Hacking Sky3DS released a new card - no limit for games.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Damn, was waiting for the Gateway to support 9.2 but since Sky3DS even supports 9.3 it will be hard making a good choice.

Just keep in mind that they operate in very different ways. Gateway uses an exploit and can launch its own code: it provides a handy menu to select a rom.
sky3ds imitates a real card. You have to cycle through roms one by one, by pressing a hardware button on the sky3ds itself. To the 3ds, this looks like you're switching retail cards. Now with the 10 games limit broken, it could take a while to reach the game you want to play

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the real dealbreaker is whether or not Gateway's 9.x support features emuNAND. They still haven't confirmed it yet. If it does work, then it'll have the advantage when Sky3DS is eventually blocked by an update, and GW can keep functioning up-to-date through emuNAND.

Reactions: cvskid

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't they claim the 10 game maximum is a hardware limitation?

Idk. The community has generated a huge amount of speculation, most of which spreads because people are personally offended by this brand and are out to get their revenge. Combine that with poor english skills from the Sky team and nobody really knows the reason for anything. I've never seen anything official about the reason for the limit.

Now with the 10 games limit broken, it could take a while to reach the game you want to play

Wait, so removing the limit is now somehow a bad thing? :rofl2:

Aman27deep

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
India
Just keep in mind that they operate in very different ways. Gateway uses an exploit and can launch its own code: it provides a handy menu to select a rom.
sky3ds imitates a real card. You have to cycle through roms one by one, by pressing a hardware button on the sky3ds itself. To the 3ds, this looks like you're switching retail cards. Now with the 10 games limit broken, it could take a while to reach the game you want to play

You don't have to load a hundred ROMs together, you know. Previously there was a ten game limit. You couldn't load more than that even if you wanted to. Now you can really load five games multiple times and different games when you want.

Having 100 games together isn't necessary.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Damn, was waiting for the Gateway to support 9.2 but since Sky3DS even supports 9.3 it will be hard making a good choice.

You have to take into consideration of long term support and Gateway are the only ones doing that. Are they gonna piss all over customers each time they get owned by other flashcard producers when it comes to new features they don't have? Think about it, as they might release another card for 9.4 or something and leave the rest in the dark. C'mon looking at that lousy link they posted with a app that has more broken English than a Chip Shop on a Saturday night is to go by, that is a real turn off instantly:P

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to take into consideration of long term support and Gateway are the only ones doing that.

I was actually just thinking about that. If nintendo could block Sky3ds they would have with 9.30. But they didn't. Which implies that they probably can't do a damn thing about it. So if the Sky3ds has no limit, and (in theory) can work on every future firmware, what support is needed? Its future proof.

And Sky3ds released a tool to "fix" the red button cards. That doesn't count as support? Long term support is currently unmeasurable since Sky3ds has been on the market about a month now (i can't remember when it launched).

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did not release the tool. Someone obviously a bit brighter than them made it. They simply posted a link, to download someone elses tool, and then told their customers that it exists.

Redsmeg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Using the crack method for original sky3DS I cannot get Bravely Default or Donkey Kong Country returns to work.
Perhaps a bug in 4gb size games? Everything other rom I did with the crack tool works.. even though the tool says replace FA with F8 it is not always the case sometimes in the template it is an FE or already an F8 I change both to f8 and 98 regardless and they all work (apart from Bravely default and DK of course)

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was actually just thinking about that. If nintendo could block Sky3ds they would have with 9.30. But they didn't. Which implies that they probably can't do a damn thing about it. So if the Sky3ds has no limit, and (in theory) can work on every future firmware, what support is needed? Its future proof.

And Sky3ds released a tool to "fix" the red button cards. That doesn't count as support? Long term support is currently unmeasurable since Sky3ds has been on the market about a month now (i can't remember when it launched).

They could always just throw another encryption update at it like they did with 7.0.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus

Your nothing thinking rationally. The 10 game limit was there from the start, which they could not have put there in the first place, but due to being greedy bastards, they opted to leave it so more fools who purchased it would buy more cards. Remember Tru-Blue, Cobra USB on the PS3. Same bullshit DRM to get people to buy dongles when it could have been done for free from the start on CFW. Look where we are now with PS3 CFW.

Back on topic:-

Since Gateway announced their 9.2 support, they now removed their 10 game limit (timing seem anything to you) The removal tool was done by a third party and not their own and now they announce a new card without this imposed restriction. Would you actually want to buy something and then a month later they announce a new card. It's not rocket science man.

It does not mean anything with N not blocking it in 9.3, they may do it in 9.4....10.x, who knows. It's not a exploit like GW's kernal exploit, it's emulation. If you want to throw money at SKY then do so, it's your choice and each to their own. But don't get upset if you do and they drop everyone like a sack of shit one day.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is so butthurt. Is it so obscene to think that maybe Sky didn't know how to resolve the issue with multiple save files? Have fun being angry on the internet. In the mean time, Sky has one of the only carts presently working on the New 3DS and even supports the latest 3DS firmware. Pretty good for a company that doesn't know anything.

Reactions: SLiV3R

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Everyone is so butthurt. Is it so obscene to think that maybe Sky didn't know how to resolve the issue with multiple save files? Have fun being angry on the internet. In the mean time, Sky has one of the only carts presently working on the New 3DS and even supports the latest 3DS firmware. Pretty good for a company that doesn't know anything.

Who is angry?. I'm not, I feel great and having a laugh, I think a majority on here are delusional or thick as two short planks. Plus, truth hurts too :lol:

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lack of region-free is really the barrier for me. I already have a copy of Cubic Ninja, so I can live without homebrew support. I NEED region-free games though. The only reason I want a 3DS flash cart is Monster Hunter 4 and Final Fantasy Explorers.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not their target audience as I have a 4.5 3DS but as some people didn't wanted to use gateway anymore with the few bricks that happened, I wouldn't either buy something from a company that tried to first limit the usage of it's product to make more money, and then, removed the limits because they know another company will release a product without any limits.

Not to mention Gateway will provide region-free function, homebrew compatibility (cia support, which also able to install games update so eshop isn't required anymore and so you can stay on 9.2 without any problems) and that Sky3DS costs twice as Gateway (at least, the first version but I would be surprised if the second version is cheaper).

The only real interest I can see for Sky3DS is for people that are stuck on 9.3 because they updated (or people who want to play 3DS roms without having to wait until the gateway new exploit release).

People that forgot to update/have new 3DS should have a problem, as gateway team just said :

"For users that did not update yet in this range, do not worry. We will add support for a firmware range lower than 9.0 which can be installed using a gamecard update."

So I suppose it'll also support 8.x, that a few games have on their cart (Smash Bros, for example) and which is the base version of the New 3DS firmware.

And for people who wanted to use the new gateway exploit but updated to 9.3, what can we say? You can't update accidentally, you have to answer "yes" to update so you took the decision to update (3DS don't update itself without asking first), not our fault. Either sell the actual 3DS and buy a new one or stick with Sky3DS...

Reactions: VerseHell

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd sooner trust a company that is inept by now knowing how to makes saves work (sky) than a company that intentionally bricks their customer's hardware (gateway).

How quickly we forget that GW was eager to screw users. Now everyone treats them like canonized saints, harbingers of freedom, warriors of superb service. Until they change their mind and start bricking again.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd sooner trust a company that is inept by now knowing how to makes saves work (sky) than a company that intentionally bricks their customer's hardware (gateway).

How quickly we forget that GW was eager to screw users. Now everyone treats them like canonized saints, harbingers of freedom, warriors of superb service. Until they change their mind and start bricking again.

You seem fine trusting Nintendo though. They've done the bricking in the past (003 on Korean Wiis). That is also forgotten quickly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol