Homebrew The All New 3DSThemes.com Huge Site Update! ツ

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pretty understandable i think, the devs probably trusted everyone to not abuse their site and gave functionality a bigger priority then security.
Some people said some rude stuff and i just wanted to say to them that they are idiots.
People that put so much effort in this community do not deserve to be treated like that.
And those who say that they are idiots, please share use one of your highly visited unhackable sites, and lets see how secure it really is ;)

Reactions: WhoAmI?

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pretty understandable i think, the devs probably trusted everyone to not abuse their site and gave functionality a bigger priority then security.

Lesson 1 of network security: User input is untrusted and bad.

Avoiding SQL injections with prepared statements and the like, the way PDO would've offered, is trivial. Then again, you can't expect too much from people who still use MySQL as their database of choice and hook the website up with the MySQL root user.

D

Deleted User

We know there is currently a security breach with our site, and we would like to let you know, that we are working tirelessly to fix this. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience, and our site should be online again once we have solved it.

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
We know there is currently a security breach with our site, and we would like to let you know, that we are working tirelessly to fix this. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience, and our site should be online again once we have solved it.
In all seriousness now, might I suggest hiring an intern or someone to help educate the programmers on web application security? SQLi is really just the 101, there's more to consider (OWASP might be a good starting point), you'll definitely want to check this out now that you've established that, indeed, parts of your userbase are malicious and will abuse any and all flaws in your software.

EDIT: Hell, there's a guy volunteering right below this post. No need to expensively hire anyone if Tjessx knows his stuff.

Last edited by Suiginou,

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lesson 1 of network security: User input is untrusted and bad.

Avoiding SQL injections with prepared statements and the like, the way PDO would've offered, is trivial. Then again, you can't expect too much from people who still use MySQL as their database of choice and hook the website up with the MySQL root user.
There is nothing wrong with MySQL, and i chose it above every other database type (however PostgreSQL is nice too :D)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you need any help finding other unprotected parts, i've got some time :D

D

Deleted User

In all seriousness now, might I suggest hiring an intern or someone to help educate the programmers on web application security? SQLi is really just the 101, there's more to consider (OWASP might be a good starting point), you'll definitely want to check this out now that you've established that, indeed, parts of your userbase are malicious and will abuse any and all flaws in your software.
Staff changes will be made, yes.

---------

I ask you all to be understanding while we deal with this, and make sure that no to minimal data was leaked. I would like to assure everyone that your passwords were hashed/encrypted, and that they were not stored in an insecure way.

More updates to come

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

You can apply for Let's Encrypt right now :D
We were using StartSSL, with plans to upgrade to a paid certificate in the coming month after google paid out. Unfortunately, sometimes things like this get in the way, so until we fix the security hole and find the perpetrator, we will not be doing further upgrades (Obviously).

Reactions: Deleted User

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Give me 5 minutes with it ;)
I doubt you can "find the perpetrator" in 5 minutes. I'm assuming @GotKrypto67 is considering legal action; locating someone isn't that easy. You'd probably need to notify the police, who may start a criminal procedure, from which you may then learn the identity of the perpetrator and only then you can sue for damages.

yodamerlin

Bok bok.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt you can "find the perpetrator" in 5 minutes. I'm assuming @GotKrypto67 is considering legal action; locating someone isn't that easy. You'd probably need to notify the police, who may start a criminal procedure, from which you may then learn the identity of the perpetrator and only then you can sue for damages.
But finding the information to find the attacker is pretty easy. And from there, you email the ISP quoting the criminal damage and then go from there. If done by proxy, hope they keep logs. If done by TOR, you're out of luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Woke