Sony Denies Use of Mods on Fallout 4 and Skyrim

12230-3-1330993310-620x350.jpg

The use of mods on consoles was a huge surprise and welcome addition to bethesda games at their e3 conference last year and this year. Being able to alter the game and bring some kind of exclusivity from PC to consoles was going to be a real treat for the console space.

That is of course, until Sony completely blocked the use of Mods.

Bethesda said:
After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available.

We will provide an update if and when this situation changes.

As of now, it looks like mod support will be left solely to the PC and Xbox One console. A strange move on Sony's part that they will hopefully reverse in the future.

Otherwise what is even the point of playing Skyrim again on PS4..?

:arrow: SOURCE

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Can we use mods to break the ps4 or exploit the console? i think that is what Sony is fearing.

we can still modify the games once the ps4 is hacked anyway
Most likely... Mods aren't just texture replacement, there are tons of mods with coding and new stuff that was not in the game.. To allow it on the console would most likely be a piracy entry point.. Bethesda would need to limit lots of stuff but it's a risk Sony is not willing to take..

Last edited by migles,

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Aren't console mods distributed by an Bethesda online server though?
They should be checking that out for malicious code.
Also Fallout 4 has mods on Xbox and I don't see any Xbone exploits being shown like that PS4 linux thing.
Xbox should really start to look like the more attractive console to console players right about now.

D

Deleted User

Wow! After hearing about all the shit Sony's doing, our household might possibly become a Nintendo and Microsoft household instead of a Nintendo and Sony household if they keep on doing stupid stuff like this.
And you can play Xbox One games on PC too, right? That's a damn good deal if I do say so myself.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hopefully, hackers will use this to channel their anger and crack the PS4 wide open, similar to what the ps3 scene hackers did back in 2011 after sony denied them their precious linux :P

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I wish there were more details on why Sony denied it. That was a really vague statement and it's clear that Bethesda was the one who pulled out most likely unwilling to compromise.
I really doubt that...how many years have Bethesda mods been going on PC now? And for free, none the less? There was that whole "paid mods" debacle, but that didn't last very long.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I wish there were more details on why Sony denied it. That was a really vague statement and it's clear that Bethesda was the one who pulled out most likely unwilling to compromise.
This.

Everyone is acting like Sony did this out of malicious intent when in reality it's more likely they wanted additional conditions to how mods work/what mods are allowed and Bethesda just said no, especially with the way they worded their statement:
After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

I imagine Sony didn't want mods that will go around breaking games or cause performance issues or change content in such a way that might be offensive or whatever, whereas Bethesda basically says "everything or nothing".

That said, I do think a compromise will be made eventually, I doubt this is a permanent decision at all. I imagine by the time the Skyrim re-release comes out we'll see at least some form of mods for the PS4, whether they'll be restricted or not.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think most of the good Skyrim mods will even work on the console version, because they require SKSE. I think more than 50% of mods require it.

Also, wouldn't surprise me if they were paranoid that someone can find an exploit with Skyrim/Fallout modding. I guess they don't want a Skyrimhax or a Fallouthax on PS4. :P
SKSE is a requirement for a lot of the really awesome mods out there, but you'd still be able to do do quest mods, NPC mods, texture and audio... Of course it really depends on which mods the authors will publish on that platform.

Reactions: Deleted User

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
This.

Everyone is acting like Sony did this out of malicious intent when in reality it's more likely they wanted additional conditions to how mods work/what mods are allowed and Bethesda just said no, especially with the way they worded their statement:

I imagine Sony didn't want mods that will go around breaking games or cause performance issues or change content in such a way that might be offensive or whatever, whereas Bethesda basically says "everything or nothing".

That said, I do think a compromise will be made eventually, I doubt this is a permanent decision at all. I imagine by the time the Skyrim re-release comes out we'll see at least some form of mods for the PS4, whether they'll be restricted or not.
So what does Sony have against it that Microsoft is fine with?

Reactions: Deleted User

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So what does Sony have against it that Microsoft is fine with?
Who can say? Obviously they have different terms and conditions when it comes to what's allowed and what's not allowed on their platform. Maybe games on the PS4 have more system access than the Xbox One so they don't want any software issues to come up, maybe their legal team sees more issues with allowing mostly unregulated user-created content to run free, maybe they'd have to update their own software to get some mods properly working. There are hundreds of reasons why a "no-holds-bar" approach to game mods that Bethesda supposedly wants might fail on a platform as restricting as a game console.

This is why it's annoying Bethesda made such a vague statement. It's just as likely Bethesda is simply being inflexible with their terms than Sony saying "NO WE HATE GAMERS GTFO".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +2