Skyward Sword HD will have a $25 amiibo that unlocks new fast travel features

The upcoming release of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD on the Nintendo Switch will see more than just a fresh coat of HD paint--the game will also add in some new quality of life changes. For example, the newly-revealed Zelda and Loftwing amiibo will let players fast travel to the sky from within dungeons or while on land. In the original release of the game, fast travel mechanics were only available when you were at Bird Statues, which also acted as save points.

This wouldn't mark the first time that Nintendo has locked features behind the paywall of using amiibo; Metroid: Samus Returns on the Nintendo 3DS had a controversial reveal that an amiibo would unlock a special Fusion Mode. Nintendo hasn't made it entirely clear as to whether or not fast travel capabilities will be locked purely behind purchasing the more-expensive-than-usual $24.99 amiibo, but for now, it seems like it's exclusive to those that can scan the figure. Both The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD and the fast-travel unlocking Zelda and Loftwing amiibo will launch on July 16th.

Every legend has an origin – and soon you can follow the earliest tale in The Legend of Zelda™ timeline when the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD game launches on the Nintendo Switch™ system. The HD version of this classic adventure features enhanced performance, smoother motion controls, and newly added button-only controls. The new “Zelda & Loftwing” amiibo* will be released on July 16 to accompany the launch of the game.

Zelda_Loftwing_amiibo.jpg

The Zelda & Loftwing amiibo features two characters on a single base: Zelda as she appears in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, and her trusty Loftwing.

In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, Zelda is the hero Link’s childhood friend, and is always looking out for him. Loftwings are large birds living on the floating islands of Skyloft and are ridden by the people there to travel across the skies.

Zelda_Loftwing_amiibo_screens1.jpg

Introducing the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo!

In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, the adventure takes place between the skies where Link and his friends reside, and the vast world of the surface that lies beneath the clouds.

Normally, you can only return from the surface to the sky by way of designated save points, but using the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo while on the surface in the game will allow you to return to the skies from anywhere on the surface, even inside dungeons.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I already own bought of Zelda Skyward Sword on my Nintendo Wii and love it.

I don't know that Zelda Skyward sword remake coming to Nintendo Switch. Oh it's need amiibo to unlock for fast travel. I never interest in amiibo because they are junk and just for kids to playing with toys.

If I see remake or remaster same games on next generation of Nintendo systems then I don't want to play again. Just for newbies or young people who never experience should buy it and play it. No thanks to Nintendo for me and I don't want to buy same game again.

Reactions: Codemastershock

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wonder how this amiibo will affect speedruns. Though this is another reason why I got myself 20 writeable NFC Tags and a database of amiibos, Nintendo puts these things behind an artificial paywall and people will find a way to get around it for less than 50c a piece.

I'm still going to get the amiibo, though. That thing goes right on my shelf with the other Links and Zeldas so I can be one step closer of having one of each for every game on display.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
BOTW? Worse den Skyward Sword? Worse den Triforce Heroes? Worse den fuckin' Zelda's Adventure? Tell me you're jokin' bub, tell me I don't gotta pull out the ol Chicago Overalls if you see what I'm sayin.
Tri-Force Heroes is in no way a "mainline" LoZ game, due to its multiplayer focus and tacked-on singleplayer, so I don't count it as such. As for the CDi games...yeah, no, they don't count either - they're not Nintendo games.

So yeah, BotW is the worst game due to it just being so radically different compared to the rest of the series. The N64 games did have weapon fragility (Giant's Knife and Razor Sword), but those were optional and could be essentially skipped permanently - unlike in this travesty, where not even the Master Sword (which spent an untold amount of time exposed to the elements by Twilight Princess' time, or under the sea and exposed to salty air and water in The Wind Waker, yet remained pristine) has infinite durability. Stamina's a major inherent flaw as well, and the art style is hideous, and combat (even without fragility) is awkward and slow.

Meanwhile, Skyward Sword is more similar to a standard LoZ game, giving it the upper hand over BotW - though it's still far from flawless. Dysfunctional motion controls, limited Pouch, shield fragility (which is negated once the lategame Hylian Shield is obtained - learn from this, BotW), stamina, repetition, slow Sky traversal, the Sky is largely empty (unlike the Great Sea), the awful Imprisoned fights.

So yes, BotW is the "worst game in the series" by my reckoning. I've tried to play it multiple times now, and I just can not understand why so many people adore it. It's truly baffling.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Don't see anything wrong with it, I mean, it's just an extra, not something you really need.
I only have 3 amiibos (the ones from MH Rise), but I don't see a problem with some stuff being related to the amiibo. You don't need them. Usually these features are just a nice extra to those that like buying the figures.

Rafciu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Omg i cant belive it. First they annouced lazy remake for 60$ then You must spend another 25$ for basic feature in lazy remake. The worst thing that people still buy it because its Zelda title...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Fans: "Hey Nintendo, can we get Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD ported while we wait for Breath of the Wild 2?"

Nintendo: "No, but we'll give you a port of the least-liked 3D Zelda game instead, since we hate money. And you."

Fans: ". . ."

Nintendo: "Oh, and we're locking a QoL improvement behind an amiibo paywall, so suck our balls."

Ibcap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tri-Force Heroes is in no way a "mainline" LoZ game, due to its multiplayer focus and tacked-on singleplayer, so I don't count it as such.
The original message said nothing about mainline
As for the CDi games...yeah, no, they don't count either - they're not Nintendo games.
Theyre still official Zelda games in that Nintendo legally gave the rights for them to be made, they just arent canon. If nintendo making the games is a requirement then Minish Cap isnt a zelda game either.
So yeah, BotW is the worst game due to it just being so radically different compared to the rest of the series.
What kind of an argument is this? Being unique is now a bad thing?
The N64 games did have weapon fragility (Giant's Knife and Razor Sword), but those were optional and could be essentially skipped permanently - unlike in this travesty, where not even the Master Sword (which spent an untold amount of time exposed to the elements by Twilight Princess' time, or under the sea and exposed to salty air and water in The Wind Waker, yet remained pristine) has infinite durability. Stamina's a major inherent flaw as well, and the art style is hideous, and combat (even without fragility) is awkward and slow.
Id argue that BOTWs breaking weapons is a good system because it forces you to explore more carefully, forces you to experiment with different weapon types, makes each weapon you get meaningful (unlike in a game like dark souls where you ignore 95% of weapons you get unless theyre both for your build AND stronger than what you already have) and keeps you from running straight to an OP weapon early and using it the whole game. However I can accept that other people disagree with that, its really an interesting game design discussion and clearly does not have an easy objective answer. As for stamina, Im willing to say youre absolutely wrong on that in my view. To remove the stamina system the game would have to be radically redesigned in such a way that would alter it for the worse in my opinion. And unlike the weapon durability I have never seen anyone agree with you before that the stamina system is a major flaw in the game. Same goes for the art, and the combat, while not stellar, is serviceable and certainly better than something like elder scrolls.
Meanwhile, Skyward Sword is more similar to a standard LoZ game, giving it the upper hand over BotW - though it's still far from flawless.
Again, horrible argument. Being similar to other games does not make it better. If anything it makes it worse, if two games are equal in quality ill generally enjoy the unique one more.

And ill end this post by saying that in a way BOTW is actually much more of a pure zelda title than SS is. Zelda originally was a series about being dropped in an unfamiliar land with nothing but a sword and a map and needing to discover secrets and beat bosses. Skyward sword is much more of a linear, story driven experience that doesnt give the player as much freedom as the original zelda games and doesnt have as much of a focus on secrets, exploration and discovery. BOTW to an extent is a return to form for the series, harkening back to the original focus on exploring a big hostile open world full of secrets without a story holding your hand through most of the game (granted botw has a story but it only pops up very rarely). This isnt to say botw is better than SS *because* it is more of a traditional zelda title than ss is, just that your argument about botw being the least 'zelda' zelda game is completely untrue.

Last edited by Ibcap,

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hehehe... Activision and EA can take some pointers from this.

I wonder when we get an amiibo that allows the inclusion of a start button so you can start the game.

Any time, now.

Crazystato

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wish that app didn't require root. I actually have a phone that would otherwise be compatible with it.

I did try a linux software called joycontrol just now, but the system fw 12.0.0 update also broke that. So close.
It doesn't require root. I use it all the time to get villagers to visit my animal crossing island on s10 5g

Scratch that I see fw 12 killed it

Last edited by Crazystato, , Reason: I was wrong

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The original message said nothing about mainline

Theyre still official Zelda games in that Nintendo legally gave the rights for them to be made, they just arent canon. If nintendo making the games is a requirement then Minish Cap isnt a zelda game either.

What kind of an argument is this? Being unique is now a bad thing?

Id argue that BOTWs breaking weapons is a good system because it forces you to explore more carefully, forces you to experiment with different weapon types, makes each weapon you get meaningful (unlike in a game like dark souls where you ignore 95% of weapons you get unless theyre both for your build AND stronger than what you already have) and keeps you from running straight to an OP weapon early and using it the whole game. However I can accept that other people disagree with that, its really an interesting game design discussion and clearly does not have an easy objective answer. As for stamina, Im willing to say youre absolutely wrong on that in my view. To remove the stamina system the game would have to be radically redesigned in such a way that would alter it for the worse in my opinion. And unlike the weapon durability I have never seen anyone agree with you before that the stamina system is a major flaw in the game. Same goes for the art, and the combat, while not stellar, is serviceable and certainly better than something like elder scrolls.

Again, horrible argument. Being similar to other games does not make it better. If anything it makes it worse, if two games are equal in quality ill generally enjoy the unique one more.

And ill end this post by saying that in a way BOTW is actually much more of a pure zelda title than SS is. Zelda originally was a series about being dropped in an unfamiliar land with nothing but a sword and a map and needing to discover secrets and beat bosses. Skyward sword is much more of a linear, story driven experience that doesnt give the player as much freedom as the original zelda games and doesnt have as much of a focus on secrets, exploration and discovery. BOTW to an extent is a return to form for the series, harkening back to the original focus on exploring a big hostile open world full of secrets without a story holding your hand through most of the game (granted botw has a story but it only pops up very rarely). This isnt to say botw is better than SS *because* it is more of a traditional zelda title than ss is, just that your argument about botw being the least 'zelda' zelda game is completely untrue.
While the first Zelda game did drop the player in the middle of nowhere with little instruction, as the series progressed and grew it became more story-focused and much less confusing - which was a very pleasant change.
In games like Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask, and A Link Between Worlds, while you were somewhat free to do what you wanted, it was still obvious what the main goals were and where places are. Other games, like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, were far more linear, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

BotW is indeed "different" to what Legend of Zelda has grown to be, and while change can be a good thing, going back to the first game's style - and doing it worse by implementing stamina and fragility - just was not a good decision in my eyes. I strongly dislike being dumped with barely any direction or help; there's not even any map markers to guide me, aside from the inaccurate ones I place myself based on what I can see (which inevitably means missing content).
Games like Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, and yes, Skyward Sword, are far more true to what "Legend of Zelda" has come to mean - and BotW suffers for wanting to be different. It's why I managed to finish Skyward Sword multiple times despite its many flaws, but not once managed to progress far into BotW - one at least felt kind of like a Legend of Zelda game, while the other just flat-out doesn't.
To me, this game is quite similar to Shenmue 3; it tries to mimic a game from decades ago, but in the process failed to learn from the myriad of quality-of-life and gameplay improvements the industry has obtained over that time.

As for "breakable weapons forces the player to experiment", that's a horrible counterargument - games like Assassin's Creed Origins have plenty of different weapon types the player can try out, but it negates the potential frustration caused by weapons breaking - AND the resulting loss of interest in equipment rewards because the player knows said "rewards" will just break eventually anyway so what's the point - by simply leaving that crappy mechanic out. Instead, new weapons have explicit attack stats and bonus effects, with the general power level clearly increasing as the player levels up, and if the player has enough money they can strengthen older weapons they like to keep up.
Assassin's Creed Origins has a far superior "experiment with weapon types" system than BotW does, because I actually WANT to try out new stuff, instead of being forced to, and I can still keep and use old favourites if I want to.

As for "the game would have to be radically redesigned in such a way that would alter it for the worse", that's incorrect - all they would have to do is simply include a toggle or something. What would it change about the inherent gameplay? Barely anything of note - oh, sure, you can now climb whatever mountain you want, or glide for as long as you'd like, but would that be a bad thing? Climbing tall mountains would still be disincentivised due to the frigid climates mountaintops tend to have, and unlimited gliding would be a benefit. Not to mention infinite sprinting and swimming and spin attacks, and the shrine orbs only being used to increase Hearts instead of having a stupid choice between Hearts or stamina.
Again, I fail to see how the game would have to be "radically redesigned" - it's a simple removal that would improve it quite a bit. Still wouldn't help fragility or the lack of map markers, or the hideous art style, though...

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Anyway, ugly amiibo for the second-worst game in the series. Don't like.
Then locking a handy mechanic behind it is even scummier.

GIVE US A BRAND-NEW REGULAR LEGEND OF ZELDA GAME ALREADY - IT'S BEEN EIGHT YEARS (A Link Between Worlds, 2013)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__