Dock USB ports don't deliver 5V

Lucaorom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, I've noticed a decline in the voltage delivered by the USB ports on my Switch dock. When measured with the switch turned on and connected to the dock, the voltage registers at only 2.65V instead of the expected 5V, rendering the USB ports unable to power connected devices.

The problem seems to have started a few months ago when my 8-bit adapter began turning off without any apparent reason. Initially, I thought it was an issue with the adapter itself, but upon trying a new one, I realized the problem persists. Both the new and old adapters work perfectly on my PC and other consoles (even another switch), confirming that the issue lies with my Switch dock.

Interestingly, I've found that power cycling the dock (turning the console off and then connecting the power cord with the switch off) temporarily resolves the issue if I am lucky (working around one in ten times) and the voltage returns to 5V, but within one to four hours, the problem reoccurs, and the voltage drops back to 2.65V.

Aside from this USB voltage issue, the dock appears to be functioning properly. It charges the console normally and displays images on the television without any problems.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or have suggestions on how I can go about fixing this issue?

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello, I've noticed a decline in the voltage delivered by the USB ports on my Switch dock. When measured with the switch turned on and connected to the dock, the voltage registers at only 2.65V instead of the expected 5V, rendering the USB ports unable to power connected devices.

The problem seems to have started a few months ago when my 8-bit adapter began turning off without any apparent reason. Initially, I thought it was an issue with the adapter itself, but upon trying a new one, I realized the problem persists. Both the new and old adapters work perfectly on my PC and other consoles (even another switch), confirming that the issue lies with my Switch dock.

Interestingly, I've found that power cycling the dock (turning the console off and then connecting the power cord with the switch off) temporarily resolves the issue if I am lucky (working around one in ten times) and the voltage returns to 5V, but within one to four hours, the problem reoccurs, and the voltage drops back to 2.65V.

Aside from this USB voltage issue, the dock appears to be functioning properly. It charges the console normally and displays images on the television without any problems.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or have suggestions on how I can go about fixing this issue?
huh idk how to fix it but maybe you can buy some active hub for it i mean the one that has a power adapter as an alternative solutions : /

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

The 5V comes from the power adapter, are you sure it's not a faulty power adapter?

Reactions: Lamcza

Lucaorom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
huh idk how to fix it but maybe you can buy some active hub for it i mean the one that has a power adapter as an alternative solutions : /
Thanks for the suggestion. I managed to get things working by using an active hub. It might not explain the initial problem, but at least I can now use peripherals with the Switch again.
The 5V comes from the power adapter, are you sure it's not a faulty power adapter?
I measured a consistent 15V from the adapter to the dock. This value aligns with one of the nominal outputs specified for the AC adapter, leading me to believe that the adapter is functioning correctly. In my understanding, the Switch dock is supposed to receive 15V/2.5A, which is intended for charging the console and is stepped down to power the connected USB devices.

Despite this, I see that 5V/1.5A is another output of the adapter. I thought that this was an adaptive thing, that the adapter delivered 5V or 15V based on some power delivery protocol. From what you are saying, I understand that the adapter delivers both 5V and 15V simultaneously, is this correct? If this is the case I may have a faulty AC adapter.

Reactions: Lamcza

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Probably the issue is that the 8bitdo adapter draw more watt than what the usb port can supply.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Despite this, I see that 5V/1.5A is another output of the adapter. I thought that this was an adaptive thing, that the adapter delivered 5V or 15V based on some power delivery protocol. From what you are saying, I understand that the adapter delivers both 5V and 15V simultaneously, is this correct? If this is the case I may have a faulty AC adapter.
I thought so, but looking at the USB-C spec it seems I was wrong, all 4 power pins provide the same voltage, even in USB-PD mode. I must've just been confused by the fact that it provides plain USB 2 (for the dock's USB ports) and USB 3/Video out at the same time, also assuming the USB 2 connection had separate power from the USB 3 connection.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably the issue is that the 8bitdo adapter draw more watt than what the usb port can supply.
I doubt it since the max current I was able to draw from one usb port before the voltage became unstable was about 1.2A at 6W, so unless the 8bitdo adapter draws more than 6W which I doubt its something wrong with the dock. I doubt it'd be the actual power brick since to my knowledge usb-pd provides whatever voltage you ask for on all lanes, the 5v 1.5A profile is there as a fallback for any device you plug into it that doesn't support 15v

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it since the max current I was able to draw from one usb port before the voltage became unstable was about 1.2A at 6W, so unless the 8bitdo adapter draws more than 6W which I doubt its something wrong with the dock. I doubt it'd be the actual power brick since to my knowledge usb-pd provides whatever voltage you ask for on all lanes, the 5v 1.5A profile is there as a fallback for any device you plug into it that doesn't support 15v

I tried 8bitdo for PS1 and Memory card pro, and they don't work together, even though I can get it to work with brook wingman. So it kinda depends on how much amp the port can offer and how much amp the device would need, it would disconnect if it need more than what is being supplied.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol