Homebrew RELEASE SKyNX V1.0 - Stream your PC games to your Nintendo Switch!

frostii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,
I'm thinking about trying this homebrew - looks great!
I currently have no internet settings whatsoever on my Switch. Afraid of kids accidentally updating.
What will I need to do to get this up and running (assuming I'd like to stay offline) if possible?
SXOS user.....

Thanks in advance.

Nikoru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been using this homebrew none stop since it came out, I have to say that I am really loving it!
I've run Pcsx2 with no issues at all as well as rpcsx3 (only think I faced was slow button responses which I think is from the emulator since everything else worked fine.)
I've run all of my games and it ran very smoothly. I think the only thing that was a tiny issue was when I would run my games through this homebrew and my PC would prompt for admin permission, the connection would cutout until I manually click allow from my PC, this wasn't really much of an issue as I would have to do it only once for each game that required it.
overall, I think this is a literal game-changer for me and can't wait for future updates. thank you!
EDIT: I forgot to touch on the lag, it was barely there for me, the moment I experienced it, I immediately switched my internet connection to another one and it ran pretty nicely.
I didn't play any fps games or anything that required precision and top-notch fast gameplay (don't think this anyone who would want something like that should or would resort to this homebrew)
Did it run 60fps stable on PCSX2?

TonyMax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,
I'm thinking about trying this homebrew - looks great!
I currently have no internet settings whatsoever on my Switch. Afraid of kids accidentally updating.
What will I need to do to get this up and running (assuming I'd like to stay offline) if possible?
SXOS user.....

Thanks in advance.

Shouldn't matter that you use SXOS, but just setup your wireless like normal, except setup a manual DNS. I used 90DNS and it works well, makes it so there is no connecting to Nintendo.

Reactions: frostii

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome, great work! Just woke up and give it a test now. I have been using switchroot to stream my steam and PS4 to my switch with decent results (ps4 has been flawless) but I'm excited try this out.

Thanks for your hard work!

Last edited by MajinCubyan,

angelo93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m really excited about this new app and thank you for the hard work! I do have a couple of questions though as I’m trying to keep my switch from getting banned.
1. Does it require internet or just a local wireless network for the pc and switch to talk?
2. Does it still work with incognito? (I’m assuming yes, since incognito doesn’t mess with network stuff per say)

ratamahatta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is so close to working flawlessly, the video and audio difference between my laptop and the switch is minuscule, only just noticeable, muting the laptop and still having the audio sent to the switch is awesome.

The only problem I had was a controller issue, I was attempting to play Oblivion and the right hand joystick was unresponsive, and the buttons seemed to be a bit mixed up (eg left joystick click was block, right joystick click was attack) and I couldn't click any message prompts which I had to do on my laptop which puts a big dent in the experience.
Is there any way I can manually change the button assignment outside of the game? in a config file or something?

For the record I am using the 5GHz wifi band, with my laptop and switch sitting right next to the router. and am streaming at 10Mbps.

Great work on the homebrew, keep it up :D

Reactions: Stealphie

Nicola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
So I tried this app:
-The lag is very low when close to the router, but as soon as I got more than 1m from it, I couldn't play anymore. Note that I don't have the best nor most recent router.
-The lag very low, about the same as a good TV for gaming, so probably around 30/40ms, when moving the mouse from the PC and looking at the switch, but when the switch directly controlled the input, lag increases slightly. It would still be playable at a stable FPS.
-Video quality was fine even at 4Mbps and good at 20Mbps, I would play games with that if I had a stable experience.
-FPS was 60 when the scene was quite static, but quickly dropped to single digits when there were loads of changes between frames.
-Audio quality was terrible (didn't experiment too much).
-I hope you are using the GPU to encode and the H265 codec. Nvidia GPUs supports it natively. The would help the lag a lot.
-There are either memory leaks or re-connection problems, probably in the switch app (which I installed), as FPS gradually goes lower and sometimes it fails to reconnect without re-opening the app.
-I've notice the streaming app says it's streaming at more than 60fps if your monitor refresh rate is so, and that is a good thing, as frames are ready earlier which massively help the already high input lag, so you should clamp the encoding at 60fps without forcing the users to set their monitor refresh rate to 60.
-You should allow PCs to run at any resolution but force the encoding to downscale to 720p, so that downscaling doesn't fall back on the switch.
-I got a java error when I closed the PC app once.
-I don't know how you are capturing the frame buffer, but I hope you are not doing anything hacky, one of the games that I tried, which is usually stable, constantly crashed.
-I overclocked the switch app hoping to get better results, and maybe it helped, but that didn't seem to be the bottleneck in my case.
-The controller works great, but there seemed to be a massive (unnecessary) dead zone for the sticks? Dead zone is already managed by games, so you shouldn't have any. But I might have just tested games with high dead zone so if i'm wrong, just, ignore this.

