Hacking Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment [PSP]

Rasen1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem here is that as I believe StorMyu said previously (could be another member of the team, correct me if im wrong) in order to make english display properly, unlike the exorcizamus patch which used shortform to match the game's own word splitting, theyve heavily modified how the game displays text. For that reason, if they released a partial patch the english would display correctly but any Japanese text would be horrifically broken and just completely unusable.

Its a case of menu patch or wait for a possible full release really (whether from this team or another), that or fork out for a vita which I'm keeping an eye on sales/preowned for, not gonna pay full vita price for 1 game especially with sony charging snake oil prices for memory cards again.

Edit: Right at the top of this page actually

I see what you're saying, but what I mean is that if all menus, items, and script stuff up to floor 80 are translated (and I bet that's still a LOT), then wouldn't that essentially be an all-English experience, up to floor 80? (Once you get past that, then things go to pot, but that's where the domestic version of HF can step in). That's why I say "partial" patch. It puts something out there sooner and for the people who absolutely can't wait for the rest, they can be pointed to the HF game.

dylan05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As far as I've played 'till now it is the same game, except those "character gaining Story sequences" you mentioned and the obvious Hollow Fragment arc.

jag272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I see what you're saying, but what I mean is that if all menus, items, and script stuff up to floor 80 are translated (and I bet that's still a LOT), then wouldn't that essentially be an all-English experience, up to floor 80? (Once you get past that, then things go to pot, but that's where the domestic version of HF can step in). That's why I say "partial" patch. It puts something out there sooner and for the people who absolutely can't wait for the rest, they can be pointed to the HF game.
Its possible, the trouble is most people dont bother to read readme files, dev notes or the like. It would probably just result in a bunch of complaints to the team that the patch is broken past 80 cos they didnt bother reading. At that point its up to the team whether they want to put up with that issue really, I also dont think they particularly want to just release a half-arsed job for the heck of it. Theres nothing wrong with your suggestion certainly, from the player's standpoint its the most appealing for us but its also up to the team whether it sits right with them (cant think of a better word currently) morally.

jag272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You guys still alive ?
Most likely too busy with their other projects, we might hear something once those are done and the team is less busy. For now though I'd assume its not happening and be thankful if it is, the whole legal grey area thing with hollow fragment having infinity moment translated makes it quite risky.

Tylerrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely too busy with their other projects, we might hear something once those are done and the team is less busy. For now though I'd assume its not happening and be thankful if it is, the whole legal grey area thing with hollow fragment having infinity moment translated makes it quite risky.

that doesn't make it any more or less legal.

jag272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
that doesn't make it any more or less legal.
Indeed it doesnt, the issue is that releasing a translation of infinity moment when one is provided in Hollow Fragment can potentially damage sales. That increases the risk of legal response significantly.

Afterall, many of us still waiting for this patch are likely not willing to spend money on a vita and a copy of hollow fragment alongside it and would prefer a translated copy of a game we already have. If even some of us cave in and buy a vita and Hollow Fragment alongside it they gain more in sales, if an infinity moment translation for the same content is released however more people wont buy Hollow Fragment, unless they want to continue the story ofcourse, which translates to lost sales.

Tylerrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed it doesnt, the issue is that releasing a translation of infinity moment when one is provided in Hollow Fragment can potentially damage sales. That increases the risk of legal response significantly.

Afterall, many of us still waiting for this patch are likely not willing to spend money on a vita and a copy of hollow fragment alongside it and would prefer a translated copy of a game we already have. If even some of us cave in and buy a vita and Hollow Fragment alongside it they gain more in sales, if an infinity moment translation for the same content is released however more people wont buy Hollow Fragment, unless they want to continue the story ofcourse, which translates to lost sales.

it doesn't translate to lost sales because there's no way to predict whether someone would actually buy it.

and i seriously doubt the reason anyone buys that game is for the translated version of this one.

They'd do it because its the newer game.

dylan05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it doesn't translate to lost sales because there's no way to predict whether someone would actually buy it.

In economy it does translate to lost sales, because it's all about prediction. It's the same with all the illegal movies/games/what-not out there.

and i seriously doubt the reason anyone buys that game is for the translated version of this one.

Well, I did.

Reactions: Skelletonike

jag272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In economy it does translate to lost sales, because it's all about prediction. It's the same with all the illegal movies/games/what-not out there.

This is the key point behind it all. To us it may not translate to lost sales, many of us may not be willing to pay for a vita regardless and I agree theres no way to fully predict how many if any lost sales there are. As far as the publishers are concerned though it is enough of a risk. While its not as much of a risk as leaving a fan translation out in the wild if the publisher eventually released an official translation, its still treading on the feet of an official translation that is included in another product. As far as theyre concerned, thats less reason to buy the newer product with the official translation, because half of the product can already be gotten free (well more like 1/4 since infinity moment is playable when bought, regardless of if its translated or not) from fan translations like this.

Ultimately though this topic has been discussed to death all over the place, probably best not to start another debate here and fill up the thread with it. We'll just have to see what the team decides but last we heard they're prioritizing their other projects. We can either look out for a vita going cheap or just wait and see what happens. Technically theres little to no risk of legal action once Hollow Fragment is off the shelves, the trouble is that might never be the case if its also on PSN and other online suppliers.

Tylerrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Uh no, a sale is just that, a sale.

It's either there or its not. You can't lose something you were never going to get to begin with.

Majima

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Few companies support piracy and that's what matters. Bamco probably doesn't and until they explicitly say they approve of the fan translation, I think we can assume they are against it. It's not what you, I or even science thinks piracy means to sales that matters. It's what the owners and publishers of the game thinks.

Sword Art Online on the Vita is supposedly selling incredibly well too and was the top selling title on PSN in February for the console so it is entirely possible than Bamco would actively try to prevent something which they feel could hurt its sales.

It's also possible that the team feels that making the patch is pointless now that there is an official translation. Either way, you have to respect the decision of the people who would have to spend many more hours and days to finish the PSP translation.

dylan05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Uh no, a sale is just that, a sale.

It's either there or its not. You can't lose something you were never going to get to begin with.

It seems that you don't know anything about economy.
Otherwise you wouldn't say something like that.

If there were no illegal copys, you'd have to buy it.
Every illegal copy someone has equals to one copy that wasn't sold.
If it wasn't sold, the Publisher loses this possible sale.

But this thread has already enough such posts.

Tylerrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that you don't know anything about economy.
Otherwise you wouldn't say something like that.

If there were no illegal copys, you'd have to buy it.
Every illegal copy someone has equals to one copy that wasn't sold.
If it wasn't sold, the Publisher loses this possible sale.

But this thread has already enough such posts.

You and they might think that is how it works, but reality begs to differ.

Again they can't lose something they were never going to get to begin with.

dylan05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Sorry to break it to you, but It's not what I think, it's how it works out there.

And again, if there where no illegal copys, they would get it.
You just don't get it at all.

Tylerrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to break it to you, but It's not what I think, it's how it works out there.

And again, if there where no illegal copys, they would get it.
You just don't get it at all.

No that's just how you think it works. Because that's how you've been told it works when it doesn't.

And no even if it was impossible to pirate games it doesn't mean someone has to buy it to play the game.

They could borrow it from a friend

Or they could rent it.

and neither equal a lost sale.

dylan05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No that's just how you think it works. Because that's how you've been told it works when it doesn't.

And no even if it was impossible to pirate games it doesn't mean someone has to buy it to play the game.

They could borrow it from a friend

Or they could rent it.

and neither equal a lost sale.

It's pointless to debate with someone who has clearly no knowledge about how it really works.
So instead of wasting more time with you and your own little world, I'll go and play HF ;)

Cinnamon

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Who cares what you or I think about this matter. If they(publishers) think it may make them lose sales, yeah, that's on them. We have no say in this matter anyway.
Either you buy the game, or you can play the untranslated version. It's as simple as that.

Tylerrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pointless to debate with someone who has clearly no knowledge about how it really works.
So instead of wasting more time with you and your own little world, I'll go and play HF ;)

sounds like the usual crap from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Who cares what you or I think about this matter. If they(publishers) think it may make them lose sales, yeah, that's on them. We have no say in this matter anyway.
Either you buy the game, or you can play the untranslated version. It's as simple as that.

That's not what's being discussed.

He thinks that a pirated game equals a lost sale.

But it's not. This is just common sense that he wants to ignore.

dylan05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sounds like the usual crap from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

That's not what's being discussed.

He thinks that a pirated game equals a lost sale.

But it's not. This is just common sense that he wants to ignore.

If you say so, doc.:rolleyes:
Then live long and prosper with your "common sense":grog:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1