OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
1677935340830.png

FORESHADOWING LOL​

Funko, purveyor of the (in)famous Funko Pop dollies, the creepy, samey hunks of plastic lazily modeled after every single piece of pop culture that has been released in the last two hundred years, announced that they have "30 million dollars' worth" of stock in, well, stock, and they would be... let's see how their statement put it:

"Inventory at year-end totalled $246.4 million, an increase of 48% compared to a year ago. This includes inventory that the Company intends to eliminate in the first half of 2023 to reduce fulfilment costs by managing inventory levels to align with the operating capacity of our distribution centre."

Basically, "we're shitting 'em out faster than we can flog 'em, so now we're knee-deep in plastic we have to get rid of."

And how will they be... aligning the inventory levels with the operating capacity of the blah de blah?
By sending $30 million worth of product the way of Atari's E.T. - straight to some landfill.

Normally products like that get discounted, to recoup some of the losses, but it is literally cheaper to just dump them than to manage logistics.
And also selling them under the full MSRP would be dilluting the perceived value of the toys and casting doubt on their normal pricing.
And all in all it's more profitable to just skip the middle man and ship them straight to the landfill.

Which brings me to the "$30 million" number, which was pulled from the same source as the gaming publishers' estimated "losses" to piracy: straight from their butt.
It is the full retail price of a Funko toy, times the inventory. It's nowhere near the cost of manufacture.

That doesn't make the dump any less colossal though, at a rough estimate that's 300 metric tons of Funko Poop.

But hey, that's business baby.

https://www.ign.com/articles/funko-is-sending-30-million-worth-of-its-products-to-a-landfill

Reactions: SylverReZ

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Saw this doing the rounds, though I had honestly expected the bubble to pop long before now. Going to be curious to see what becomes of various game (computer and board) and comic shops that seem to have these as the main money spinner.

Also curious what the most desired models will be in 15-20 years among the remaining collectors (people liken these things to beanie babies, and yeah other than the speculation levels not quite being there it is a direct line, but it is noted there is still a market and still rare and hard to come by ones, just not the same as the ones back at the height

I'll buy that for a cent! But not much more.
Careful with such things. More than once I have been dragged in when someone bought a going concern or some scrap and found it was going to cost to dispose and/or bring things up to snuff.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funko pops are just Beanie Babies for this generation. I’m surprised it took this long for people to stop buying as many of them.

I never understood the hype tbh the figures are too small for what they charge imo

It’s sad to hear/see just how much plastic waste they created though, just to “preserve” their image. With Companies and and rich people creating this much waste. There’s litterally jack shit the rest of us can do, when one company, can produce enough waste without trying, that offsets the sacrifices thousands of people try and make each day to do their part

Reactions: krakenx

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I don't collect stuff like this, but if it's even unprofitable to sell these for cheap (they mention logistics etc), how much would they need to sell these ones to break even / make it worth their while?
At least recycle the plastic or something.
Weird.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a company that makes thousands of tonnes of generic ugly molded plastic they sell as "collectibles" is dumping it in a landfill instead of recycling it?

When is Greta gonna protest these guys, instead of Norwegian windmills

Funko is such a scummy company and their product is garbage - hopefully they go bankrupt soon

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You should watch them to find out where they bury them.
They should bury them at the place where unsold copies of E.T. were, that'll be way easier for collectors to come and find them and then sell it all for really inflated prices on eBay.

Reactions: caipora

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Massive conglomerate directly contributes to plastic pollution but the public is to busy arguing about politics....

I hate this world so much...
Even just like donating a shit load of them somewhere would be a step in the right direction if they don’t want to pay for recycling.

I’m sure some kids somewhere would love playing with these. Yes they don’t do much, but kids can be creative

Reactions: Kioku

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Massive conglomerate directly contributes to plastic pollution but the public is to busy arguing about politics....
Regulations that would prevent that have been made a political matter by lawmakers bought and paid for by those same conglomerates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79IIbOZmwvI