Nintendo DSi Shop & Wii Shop Channel quietly pulled offline, with no ability to redownload titles

20220316_224035.jpg

If Nintendo announcing the discontinuation of the eShop for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U wasn't bad enough, strap yourselves in. Around 10:00pm CST, with no prior announcement, both the DSi Shop and Wii Shop Channels were quietly pulled offline, leaving previously downloaded purchases and titles unable to be redownloaded, showing error codes 290502 and 209601 for both systems respectively. Nintendo's CDN, which is the download server that houses all of the update and shop data, remains to be active with the ability to download titles with tools such as NUSDownloader, showing that only the frontend of the stores have suddenly disappeared. Nintendo's status page still lists that everything is operational, though it's currently unknown if this was a mistake like last year's eShop incident, or if this really is the end of an era.

:arrow: Source

[6-7-2022 Update]
Both shops are back online. See this post for more information.

Last edited by MaxiBash,

MisterSheeple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
show how scum Nintendo is first one to get into politics to virtual signal about current events but wont say shit about them closing stuff down that affects people purchases
The first Advance Wars came out the day before 9/11. They're not about to make the same mistake twice in a game about war in which one of the countries heavily resembles Russia. Screw off with your "virtual [sic] signaling" bullshit.

Anyway, bit of an update on this, it's still down, but this time it's giving a different error. Before, the 503 would also show a "Connection refused" error, but now it just says "Connection Failed". Still down though. Bummer.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has it been confirmed though considering someone from Nintendo said there were developments?
Maybe damage control? This really pisses me off though as I'm all digital on the switch. I have 185 games too. If Nintendo pulls the plug on that one day, and I can't download my games, that's it. I will no longer support Nintendo. I'll just go with Playstation.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe damage control? This really pisses me off though as I'm all digital on the switch. I have 185 games too. If Nintendo pulls the plug on that one day, and I can't download my games, that's it. I will no longer support Nintendo. I'll just go with Playstation.
Yeah, seems Nintendo is just causing more and more people to lose interest, even long-time Nintendo fans... If Nintendo wants to stay relevant, they'd better find some way to keep the consumers happy and excited - and not do crap like this!

Reactions: godreborn

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They'll just release a new console and then make everyone rebuy there games in a new way making the online service again something they don't need. It stands to reason if I pay for a game I should be allowed to download it indefinitely. DRM really kills the safety of digital gaming. 😢

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They'll just release a new console and then make everyone rebuy there games in a new way making the online service again something they don't need. It stands to reason if I pay for a game I should be allowed to download it indefinitely. DRM really kills the safety of digital gaming. 😢
yeah, that does piss me off. I bought donkey kong country tropical freeze on the wiiu for $60, then I had to buy it on the switch for another $60. it's one of my favorite games, but I hate what they did to the sound effects in the switch version. I also prefer the waggle to roll. that's how I've always done it.

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah, that does piss me off. I bought donkey kong country tropical freeze on the wiiu for $60, then I had to buy it on the switch for another $60. it's one of my favorite games, but I hate what they did to the sound effects in the switch version. I also prefer the waggle to roll. that's how I've always done it.
They obviously weren't thinking at the time of those "quality of life" improvements everybody uses now. I still have no idea what "quality of life" means when it comes to gaming. Always sounded pretentious to me.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It stands to reason if I pay for a game I should be allowed to download it indefinitely.
I mean, this is an assumption many of us have made, but there isn't anything saying this legally has to hold true at all. This unfortunately is one of those things that physical-only people have been wary about for years. Honestly, with the Wii and DSi, I think it's a pretty moot point, those systems can super easily be hacked and their libraries have been backed up online. Obviously these aren't legal, but the ability to preserve your digital collection for these systems isn't really being lost with these closures. However, Nintendo should realize that all they're doing with such a move is only further encouraging people to hack out their systems.

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, this is an assumption many of us have made, but there isn't anything saying this legally has to hold true at all. This unfortunately is one of those things that physical-only people have been wary about for years. Honestly, with the Wii and DSi, I think it's a pretty moot point, those systems can super easily be hacked and their libraries have been backed up online. Obviously these aren't legal, but the ability to preserve your digital collection for these systems isn't really being lost with these closures. However, Nintendo should realize that all they're doing with such a move is only further encouraging people to hack out their systems.
That unfortunately gives Nintendo the message it's in customer's rights to hack their console since they can no longer download the games.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That unfortunately gives Nintendo the message it's in customer's rights to hack their console since they can no longer download the games.
Indeed, it's something Nintendo is doing to themselves, whether they choose to acknowledge it or not, there is no way that they aren't aware that this move only encourages the public to mod their systems.

Reactions: slider86

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And inevitably this has descended into yet another "Nintendo is evil and FORCED me to hack my system and start stealing ROMs!" discussion.
At least no one is suggesting that they will "switch" to the equally scummy Sony.

If Nintendo pulls the plug on that one day, and I can't download my games, that's it. I will no longer support Nintendo. I'll just go with Playstation.
Ooops! Spoke too soon!

and then
"I bought donkey kong country tropical freeze on the wiiu for $60, then I had to buy it on the switch for another $60. "

You "had" to buy it on the Switch? Did Nintendo force you?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ChibiMofo , fuck off. I've observed you for a long time, and you're always starting fights with other users. you're now on my ignore list, so I will never respond to you again. if you don't like it here, then gtfo.

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And inevitably this has descended into yet another "Nintendo is evil and FORCED me to hack my system and start stealing ROMs!" discussion.
At least no one is suggesting that they will "switch" to the equally scummy Sony.

Ooops! Spoke too soon!

and then

You "had" to buy it on the Switch? Did Nintendo force you?
No offence but when a person expects to buy something they expect to have it to use when they want?

MisterSheeple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol yeah sure, like Sony won't do the same thing some day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol