Hacking Sky3DS released a new card - no limit for games.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'd sooner trust a company that is inept by now knowing how to makes saves work (sky) than a company that intentionally bricks their customer's hardware (gateway).

How quickly we forget that GW was eager to screw users. Now everyone treats them like canonized saints, harbingers of freedom, warriors of superb service. Until they change their mind and start bricking again.
small difference is gateway screwed up, they never intended to screw over their customers, whereas sky3ds was pretty much only trying to do so.....so it comes down to who do you put your faith in someone who made one mistake in over a year of supporting their product or someone who purposefully tried to screw you over and came out with a "revision" like 1 month after they released the first one

not only that gateway actually replaced the consoles of gateway users who did get bricked....i don't see sky offering to replace the cards of the early adopters ....nah here is a hacky tool someone else made....yay we "support" you all

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'd sooner trust a company that is inept by now knowing how to makes saves work (sky) than a company that intentionally bricks their customer's hardware (gateway).

How quickly we forget that GW was eager to screw users. Now everyone treats them like canonized saints, harbingers of freedom, warriors of superb service. Until they change their mind and start bricking again.

A tired argument, don't you think? A mistake that was made so long ago. I'm sure by now they've more than made up for it.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I think the real dealbreaker is whether or not Gateway's 9.x support features emuNAND. They still haven't confirmed it yet. If it does work, then it'll have the advantage when Sky3DS is eventually blocked by an update, and GW can keep functioning up-to-date through emuNAND.

They've confirmed it via email.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
A tired argument, don't you think? A mistake that was made so long ago. I'm sure by now they've more than made up for it.

And sky is still in it's infancy. Give it a break.

Words /= Bytes

Excuse me?

You're mistaken.
Code:
In x86 assembly language WORD , DOUBLEWORD ( DWORD ) and QUADWORD ( QWORD ) are used for 2, 4 and 8 byte sizes,
regardless of the machine word size. A word is typically the "native" data size of the CPU.
That is, on a 16-bit CPU, a word is 16 bits, on a 32-bit CPU, it's 32 and so on.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
And sky is still in it's infancy. Give it a break.

Excuse me?

You're mistaken.
Code:
In x86 assembly language WORD , DOUBLEWORD ( DWORD ) and QUADWORD ( QWORD ) are used for 2, 4 and 8 byte sizes,
regardless of the machine word size. A word is typically the "native" data size of the CPU.
That is, on a 16-bit CPU, a word is 16 bits, on a 32-bit CPU, it's 32 and so on.

True, but it's highly limited. Would be interesting to see a menu of some sorts.

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reality is, unfortunately, the sky3ds team did not know that they could have more than 10 games either. It took someone else figuring out how to solve the problem. I think they originally took someone elses idea and made their card from it. They probably bought the idea and did not really fully understand it themselves. So all the speculation about the limit being intentionally engineered into the card is probably false. I think they were surprised to find out it could actually be solved simply by redirecting the saves to the sd card. That is why the limit was there. It truly was a hardware limitation because they did not know how to solve it in software. That's what the patcher app does. Fixes the roms to write the save files to the micro sdhc. So, the scary part is not that they are greedy. Every business is in business to make money. SURPRISE! The scary thing is that they made the card and obviously had no idea how it actually worked, heh.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Fender94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but it's highly limited. Would be interesting to see a menu of some sorts.
An OSD rom menu would not be possible on Sky3ds like it is on Gateway because it requires an exploit. Sky3ds does not use an exploit on the system firmware to do that.

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

gateway's fanboy bro, just ignore them !

Reactions: the_randomizer

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's a lie, they were just greedy bastards and wanted people to buy more of their shit. I hope gateway comes out with their new release ASAP so that these jerks can bite the dust.

Whats your fuckin' problem? Got Gateway shares? Calm down. People who got a Flashcard religion are having too much leisure time.

Reactions: SLiV3R and Sonicx64

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To be honest I am tempted to buy the Sky3DS card above a Gateway at the moment. I just got my first (New) Nintendo 3DS (9.0) and want to play some games. Gateway is taking way too long to release the new software and isn't even working on 9.3

Sure homebrew support, region free and fancy game selection menu is nice but not really needed. Homebrew is only fun for emulation of old systems. Region free isn’t a problem since, most (English) games are available for USA and EU. And do you really need a game selection menu? How many games do you play at the same time that you would have more than 5 games on the card anyway.

Sonicx64

任豚好騙!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest I am tempted to buy the Sky3DS card above a Gateway at the moment. I just got my first (New) Nintendo 3DS (9.0) and want to play some games. Gateway is taking way too long to release the new software and isn't even working on 9.3

Sure homebrew support, region free and fancy game selection menu is nice but not really needed. Homebrew is only fun for emulation of old systems. Region free isn’t a problem since, most (English) games are available for USA and EU. And do you really need a game selection menu? How many games do you play at the same time that you would have more than 5 games on the card anyway.

I think you make some very valid points, and at the end of the day it comes down to personal decision. My only concern is how future-proof Sky3DS is. It could turn out that Nintendo has no way to block the card at all, or it could be blocked in the next update at 9.4 with no support for future firmwares. I very much understand how people are feeling now, the Sky3DS is already out and can play games on every firmware and any system, Gateway still hasn't released their update and requires 9.0-2 firmware for now.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice! Patching the ROMs to save on the SD card that is a neat workaround. Couldn't something like this also be done to solve the region problem?

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My only concern is how future-proof Sky3DS is.
How future proof is the Gateway? It does not support sysnan or emunan on 9.3. Basically it is less future proof (at the moment) then the Sky3DS.

And like Sky3DS we have no guarantee that Gateway will work with 9.4 or higher firmware’s. So with both (and all other cards) it is always a gamble.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Very good points, although the number of games depends on the type of gamer you are. Back in the AceKard days my boys had some 120 games or so. It didn't matter what group of kids they met up with they could always find lots common games to do multiplayer. That was cool. Was rare some kid could one up mine. :) I doubt there isn't any child out there that hasn't lost a game cart or two hauling their stash around the neighborhood.

I am sure there were kids that drove their parents nuts. "Dad, I want an AceKard! Timmy has like over a hundred games on his DS, LIKE ALL OF THEM!", "Sure he does, whatever." , "But Dad!" Makes me giggle.

Now they have our retired iPhones the only time they are going to use "homebrew" on the 3DS is if the battery on the phone died and it has YouTube now anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?