Hardware [Spicy] RUMOR - Wii U to see $300 price

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Errr... you didn't say what you have in speech marks there anywhere. And you did state it as fact:
They've since taken necessary precautions towards pricing things effectively.

And I went on to mention the PS3 Slim and Vita, which they did take measures to price effectively, unlike the old PS3 models.

Umm... what? The PS3 Slim was still a lot more expensive than the Wii when it launched.

And anyway, that's besides the point. You still made a claim based on facts, as I did and you criticised me for it, and in return I criticised you back using your own argument (thus the hypocrisy).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm... what? The PS3 Slim was still a lot more expensive than the Wii when it launched.

And anyway, that's besides the point. You still made a claim based on facts, as I did and you criticised me for it, and in return I criticised you back using your own argument (thus the hypocrisy).

My point was that Sony released a much lower priced console due to the backlash and failure of their much higher priced version, even if it meant taking a loss. That shows that Sony has learned how to keep an affordable price, even if it means taking a loss.

I made a claim based on recent history that is, in fact, more reliable than the older history you've been presenting. It's more likely that Sony will release something with a competitive price point this generation than it having another PS3 debacle again.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

My point was that Sony released a much lower priced console due to the backlash and failure of their much higher priced version, even if it meant taking a loss. That shows that Sony has learned how to keep an affordable price, even if it means taking a loss.

I made a claim based on recent history that is, in fact, more reliable than the older history you've been presenting. It's more likely that Sony will release something with a competitive price point this generation than it having another PS3 debacle again.
I'm pretty sure the 'Oh, maybe he's right, I'll just pretend I was talking about something else - he can't say I'm wrong as it's my thoughts' tactic isn't a very good debating skill.

My original point is how the PS4 / Xbox [random number here] will cost a lot more than the Wii U will when they are finally launched. What the hell has Sony releasing a cheaper model of the PS3 got to do with anything? (For it was still a lot more expensive than the Wii).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My original point is how the PS4 / Xbox [random number here] will cost a lot more than the Wii U will when they are finally launched. What the hell has Sony releasing a cheaper model of the PS3 got to do with anything? (For it was still a lot more expensive than the Wii).

Why do you keep comparing it to the Wii? The Wii has nothing to do with this.

The PS3's competitor is basically the Xbox 360. They have the same audience appeal and similar capabilities. Hell, they even get a lot of the same games. But when it was standing at $600 and the Xbox 360 was at what, $400, it wasn't working out. Sony realized they made a mistake with an overpriced console and released the Slim for half the price of what the PS3 launched at. It sold well and while Sony dug themselves a hole at first with selling on a loss, they eventually dug themselves out of it and now they're turning a profit on the thing. This shows that Sony knows how to price competitively now, even if it means taking a loss at first or getting little profit on the system.

If Sony feels the Wii U will be a competitor this generation, meaning it'll be similar in graphics and features, then they'll price competitively with that. They did with the Vita. The Vita was announced at the same price point as the 3DS, and people were rather shocked. Of course the 3DS got a price cut later but still, at $250, people were really surprised. But back on the Wii U, if they think it's real competition and the Wii U is priced rather low, Sony will price there's around the same mark. If they feel its aiming for a different audience but fear Microsoft is competition, they'll price it along the lines of the Nextbox.

I'm saying that recent evidence shows that Sony has learned to price competitively and this evidence would leave us to believe that Sony would make a competitively priced console if they felt that they had sufficient competition with the WIi U.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm. It all comes down to the games for me as it probably does for near everybody else- if indeed the wii u is specced to compete with the others and does not get the lead platform status or otherwise noticeably superior versions (my hope for it although that might take a while/some gambling on the part of the big publishers/developers as the wii u will probably not have the install base right away and I can not imagine even with the current moves the publishers can fail at accounting/sales/business that hard- such a thing would probably see me getting a wii u but we already did that conversation) then yeah buying into the wii u at a higher price point than the PS3 or 360 that otherwise run the same games would be a bad investment (give or take online costs and quality I guess if you care about that sort of thing). As for surpassed by the next offerings from the others I have so reply so?- those are still projected to be a couple of years out and a couple of years is more than enough time to try netting some profit in (see stuff like mobile phones).... wonder if we will end up seeing ultra short console lifetimes a la mobile phone "useful" lifetimes.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

Why do you keep comparing it to the Wii? The Wii has nothing to do with this.
October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Guild, I think you're in the wrong thread, on the wrong forum.
Please re-read the OP.
Please re-read my first post.
This is a topic about the Wii U's price! Of course the Wii U has to do with everything in the conversation.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please re-read the OP.
This is a topic about the Wii U's price! Of course the Wii U has to do with everything in the conversation.

Wii U is not a Wii unless Nintendo has really gotten lazy with console development.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Please re-read the OP.

Wii U is not a Wii unless Nintendo has really gotten lazy with console development.
And I'm pretty certain that a PS4 / Xbox is not a Wii U either.

Let's go back to my original point. By the time a PS3 / 360 successor comes out my guess is that it's going to be a lot more expensive than the Wii U's price at that point (for it will probably have already had a price drop).

I cannot see what your problem is.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I'm pretty certain that a PS4 / Xbox is not a Wii U either.

Let's go back to my original point. By the time a PS3 / 360 successor comes out my guess is that it's going to be a lot more expensive than the Wii U's price at that point (for it will probably have already had a price drop).

