The beginning of the end for freeShop - first party titles no longer downloadable

VljLxOM.png

Much to the dismay of pirates everywhere, It appears that Nintendo is finally rolling out the infrastructure changes to their Content Delivery Network to put an end to apps like freeShop, Villain3DS, TikDevil, and FunKeyCIA, among others.

For those of you that missed out, in the recent 11.8.0-41 update for the Nintendo 3DS, several changes to how the NIM service handles downloading Nintendo 3DS software from the eShop were made. The main change involves sending an encrypted copy of the user's game ticket to their server for authentication. If the server finds the ticket is invalid, or no ticket is provided, the server could deny you access to the content files you are trying to retrieve.

This level of granular per-title validation will effectively put an end to any software that relies on the open availability of content files on the Nintendo CDN to function, including freeShop, CIAngel, TikDevil, and even PC based clients such as Villain3DS, PlaiCDN, and FunKeyCIA to name a few.

However, up until earlier today, the server wasn't denying anyone downloads at all. However, multiple reputable sources have stated that the changes have begun to roll out and that it is unlikely that any workarounds will be found.

Because this followup round of changes is server side, this effects all firmware and all devices trying to download from the Nintendo CDN. Staying on 11.7 or below will not make freeShop continue to work, and before you ask, yes, software you already pirated is safe. (for now, anyway.)

At this time, it seems only various first-party Nintendo titles are affected, but it's probable that these changes will begin rolling out to all 3DS titles on the Nintendo CDN over time.

As of approximately 1 AM EST, August 22, 2018, the Nintendo CDN has applied this ticket validation method to over 2800 titles on their network.

:arrow: Source and Ongoing Discussion
:arrow: Related 3DBrew Page
Q: Will Staying on 11.7 help in any substantial way?
A: Not really. The bulk of the changes made are server side, meaning that they apply to all firmware, all platforms, everything trying to download 3DS content from the Nintendo CDN. I don't recommend updating on principle but that choice is yours to make.

Q: Do I have to delete the games I downloaded from freeShop to avoid being banned?
A: No. This ticket check is done only when downloading titles through the NIM Service on the 3DS. Not when launching games. Not when going online in games. Not when downloading or installing games through other means.

Q: What uses the NIM service to download from the Nintendo CDN?
A: The Official 3DS eShop, Official 3DS eShop Sleep Mode Downloads, and freeShop Sleep Mode Downloads. That last one is the only wild card here. We don't know what Nintendo might do if you upload an invalid game ticket to them through NIM. They could possibly use this ban you, but as of now, it doesn't seem like they are.

Q: Will there be a workaround for this in the future?
A: Almost certainly not. Don't count on it.

Q: Can you still download non-first-party 3DS games?
A: No, as of August 22, 2018, nearly all titles are requiring valid tickets to download. A complete list of titles that are blocked is available courtesy of @DMSalesman, here.

Q: Does any of this apply to Wii U content on the Nintendo CDN?
A: No. Nintendo hasn't updated the Wii U with any of this security, which they would have to do to implement this.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

Excalibur007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many 3ds game did you buy ?
80/90% is just insane

I don't have an accurate number. Most of my collection is in storage and I did not inventory it before packing it up. I didn't want to repeat that mistake though, so I've inventoried my Switch games (currently 113) and Xbox 360 games (currently 383).

I used to keep all my 3DS cartridges in those 24-game cases and put the cases on my display shelf. I eventually quit buying the cart holders and started leaving the games in their original cases. But I moved about a year and 1/2 ago and put it all in storage except for those cart holder cases.

My buying sprees for pre-owned were usually during Gamestop's "buy 2 get 1 free" sales (with the additional 10% membership discount), but I have bought a lot of singles with just the membership discount. Since last year, I've bought all new games from Best Buy with the 20% Gamers Club discount. That's where almost all my Switch games were purchased, with the exception of Gamestop exclusives like Gear Club (and a handful of ones not found at Best Buy), and the online purchases from Limited Run Games and Super Rare Games.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Installing via getting a CIA still works sooooo
Nintendo get your shit together if you want to remove all 3ds piracy
Edit: for me most of the games I bought I found DS ROMs for to use with twloader, so I guess I'm good.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Mike_77712

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Do you remember when discussion of piracy was forbidden and would get you a warning and then banned from the forums? When did that change? I missed that announcement.

I'm with you on the piracy topic (of currently supported systems anyway). I love homebrew and emulators, but absolutely hate piracy. I'd like to know a realistic figure of how much of the 3DS market has been affected by piracy... like, have some developers cancelled games because of it, etc.? (I know we can't really come up with an accurate picture of this, with all the factors at play and dishonest use of numbers by all sides). The excuse of "I can't afford to pay for the games" doesn't entitle people to steal them. However, we're not going to change the culture around here. It seems completely taken over with piracy. It really kinda surprised me, especially with the Switch. I didn't expect to see this site so openly support piracy of Nintendo's flagship system. It has been frustrating and I've never been very vocal anyway. I mostly just read articles and threads on the site (obviously, by my post count), but sometimes I really want to speak up and say something. Again, we aren't going to change the mind of anyone who just doesn't care and thinks they're entitled to everything.

I got into the 3DS pretty late (mid 2015), and started collecting every game I was interested in. Eventually, I started collecting every game I thought I might someday find interesting. lol. Today I have probably 80 to 90% of the 3DS library (complete physical releases) and even more DS games.

I've been making an effort to support continuing development for the 3DS by buying EVERY game that's been physically released for the past year, which has been pretty easy since they've been so few. I am conflicted though... I am encouraged when I see Nintendo make attempts to protect their system because it says they still desire to support it at least a little longer, but it still makes me nervous because I do want to see it fully open when support for it is completely dropped. I think every system should be fully exploitable around the time they're no longer commercially on the market for the purpose of preserving its library. I hate eshop only releases and would really hate to see games purchased digitally be lost when Nintendo no longer supports them on their servers. When I buy a game, I want to be able to play it 10, 15, or 20 years from now. For this reason, I'm glad to see ways to backup those games. Personally, I've used freeshop to install the games I've purchased physically over the past year or so, because it saves me from having to go grab the cartridge when game updates get released. Pretty lazy of me. All in all, when freeshop is no more, no big deal -- I'll just have to get the games out of their cases for those updates.

It's been much harder to keep up with the Switch releases, but I've still managed to buy 113 physical releases so far.

All that said, I place a clear distinction between currently supported systems and those no longer commercially supported. Once games are only available second hand or through ebay, I couldn't care less how people acquire the game or ROM. Download away. If the money is only going to a second hand seller and not to anyone involved in producing the game, I see no "moral" problem with it (legal problem, of course, but not moral problem).

I know pretty much NO ONE is still reading this, so I'll stop here. lol
It changed because piracy brings traffic to the $ite.

Pip'

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is a question a food for thought as it were. if the 3ds (yes this includes all the other types as well) if its at end of life then why the heck should it matter to nintendo that we use the key to unlock the door to download a game?

I guess you're just ranting but this is actually a good question. I had a thought on it that I haven't seen discussed much anyway.

Its possible that the select 3DS titles are just a "beta" right now of the new aauth system, primarily made for Switch. Keep in mind they have been pretty slow and incompetent at online stuff compared to their competitors. They may not feel confident rolling out this new system to a super massive audience, and don't want to be held accountable by 3rd parties if their customer's digital purchases go up in smoke. So they pick a subset of popular first-party titles only, on their old outgoing system, as a testbed. Testing not only that pirates are locked out, but more importantly that existing and new legitimate purchases and downloads all work properly. Once their testing period is ended and they feel all the kinks are worked out, they will probably throw the switch for ALL 3DS purchases. If that goes well, then the final step is releasing a Switch update that implements the same system over there, which was their main goal all along.

