Hacking Super Smash Bros 3DS - 9.2.0-17U Update

m0dm0use

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After 7.x, Gateway patches updates when they're applied. So attempting to update sysnand from within gateway mode will most likely result in a brick.
Ah that sucks, thanks for the warning. So would a Sky3DS be a better option, or finding a EUR card with the 9.2 :) Hope 9.2 rom cards become widespread in the coming months.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS should be safe to use to install updates as that flashcart (if you can even call it a flashcart) doesn't patch encryption checks and only runs the roms in their original encrypted form. So there is basically no difference from the physical copy from the perspective of the 3DS. You can install system updates from that just fine.

However that can not be said for Gateway/MT-Card. Whether intentional or not Gateway/MT-Card mode appears to corrupt/modify NATIVE_FIRM when an update is done from a rom or from DevMan via CIAs. (I've heard updates done through Nintendo eShop/System Settings however are not messed up and will still work.

I have even tried installing updates from Palantine CFW at one point and using that to update emunand and transferring that to emunand. But that also failed. It appears to be an issue with how the current exploits work that prevents them.

It is still possible to update to 9.2 using a rom or CIAs, but you have to do it to emunand first and flash a working 9.2 firm0/firm1.bin file to the emunand partition using rxTools prior to flashing it to sysnand. Doing it any other way will result in a black screen of death. I have managed to get a working 9.2 sysnand via this method. I even excluded TWL_FIRM and DS Cart White list CIAs from the update so that Gateway blue cart still worked. Another user reported that his Acekard 2i would work in 9.2 in this way as that card will only work with a certain version of TWL_FIRM and the DS Cart white list hack floating around the internet doesn't make that one work again.

Reactions: Codename

Random Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason for someone on 9.0 new3ds to update to 9.2 ?

Main changes for version 9.2.0-20U
Update released: October 29th, 2014
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any reason for someone on 9.0 new3ds to update to 9.2 ?

Main changes for version 9.2.0-20U
Update released: October 29th, 2014
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
The only updated system applications/titles in 9.2.0-20 are the Home Menu and the version number (CVer). I think it literally is a stability update, and it doesn't seem to block any exploits, so installing it won't hurt. Though there certainly isn't any benefit to installing it, unless there's some home menu exploit, which there isn't.

dandymanz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Can we install firmware update with sky3ds?

thanks

I have updated my US N3DS sysnand from 9.0 to 9.2 using Sky3DS with this Super Smash Bros rom. Can confirm it works. Whole process takes like 1 to 2 mins including the reboot.

But other than that, i don't really see the need for this 9.2 update since you still need 9.5 to access the eShop now.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have updated my US N3DS sysnand from 9.0 to 9.2 using Sky3DS with this Super Smash Bros rom. Can confirm it works. Whole process takes like 1 to 2 mins including the reboot.

But other than that, i don't really see the need for this 9.2 update since you still need 9.5 to access the eShop now.

Themes! (For old 3ds before 9.0)

Reactions: dandymanz

cocoPika

Trophies
Website
sky3dsnewsinformation.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Actuc
I've been waiting until I have enough funds to get a Gateway 3DS, so I've been careful to keep my WiFi off so it won't auto update. I wasn't too worried about games forcing me to update because to my knowledge the newest update available on a game cart is Super Smash Bros 3DS with update 8.1.

I received Super Smash Bros 3DS today and when I started the game it asked me to update to 9.2.0-17U. I visited the Gateway 3DS website and confirmed it supported up to 9.2 so I went ahead with the update. It wasn't until halfway through the update it dawned on me that SSB should only have 8.1 on it. I did a quick Google search and can't find any other reports of people receiving 9.2.0-17U updates from SSB. As a matter of fact, I searched "3DS 9.2.0-17U" and can't find one occurrence where somebody states they have this firmware.

Is anyone else aware of SSB holding a 9.2 update now? I have a NES 3DS XL that came with 7.4, it's never been connected to the internet, and the copy of SSB was purchased at GameStop on February 11th.

EDIT: I uploaded the ROM and a user confirmed the 9.2 update is on this cart.

1423949901-smb3ds.jpg

EDIT: Image of game case.
FDzdzF9h.jpg
Actually, the price of gateway is merely the same as SKY3DS, why not choose SKY3DS, is there some better on Gateway?

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Sky3DS should be safe to use to install updates as that flashcart (if you can even call it a flashcart) doesn't patch encryption checks and only runs the roms in their original encrypted form. So there is basically no difference from the physical copy from the perspective of the 3DS. You can install system updates from that just fine.

However that can not be said for Gateway/MT-Card. Whether intentional or not Gateway/MT-Card mode appears to corrupt/modify NATIVE_FIRM when an update is done from a rom or from DevMan via CIAs. (I've heard updates done through Nintendo eShop/System Settings however are not messed up and will still work.

I have even tried installing updates from Palantine CFW at one point and using that to update emunand and transferring that to emunand. But that also failed. It appears to be an issue with how the current exploits work that prevents them.

It is still possible to update to 9.2 using a rom or CIAs, but you have to do it to emunand first and flash a working 9.2 firm0/firm1.bin file to the emunand partition using rxTools prior to flashing it to sysnand. Doing it any other way will result in a black screen of death. I have managed to get a working 9.2 sysnand via this method. I even excluded TWL_FIRM and DS Cart White list CIAs from the update so that Gateway blue cart still worked. Another user reported that his Acekard 2i would work in 9.2 in this way as that card will only work with a certain version of TWL_FIRM and the DS Cart white list hack floating around the internet doesn't make that one work again.
so , i can use sky3DS with 4.3 U ?
i heard i can't use this ROM , i can only use the 8.1 ROM

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
Look at it like this, buy a Sky and don't updated above 9.2 when gateway release N3DS support sell the sky as there will still be a demand for people who updated

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so , i can use sky3DS with 4.3 U ?
i heard i can't use this ROM , i can only use the 8.1 ROM

You should be able to use it just fine, but only on USA consoles. Nobody's found a European or Japanese version of the game with a 9.x update yet.

Sky3DS is just a cartridge emulator, so it works on all firmwares and can totally be used to update the firmware, without even needing risky hacking like Gateway.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Don't know if any of you are interested but codename steam is 9.4 (have it)
Was hoping for 9.2 but oh well.

Capture.PNG

[SDK+NINTENDO:CTR_SDK-11_0_2_200_none]
[SDK+NINTENDO:Firmware-02_48_02]
[SDK+NINTENDO:ExtraPad]
[SDK+NINTENDO:NFP]
[SDK+NINTENDO:IsRunOnSnake]
[SDK+NINTENDO:NW4C_3_5_3_eft]
[SDK+NINTENDO:NW4C_3_5_3_snd]
[SDK+Nintendo: PIA_4_2_0]
[SDK+Nintendo: PIA_COMMON_4_2_0]
[SDK+Nintendo: PIA_INET_4_2_0]
[SDK+Nintendo: PIA_LOCAL_4_2_0]
[SDK+Nintendo: PIA_SESSION_4_2_0]
[SDK+Nintendo: PIA_SYNC_4_2_0]
[SDK+Nintendo: PIA_TRANSPORT_4_2_0]
[SDK+Nintendo:NEX_RK_3_7_1]
[SDK+Nintendo:NEX_MM_3_7_1]
[SDK+Nintendo:NEX_3_7_1]
[SDK+NINTENDO:IsRunningAsExtApplication]
[SDK+NINTENDO:Ir]
[SDK+OSS:zlib]

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was also hoping that Codename Steam was 9.2.0.

PsyKo should update Crappy Tiny Reader to know that partition 6 now has a meaning: the New 3DS portion of system updates.

MaximusX800

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I wanted to get this cart for the 9.2 Update, and I guess I found Rev3, because mine wants me to update to 9.5....

Such a waste of money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/zzu0VHzy7tU?si=V2sI-JSptJg0SWmC