Last edited by Nicola,

hell_night

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
You're wrong
My setup is perfect and I have one of the best internet in the entire world.
It’s about the home network speed. Has nothing to do with fast internet that is provided by the ISP. :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your internet has absolutely nothing to do with local streaming.

Also this nothing like the old app where the sound and stream were broken.

You need to have 5ghz wifi local network, non shared.

Some games that use 98-100% of the cpu will not work since this uses the cpu not the nvidia/amd gpu.

If your switch is not connected to an online router this will happen I have the same problem, the app wont connect to a router with no internet. This has to do with the switch disabling the wifi.
Exactly unfortunately this isn’t a derivative of moonlight like on android! I’ve bricked one of my switches sadly so I’ll try this on the other one and take it for a spin! Wish they’d add moonlight support instead of going to android every now and then for streaming stuff..

Legend Of Kay

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I just played about half an hour of Final Fantasy 7 Remake on my switch. PS4 remote play and this app. Wasn’t perfect there was some lag not sure if that’s just my weak as shit computer though. It was definitely playable and the sound wasn’t that bad at all.

hell_night

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
I just played about half an hour of Final Fantasy 7 Remake on my switch. PS4 remote play and this app. Wasn’t perfect there was some lag not sure if that’s just my weak as shit computer though. It was definitely playable and the sound wasn’t that bad at all.
You have to take into account that The PS4 to the PC already has latency and then streaming over to the switch is some extra work.. That must be the reason..

Legend Of Kay

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You have to take into account that The PS4 to the PC already has latency and then streaming over to the switch is some extra work.. That must be the reason..
Yeah that definitely adds to it. Trust me I’m not complaining. I can only imagine this app will get better. I’m even considering getting a semi-decent gaming pc now that something this solid is out. Using an iMac booted into windows still doesn’t play games that well before even streaming it to the switch.

Reactions: hell_night

DevL0rd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to everyones feed back, I was able to fix all the issues and add GPU encoding for those with Nvidia graphics cards.
Enjoy!

https://github.com/DevL0rd/SkyNX/releases/

Changes
  • Use Analog sticks and triggers to control mouse
  • Use gyro to control mouse like a Wii remote.
  • Built in Nvidia encoding for low latency.
  • Automatically sets desktop resolution for max performance. (Optional)
  • Limit stream to 30fps (Good for emulators like Cemu)
  • Added some tooltips
  • Added start on boot.
  • Added prompt to reboot after installing drivers.
  • Added donate button. You know, just in case you wanna by me a coffee ;)
  • Fixed resolution detect on scaled monitors.
  • Fixed audio volume.
Notes
This is only a update to the streamer app.

Mine just says "waiting for connection" and never connects. My Switch and PC are on the same network and I entered the IP correctly and everything

Mine does the same.
maybe the latest version will fix it for you using the Nvidia encoder

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried it maybe I can give others insight. You MUST have good internet for this to work I was on a VPN downloading the game and I couldnt even get it to play. But when I took it off and increased the speed to 20mbps everything worked flawlessly. I tried Kakarot for the PC and then I streamed my Xbox One. I tried a SNES emulator and it worked good.

Very nice @Devlord you saved me the trouble of trying to get android on my switch, Please keep up the good work. I'm assuming the app cant multiask since when I exit a game have to cut the steam off and then on. Nevertheless great work

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Booting android on Switch is a bit annoying and setting it up moreso, but just FYI the official PS4 remote play app works pretty well there, at least at 720p. Well, aside from android only supporting 8-direction analogs but that's barely an issue in a game like FF7R.

Legend Of Kay

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Booting android on Switch is a bit annoying and setting it up moreso, but just FYI the official PS4 remote play app works pretty well there, at least at 720p. Well, aside from android only supporting 8-direction analogs but that's barely an issue in a game like FF7R.
Yeah I always found Android on switch very slow for me. Maybe once a big update I’ll look into it again. Tbh I’m not a huge fan of having to switch sd cards so this works best. I assume with even more updates this app will just keep improving.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SnowStormAkikaze @ SnowStormAkikaze: Hey :) If I book mark the topic where can I read them?