop up post-writing, so what’s here is what there is.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Soo this guide is blatantly lying then? (Meaning that it's outdated):

1. This guide isn’t dated. There aren’t any “new” developments that will likely crop up post-writing, so what’s here is what there is.

Yeah it's definitely needs to be updated for sure
You can ignore the installing HBC using save game exploit and use other tutorial like this one here https://gbatemp.net/threads/mattkimuras-wii-u-hacking-guide.462121/ (check the Hack vWii without a required game (Installing Homebrew Channel) section)
But after that you can back to using this tutorial because everything else is still relevant (dump nand backup, install cios, etc)

Reactions: Distrance

Harx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey there,
My usb loader gx keeps getting stuck on 'Initialize usb' when loading. At random it will work and I can play games fine, but most of the time, like 90%, it doesnt.
This causes my Wii-u to freeze, and I have to do a hard reset, aka, pull out the power and plug it back in.

Help please?

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there,
My usb loader gx keeps getting stuck on 'Initialize usb' when loading. At random it will work and I can play games fine, but most of the time, like 90%, it doesnt.
This causes my Wii-u to freeze, and I have to do a hard reset, aka, pull out the power and plug it back in.

Help please?
one workaround is to wait for usb loader gx to say waiting for hdd before pluging in the hdd. so basically start usbloader without the hdd plugged in and it will say waiting for hdd. then plug it in. the other issue i have is the i use a y splitter cabble for my portable hdd but for some reason i have to connect the supplementary power to my pc for power. if i connect both connectors to the wiiu , it won't recognize the hdd. so you can try that. let me knw if this helps.

SonGoku78

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi @ all,

if anyone is still watching this thread and could help, would be very appreciated.
After successfully modding my Wii U, now i want to make the next step in modding vWii.
So before i start, i just want to make sure couple things, so i won´t brick.

I want to:
1. Install Homebrew Channel with wuphax 1.1
2. Read vWii Infos and Backup etc follwing this guide here.
3. Follow the rest of this guide, so basically install cIOS etc...
For installing cIOS etc i remember i had to have internet connection on my original Wii back then.
Is this still the case ? Because i blocked my Wii U completely out of Internet through my router.
If connection is mandatory, can i safely lift the block for the time of modding vWii and then just block it again ?

I should be good with the rst of the guide so far. Just few questions left though:

1. I want to use cheats on my Wii games, is this still possible like on my original Wii ? I know i have to give internet access to download latest cheat files though if possible (for now i just want to play okami again)

2. I have still some original Gamecube games, but as NTSC Version, my Wii U is PAL. Can i run these original discs with Nintendont ? Preferably with cheats too ? I love playing Resident Evil with unlimited ammo & health, can´t help it :)

So if you are still reading until these lines, thank you very much, and thank you even more if you can help with my questions.

Cheers everyone

Harx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
one workaround is to wait for usb loader gx to say waiting for hdd before pluging in the hdd. so basically start usbloader without the hdd plugged in and it will say waiting for hdd. then plug it in. the other issue i have is the i use a y splitter cabble for my portable hdd but for some reason i have to connect the supplementary power to my pc for power. if i connect both connectors to the wiiu , it won't recognize the hdd. so you can try that. let me knw if this helps.

Neither of those would help me. Hope I dont sound rude, but I want to be able to just click and load the vWii, not fiddle around squatting with the cables. And I dont have a pc next to my wii u, so I'm afriad that one is a no-go as well.

SonGoku78

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi again,

quick new questions:

Can i use the same SD Card that i am using already for my Wii U Mod ? It is a MicroSD in an SD Adaptor. Or should i use a different SD Card ? And i guess this would mean i have to switch SD Card according to what i want to play (Wii U or Wii) ?

I have a 120 GB HDD: IDE/ATA133, can i use this HDD, or would it be too slow for Wii Games ? HDD is going in a USB 2 external Case with its on Power Supply.

Thanks again in advance.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi @ all,

if anyone is still watching this thread and could help, would be very appreciated.
After successfully modding my Wii U, now i want to make the next step in modding vWii.
So before i start, i just want to make sure couple things, so i won´t brick.

I want to:
1. Install Homebrew Channel with wuphax 1.1
2. Read vWii Infos and Backup etc follwing this guide here.
3. Follow the rest of this guide, so basically install cIOS etc...
For installing cIOS etc i remember i had to have internet connection on my original Wii back then.
Is this still the case ? Because i blocked my Wii U completely out of Internet through my router.
If connection is mandatory, can i safely lift the block for the time of modding vWii and then just block it again ?
Short answer: Yep already good. Just make sure to use WAD specifically for vWii
Long answer: Personally I'd recommend this tutorial https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki/7:-vWii-Modding, just hacked another vWii last month using this guide but somehow some people here just plainly hate that guide
So if you already know how to use wuphax to install HBC then just do it and use guide in the first post for the rest (installing cIOS etc)

d2x cIOS Installer already provided the required WADs so I think you can use it offline, but to be safe you can let your Wii U to connect to the internet temporarily as there's no risk for being online atm
Hi again,

quick new questions:

Can i use the same SD Card that i am using already for my Wii U Mod ? It is a MicroSD in an SD Adaptor. Or should i use a different SD Card ? And i guess this would mean i have to switch SD Card according to what i want to play (Wii U or Wii) ?

I have a 120 GB HDD: IDE/ATA133, can i use this HDD, or would it be too slow for Wii Games ? HDD is going in a USB 2 external Case with its on Power Supply.

Thanks again in advance.
As long as you can fit everything in one SD card then you don't neef another one
Can't say much about the HDD but ATA133 is ancient. I don't think you can get good speed with that

Last edited by Garou,

SonGoku78

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey @Garou thankks for your answers. Modding is already done :) just have to test it with udbloader gx and nintendont. So i read that its a no go to use Gamecube Disks in tha Wii U. So i will just go with rips from my discs. I guess NTSC Version should be fine on my Pal vWii right ?
And what about cheats for Gamecube Games with Nintendont ? Is that possible ?

SonGoku78

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi @Garou and all others too of course,

1. HDD seems to work flawless despite its very old. But its logic since it has data rate over 100 MB, and USB2 is not even near that :) But will test thoroughly though.

My question: I wanted to download cheats for Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil Zero, Broken Sword and Okami. I get a message that the code file was not found.
So can i just download the ones for the NTSC Versions and just rename the filename according to the PAL Gamecode ? Would that work ?
Thanks very much for your help guys and girls. Cheers

SonGoku78

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry @ all to bother you again.
More problems occuring:
I tried cheats for Resident Evil 2 with nintendont, and they simply seem not to work. I just want infinite health along infinite ammo. if someone git this working and could help would be very appreciated.

Second problem, which is more important: Okami keeps crashing and i need to unplug power for wii u and restart.
I remember when there was no usb loader i had problems with the burned disc too (i had a mod chip in my wii back then). the game always told me the disc could not be read when playing. this occured very often.
So is there something special with okami ? like a disc check or anti piracy methods which could cause this problems ? i really want to play okami again, as i never have finished it.
So if there is anything that i can do to prevent it from crashing, help would be very appreciated.
Because other games seem to work properly and i think it is only related to okami especially...
Thanks in advance, cheers

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry I don't use cheats and don't play games from different region as well, so I can't help you with that :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...