I cannot see what your problem is.

My point was that I said the thread isn't about the Wii and then you said "OMG THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE WII U CAN'T YOU SEE?" Completely different consoles.

Price drops only come if a system doesn't sell well or its far into the system's life. The 3DS only dropped price because it wasn't selling well. I mean how long did it take for a Wii price drop? I actually don't know but I didn't think it was months or even a year after the system launched.

D

Deleted_171835

Just realized that they couldn't have a BoM considering the system isn't out yet and is still getting revised. So this rumor is a load of crap.

Depends on your definition of "next gen".
Was the Wii not next-gen (or now current-gen) due to its specs?

Specs don't dictate what generation a console is in.

Just hoping the overall quality of the components don't suffer at the hands of cost-cutting. I'd hate to see a low quality screen on the controller
We already know about the screen, actually. It's a 854×480 (WVGA) 6.2 inch LCD screen. Some guys actually counted the pixels.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For me it's not just specs, but features. If something looks like a last gen console in graphics and feels like a last gen console in features then to me it doesn't count as part of the "next generation".

Basically you can't have a next generation with Kirk at the helm, if you wanted a Star Trek reference.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Unlike most of the sane people on the internet, I'm really worried about the power of next generations consoles. Its going to be kind of stupid because a computer that was built before the production of the Wii U/PS4/NewXbox would already be about 40% more powerful.

:sad:

Reactions: 1 person

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Unlike most of the sane people on the internet, I'm really worried about the power of next generations consoles. Its going to be kind of stupid because a computer that was built before the production of the Wii U/PS4/NewXbox would already bee about 40% more powerful.

:sad:
Which is why people turn to PC gaming.
But with PC gaming you need to keep up with new specs and pay a lot whereas with consoles you get them for cheaper and get better accessories and the games dont run slow if it is about 5 years old.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
at every time in history, a computer was more powerful than the consoles of that time, thats nothing new and nothing to worry about

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But with PC gaming you need to keep up with new specs and pay a lot whereas with consoles you get them for cheaper and get better accessories and the games dont run slow if it is about 5 years old.

Not that much. My friend has had his PC for quite a while and never needed to update his specs. He can still run most games on high.

Plus the only PC games people play are like Source games so specs are overrated.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

Not that much. My friend has had his PC for quite a while and never needed to update his specs. He can still run most games on high.

Plus the only PC games people play are like Source games so specs are overrated.
Yes but it would of cost him quite a bit more than a console when he first got it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but it would of cost him quite a bit more than a console when he first got it.

Well yeah, he spent $1200 on the thing when he first built it.

But you get a goddamn computer with it. Outside of gaming it's still the best web browsing experience, the best productivity center, and you can practically do anything on it, unlike a console which is really limited in comparison.

You also get the most customization, arguably the best controls, the most exclusives, and probably some of the better game deals as well.

Reactions: 1 person

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Price drops only come if a system doesn't sell well or its far into the system's life. The 3DS only dropped price because it wasn't selling well. I mean how long did it take for a Wii price drop? I actually don't know but I didn't think it was months or even a year after the system launched.

price drops happen, whenever it makes the most sense.
the wii, at least in germany, was already dropped in price in the first weeks, when different shops competed for the buyers. and it had its prices lowered everywhere pretty evenly before the first year was over. (only by like 20 or 30€, or it had a game added (basically 30€ off), or another free controller (almost 50€ off), things like that)

as for the 3ds, it didnt exactly sell so bad that they needed to drop the prices.
the 3ds price drop was a reaction to sonys low price for the vita.
obviously, at that moment, they could have kept their normal price and ignore the people saying "what? for just a few bucks more, in about one more year, i could have this more powerful gaming device?! fuck it, i'll wait" but they didnt. they lowered the price so that those people would be able to say "k, now the 3ds is in a good price range, in relation to what the vita will cost. now i dont feel ripped of and can buy it maybe." also they opened up the marked for people with less money. it was a pretty good move, even if it was forced by sony.

in addition to that, the vita basically had its price lowered before it was even released. and i can only guess they went that far (meaning loosing money with every sold console) to put some pressure on nintendo.

silver_ryder

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

For me it's not just specs, but features. If something looks like a last gen console in graphics and feels like a last gen console in features then to me it doesn't count as part of the "next generation".

Basically you can't have a next generation with Kirk at the helm, if you wanted a Star Trek reference.
Sure:

NES » SNES » N64 » GC » Wii » Wii-U

I'm glad that is just an opinion, if not for sure was needed to pay 500$ for your next-gen, better yet every time that pop a new video-game console ill needed to pay 500$.

Is all about games, if not PC Gaming was the ruler as video-games platform.

as for the 3ds, it didnt exactly sell so bad that they needed to drop the prices.
the 3ds price drop was a reaction to sonys low price for the vita.
obviously, at that moment, they could have kept their normal price and ignore the people saying "what? for just a few bucks more, in about one more year, i could have this more powerful gaming device?! .
Exactly, it was a smart move from Nintendo.

3DS sold alot more than Vita on launch and the weeks after that, the difference with the price cut is that after 1 year 3DS is solid on the market and beat the DS sales and everything else to have third party supports.

And you don't now why that is happening?

Is really simple consoles is leading, and impose the "progress" on the video-game industry, in my point off view after seven years my PS3 was a platform more cheaper to play that other PC...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: With other peoples couches