If true, this means we may see just the same list of select 3DS titles restricted for a good while as they collect data, resolve any customer complaints, and tweak their backend. Which would mean that Freeshop's full demise isn't so immanent, but still inevitable.

Latyana

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess you're just ranting but this is actually a good question. I had a thought on it that I haven't seen discussed much anyway.

Its possible that the select 3DS titles are just a "beta" right now of the new aauth system, primarily made for Switch. Keep in mind they have been pretty slow and incompetent at online stuff compared to their competitors. They may not feel confident rolling out this new system to a super massive audience, and don't want to be held accountable by 3rd parties if their customer's digital purchases go up in smoke. So they pick a subset of popular first-party titles only, on their old outgoing system, as a testbed. Testing not only that pirates are locked out, but more importantly that existing and new legitimate purchases and downloads all work properly. Once their testing period is ended and they feel all the kinks are worked out, they will probably throw the switch for ALL 3DS purchases. If that goes well, then the final step is releasing a Switch update that implements the same system over there, which was their main goal all along.

If true, this means we may see just the same list of select 3DS titles restricted for a good while as they collect data, resolve any customer complaints, and tweak their backend. Which would mean that Freeshop's full demise isn't so immanent, but still inevitable.
yes ranting but also it was stuff that has been in my head for awhiles. makes me wonder if nintendo even think sometimes. ya i think you are right about that a testbed. ya. if thats true its a downright horror show

D

Deleted User

so basically what I can gather from this is that the only reason Nintendo did this was to test befobe implementing this on switch

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just download cias, i still had to anyway cuz games like Boku No Hero and EX Troopers werent up there. Glad i completed my epic collection of games lol

Tendo is just extra mad about the switch so they want to fuck up the 3ds scene lmao

Last edited by MarzDaindigo,
D

Deleted User

Just download cias, i still had to anyway cuz games like Boku No Hero and EX Troopers werent up there. Glad i completed my epic collection of games lol

Tendo is just extra mad about the switch so they want to fuck up the 3ds scene lmao
Agreed. Those asshats at nintendo can't stop us though

Reactions: Latyana

Uziumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only issue I see is, how would I look up or find obscure titles without this now?
I mainly used it to find games I either never knew or heard of.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only issue I see is, how would I look up or find obscure titles without this now?
I mainly used it to find games I either never knew or heard of.

Gamefaqs+Google.

Every few days, pick a letter from the alphabet, go to Gamefaqs, scroll until you say, "WTF is this?", Google it, go to 3dsoso/another domain(?), cry or DL. repeat.

Or, make a youtube account chronicling all obscure titles you have and ask others to send ideas your way.

Finally, make a thread on the 'temp asking people about obscure titles they played.

Bases covered.

D

Deleted User

Just an FYI:
If you deleted a title you installed from the freeshop, you can still install it from the og eShop, you know. That way, even if you don't want the game you can still dump it for others
I already tried it out and redownloaded Pokemon gold

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Funny. Those "asshats" are the ones who give you the hardware and games to play in the first place. Getting angry with them for wanting you to pay them for their work seems a bit ridiculous.
I get what you mean

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just an FYI:
If you deleted a title you installed from the freeshop, you can still install it from the og eShop, you know. That way, even if you don't want the game you can still dump it for others
I already tried it out and redownloaded Pokemon gold
That's because a ticket gets generated when you install, it also happens with CIA installs. The generated ticket, however, is invalid so you won't be able to redownload the games anymore from the eShop once they get restricted.

In other words, if you want to dump the game from the CDN/eShop for others you better act quick.

Last edited by RattletraPM,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need the $900 copper coated ones, they are good for 10 times cooking before they are un cleanable
    Condoms are only meant to be used once Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well damn that explains how you were born
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol