Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct Nov 1 - Roundup

Nintendo is getting right to the meat of things with its upcoming Super Smash Bros, as they've scheduled a 40-minute Direct focused on new information about the game. The remaining roster additions will be revealed here, as well as other game mode details. So let's see what we're in for.

Immediately, Street Fighter's Ken is shown as an Echo Fighter, and Pokemon's Incineroar are joining the fight. Incineroar's attacks focus on a lot of wrestling type moves. This brings the roster up to 74, with no further characters for the base game.

Before unlocking any characters in the game, players will start with seven to choose from, and will end up with 74 once they're finished recruiting every addition.

Just like with the previous Smash Bros. game, amiibo figures are being made for every fighter, with Young Link, Ken, Daisy, Ice Climbers, and more showing off what they'll look like.

The Spirits Mode was also shown, which entails certain differently powdered characters from Nintendo history giving fighters extra abilities, sort of like Super Smash Bros. Brawl's stickers, taken to a new level. An example of fighting against these is Fire Emblem's Owain being shown as a Spirit, which gives increased power to melee weapons, but also makes the enemy taunt a lot, like the character's personality. Or, with Mega Man's Guts Man, who will power up the enemy to not flinch easily, and use more grabs and throws than usual.

Additionally, these "spirits" will also be used to power up your added amiibo fighters.

This mode takes the place of previous Smash games offering tons of trophies from the represented Nintendo franchises.

The online mode will try to prioritize finding opponents that are nearby, and Nintendo recommends buying an Ethernet adapter for the Switch to get more stable connections.

You'll be able to specify certain rulesets for rooms online for matches. The Nintendo Online phone app will allow for voice chat, and a new app called Smash World will launch sometime after the game, which will focus on players sharing fun gameplay moments.

Spring Man from Arms, Tiki from Fire Emblem, Vince from Art Academy, Shadow the Hedgehog from Sonic, Akira from Virtual Fighter, and Street Fighter's Guile are all shown as assist trophies. This time, you can knock assist trophies off the map, giving you a chance to avoid getting hit by their attacks.

The Mii Fighter gets some brand new outfits to use, too, with a Splatoon set, an Arms set, a Chibi Robo costume, a Toy-Con set, and a Ray MkIII one all shown.

DLC has been confirmed for the game that will be out post launch. None of these will be Echo Fighters. Each piece of DLC will come with a song, character, and stage for $5.99. A season pass will be available called a Fighters Pass, which will offer all five of the scheduled DLC characters once they become available. All the characters won't be known yet, but the pass is $24.99.

The first of the DLC roster additions is the Piranha Plant, who will be free shortly after launch. The other five will follow by next year.

Ryan Warren

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So based on what we've seen what are the *realistic* possibilities for the dlc characters? Since it looks like Isaac is a assist trophy, can we still have Matthew represent golden sun?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So based on what we've seen what are the *realistic* possibilities for the dlc characters? Since it looks like Isaac is a assist trophy, can we still have Matthew represent golden sun?
Anything's a possibility, five yet unrevealed. Banjo with Kazooie still seems like a natural fit, but I'm not sure they can get the rights. I'm also still hoping for a Golden Sun character, but if not then maybe Crono from Chrono Trigger? I'd also like to see Amaterasu but that seems like a long shot.

Last edited by Xzi,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who shunned all of the "leaks", I thought it was a great direct. Really like the addition of the spirit fighters. Seems to be allowing them to add even more characters into the game that would otherwise be too minor to get in. I really wanted to see Melia in Smash U when they did the fan suggestions, and I was quite pleasantly surprised to see her there as a spirit fighter. Looks like the franchise is steering more and more into a love letter to video games in general with all the different series/developers being represented.

Also Guile's theme.

Reactions: lexarvn and Xzi

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Chary said:
The online mode will try to prioritize finding opponents that are nearby, and Nintendo recommends buying an Ethernet adapter for the Switch to get more stable connections.
Now if only they would remove that bullshit soft cap of 50 Megabits/sec for Ethernet and Wireless, we'd all have more stable connections and less communication errors.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geno did appear in the Direct though, as a player avatar (which it's to assume he's a Spirit)

Yeah but we're assuming that spirits can't be characters. I think they can if they replace trophies.
If even Geno isn't in then I don't really see the point of asking the fans what they wanted in a ballot then lol.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything from Golden sun would be utterly bizarre at this point with Lucas tied up.

I'd rather like them to churn out more Ken and Cloud level stuff, legendary 3rd parties characters from huge franchises. Crash, Lara Croft, that sort of thing, rather than Nintendo fanboy obscurities like Geno. Hopefully they can buy the licenses to something with that big DLC asking price.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just watched the direct and am happy to say as a banned user, I’m happy they recommended using a lan adapter. Free online play unless they figure out away to stop that from happening.

NitroTears

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I was sorta leaning towards disappointment towards the latter half of the direct, I was happy with the spirits mechanics and new characters (I am still surprised anyone took the grinch leak so seriously). But I am so happy I was shut up in the last part, happy that we got one last 'one last announcement'. I could not have wished for anything better. Even if it doesn't win, I seriously suspect this having a shot a game of the year.

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was sorta leaning towards disappointment towards the latter half of the direct, I was happy with the spirits mechanics and new characters (I am still surprised anyone took the grinch leak so seriously). But I am so happy I was shut up in the last part, happy that we got one last 'one last announcement'. I could not have wished for anything better. Even if it doesn't win, I seriously suspect this having a shot a game of the year.
Smash can't win GOTY because it's releasing the day after the Game Awards.

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last Direct: No one calling it a port, most people happy because a lot of suggested characters were making it in.

This Direct: Due to some fake leak people got overhyped for no reason and believed. Due to it not being true people were massively upset and disappointed (due to their own fault and beliefs in shoddy news) and are now blaming Sakurai for it and calling the game a port again....

I would just love to see the outrage these same people would have at Street Fighter V when they literally cut iconic characters from the roster and sold them as DLC...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste