Hardware SFANS has changed their backers design into a dock without asking!

• Thread starter Deleted-355425
  • Start date
  • Views 15,790
  • Replies 171

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one thing I'll say in response to the video is that he never compared the temperature to when the switch was upright. He notes that the Switch doesn't reach anywhere near it's maximum temperature when lying face down, but he never actually took measurements to when it was upright to compare. The point I was trying to make wasn't thst the switch would overheat at any individual time, but that the temperature would be higher when lying face down vs when upright, and that this will cause damage over prolonged periods. I was hopen to be proven wrong by the video, but I wasn't (but I wasn't proven right either).

As it stands, I'll stick to my argument but I understand if you think I'm crazy or something. I don't actually know a lot about physical hardware, but I do think the point stands
i set mine face down so the vents on the back are completely uncovered. that seems like it would keep the switch cooler than even the official dock

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i set mine face down so the vents on the back are completely uncovered. that seems like it would keep the switch cooler than even the official dock
The problem with that (supposedly) is that heat can't rise correctly, which it's normally supposed to do through the air vents on the top.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That's not how this works...
Eh? I'd assume keeping the Switch screen down (screen protector pls) when plugged into a dongle would be more beneficial in the long term than on its back. However, given recent videos and "studies" on the Switchs cooling? I don't know.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Eh? I'd assume keeping the Switch screen down (screen protector pls) when plugged into a dongle would be more beneficial in the long term than on its back. However, given recent videos and "studies" on the Switchs cooling? I don't know.

Devices are made with output to the UPPER side of the switch. That is to support the natural flow of heat. Warmth goes up, and cold comes down. If you switch them around you are not really having efficient cooling.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Devices are made with output to the UPPER side of the switch. That is to support the natural flow of heat. Warmth goes up, and cold comes down. If you switch them around you are not really having efficient cooling.

Yeah, you've got the one exhaust on top. What does that make the vents on the back though? Intakes? Oo

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you've got the one exhaust on top. What does that make the vents on the back though? Intakes? Oo
Those vents in the back aren't designed to let heat rise, and they're definitely not as efficient in that as the top vents.

They don't leat heat escape well without a doubt. The only question we still have is whether that will be a problem over time.

D

Deleted-355425

Aparently so but i highly doubt by blocking those you will cause any issues, everyone keeps screaming that heat wont damage the thing because it will shut down before it gets critical.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Aparently so but i highly doubt by blocking those you will cause any issues, everyone keeps screaming that heat wont damage the thing because it will shut down before it gets critical.
Would that not be good in the long term.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i tried to argue this myself but gave up.

I mean, it's one thing for it to happen once in a blue moon.. But if it happens so often you run a risk of long term damage. It's not exactly a secret. I mean laying the Switch on the back hasn't proven to be detrimental to the system as of yet. So we'll see.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y