Sony Denies Use of Mods on Fallout 4 and Skyrim

12230-3-1330993310-620x350.jpg

The use of mods on consoles was a huge surprise and welcome addition to bethesda games at their e3 conference last year and this year. Being able to alter the game and bring some kind of exclusivity from PC to consoles was going to be a real treat for the console space.

That is of course, until Sony completely blocked the use of Mods.

Bethesda said:
After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available.

We will provide an update if and when this situation changes.

As of now, it looks like mod support will be left solely to the PC and Xbox One console. A strange move on Sony's part that they will hopefully reverse in the future.

Otherwise what is even the point of playing Skyrim again on PS4..?

:arrow: SOURCE

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you can't really blame Sony for the amount of paranoia they're showing with this (considering just how much they've had in the way of breaches), provided the decision IS based on security, you also can't help but laugh and point. Because now two AAA titles for their console are going to sell like garbage.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,
Reactions: the_randomizer

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
$ony probably considers any unauthorised mods dat could run under ps4's gameos would violate/bypass consol's security....

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish there were more details on why Sony denied it.

I can almost guarantee you it's because Sony wants to be able to control what's allowed and what isn't, and Beth ain't havin it. Sony = control freak.

They're probably specifically paranoid that some "offensive" mod will make the news and ignorant reporters will just use headlines like "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT YOUR CHILDREN ARE PLAYING ON THEIR PLAYSTATION!"

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
10 points for PC Master Race!

Yeah, Sony is just paranoid that maybe hackers will find exploits thru modding.
I guess you could say they're just protecting what's theirs. haha.
Remember, you don't own the PS4. You just rented it. lol sony, lol.
Be careful or you might get sued, be the next geohot. hahaha
These corporate greedy b*stards.... geez.

Last edited by ov3rkill,
Reactions: Luckkill4u
D

Deleted User

Knowing Sony's antics as of late, especially with what I'm hearing about NMS' development, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the issue is just bullheadedness on their end.

If it is a security issue, there isn't too much work that Bethesda would need to do compared to the time and man-hours already sank into console mod support. Limit mods to RO for game files and other mod packages, RW to only FO4's save folder, no direct memory operations, and engine-side overflow prevention to start, maybe a custom compiler that does compile-time obfusication and encryption if they want to be extra serious about it.

Chris313

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe they were cautious because the mods may allow the homebrew community to make a homebrew or something or for security reason
Not at all sure or they just don't like mods?

Last edited by Chris313,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

"Denies" why not just use the exact word -- blocked?

That's just Sony being Sony.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are still rumors the console versions are just the pc version with special DRMs for each. If true, someone may eventually find a way to launch emulators from the pimp, like people can in the PC version.

Ryu Kenshin

Trophies
XP
Country
There are still rumors the console versions are just the pc version with special DRMs for each. If true, someone may eventually find a way to launch emulators from the pimp, like people can in the PC version.
PS4 has 8 paritions with difference access keys and user policies. So Sony doesn't want to share the key to let user access deeper into their system or change their strict policies.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you can't really blame Sony for the amount of paranoia they're showing with this (considering just how much they've had in the way of breaches), provided the decision IS based on security, you also can't help but laugh and point. Because now two AAA titles for their console are going to sell like garbage.

So glad I have a Wii U and PC, so I can still play the game and enjoy mods for it, I feel bad for those who have a PS4 but no PC along with it. Conversely, one would think that Sony would at least have the foresight to further elaborate why to lessen the blow of disappointment to their fans. This is why I say Sony pulled a Nintendo, which is defined as doing something weird like this without telling people why.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Arecaidian Fox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-