Homebrew RELEASE Play Original GameBoy Games on the GBA emulators

Deleted member 442567

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This method is useful only if you want near perfect audio and a selective color palette for GBC/GB games.
This is probably my first actual post that's decent. A̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶G̶B̶C̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶"̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶G̶a̶m̶e̶P̶a̶k̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶G̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶B̶o̶y̶ ̶C̶o̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶.̶"̶
Tutorial updated to work with GameBoy Color games! (thanks to KuraudoSutoraifu for sending EZGoomba)
You can play original GameBoy games on khedgb (gameboy color emulator), but you will have audio glitches and a grey color palette. This method has perfect audio and multiple color palette options.
Also, feel free to use EZGoomba (scroll down to the GameBoy Color section) for GameBoy games as well, since it is simpler.

GameBoy Games:
1. I recommend using this build of VBA-Next because it is a special version with audio fixes. If you don't use this, you will most likely have audio issues. Also, if you use GDKgba, the game does slow down a bit at some parts.
2. Get Goomba. This tool converts GB/GBC games to GBA. (Don't follow this part for GBC games. Follow the GameBoy Color Games part below.)
3. Extract Goomba to it's own folder, and I also recommend putting your roms in this folder for ease of use.
4. Open goombafront.exe.
5. Click the 3 dots next to "Select Emulator File", and select the goomba.gba in your Goomba folder.
g1.PNG

g2.PNG

---

6. In the file browser in the bottom left portion of Goomba, navigate to the folder containing all of your roms.
7. You should see all of your roms in the list on the right now. (Notice the .gb extensions. This means they aren't converted. duh.)

g3.PNG

8. Hit the 3 dots next to "Select Output File:", and type whatever you want your converted GB/GBC game to be called. (e.g: Pokemon - Red Version.gba)
9. Click on the rom you want to convert in the list on the left, and hit the "Add ->" button in the middle. Don't do more than one rom at a time.
10. Click "Compile" at the bottom. Done! Your new "gba" game is now where you saved it in "Select Output File".
Change the output file and "<- Remove" your rom from the list on the right before compiling another rom.\

If you want to get rid of the nasty yellow color palette, click both L+R (left and right bumpers) while you're in game, select "Display ->" and change the palette. For Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, I recommend BionicCom. You can also change the border here.

GameBoy Color Games:

1. Download EZGoomba. This is a "modified" version of Goomba that lets you properly emulate GBC games without an error message.
2. Extract EZGoomba Frontendv1.0.2a to it's own folder and open it. (You don't really need your roms in this folder for ease of use anymore)
3. Open it. If you want, you can use this version for GB games as well. But, just open the GBC tab.
g4.PNG

4. Click Load ROM at the top of EZGoomba and open the .GBC rom you want to "convert"
5. Now, simply hit Compile. It will ask you for an "output file" like it did in regular Goomba.
6. Name it accordingly. (If your GBC game was Pokemom Gold.gbc, name it Pokemon Gold.gba.
7. Done!

If you want to get rid of the nasty yellow color palette, click both L+R (left and right bumpers) while you're in game, select "Display ->" and change the palette. For Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, I recommend BionicCom. You can also change the border here.

I cant play Super Mario Land 2 Deluxe on VBA Next it shows a message called This Hack can only be played on Gameboy Color.

Small Kat

PC addict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Crystal has sprite issues and all the text boxes are parts of ditto. I converted it from .gbc to .gba. I tried the other options from the L R menu and nothing changes.

Nastas95

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pokemon Crystal has sprite issues and all the text boxes are parts of ditto. I converted it from .gbc to .gba. I tried the other options from the L R menu and nothing changes.

Pokemon crystal CAN'T be converted, it's a known fact from the good old days when we had something like an EZ-Flash for the gameboy advance. Anyway, just use retroNX's gambette core to play gbc, it's just what you need to play gbc

Small Kat

PC addict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon crystal CAN'T be converted, it's a known fact from the good old days when we had something like an EZ-Flash for the gameboy advance. Anyway, just use retroNX's gambette core to play gbc, it's just what you need to play gbc
Cant really use retronx, since i have a exfat card.

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Silly question but does this mean I can run, say, Pokemon Crystal, convert it to GBA and play it correctly in an EZ Flash Omega?

JeffRuLz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silly question but does this mean I can run, say, Pokemon Crystal, convert it to GBA and play it correctly in an EZ Flash Omega?
As mentioned earlier in the thread Crystal is a specific game that does not work (iirc it's because it's too big).
Also the EZ Flash Omega has this emulator built-in so there's no need to convert. Just place the roms on your SD card and launch them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, was it from @AncientBoi ?