Official switch dock not working in HOS after using 3rd party dongle

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else run into anything like this?

I was packing up for a trip and decided to see if I could leave the bulky dock at home and just use a USB-C dongle with HDMI out. It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charging-Ethernet-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B07TVSLDND/

I am aware that a few years back there was a big stink about 3rd party docks bricking switches but I decided to be brave (stupid?). While I was happy that this dongle did output HDMI to the TV, when I went to connect the switch back to the official dock it did not output to the TV anymore...

A different switch worked on all 3 docks I have to test with so I'm ruling out the dock having a problem.

The strangest part to me is when booting into Android the official dock does work?!?! Seems only in HOS it doesn't output an image. The HDMI-CEC changes the channel on the TV but the TV displays NO SIGNAL.

I was using the official power adapter with the dongle. The USB-C dongle continues to work in horizon. I tried updating Atmosphere and hos, but this didn't change the issue. The unit is not fully bricked it is still working under certain circumstances like handheld mode and when android is running the official dock does work as well as the 3rd party dongle does output an image. It is a homebrewed launch day V1 switch, and I've previously had no problems with it at all. I have tried messing with the TV settings in HOS. I blew out the USB-C port on the switch with an air compressor. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Should I try to force the docked mode or something? Is there any other related homebrew for dock mode? I could try to factory reset but I'm guessing I'd lose all my games on my SD card?

Just wondering if anyone else had run into this issue or if anyone has any other suggestions, thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: k7ra

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Nope, used few docks from ali before.
All works fine, but not so good as I wanted.
Some not fit\worked with back case, some not hold switch good and this can damage C-port.
So, I got this and this.

Reactions: Tomobobo

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I was packing up for a trip and decided to see if I could leave the bulky dock at home and just use a USB-C dongle with HDMI out. It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charging-Ethernet-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B07TVSLDND/

I am aware that a few years back there was a big stink about 3rd party docks bricking switches but I decided to be brave (stupid?). While I was happy that this dongle did output HDMI to the TV, when I went to connect the switch back to the official dock it did not output to the TV anymore...

A different switch worked on all 3 docks I have to test with so I'm ruling out the dock having a problem.

The strangest part to me is when booting into Android the official dock does work?!?! Seems only in HOS it doesn't output an image. The HDMI-CEC changes the channel on the TV but the TV displays NO SIGNAL.

I was using the official power adapter with the dongle. The USB-C dongle continues to work in horizon. I tried updating Atmosphere and hos, but this didn't change the issue. The unit is not fully bricked it is still working under certain circumstances like handheld mode and when android is running the official dock does work as well as the 3rd party dongle does output an image. It is a homebrewed launch day V1 switch, and I've previously had no problems with it at all. I have tried messing with the TV settings in HOS. I blew out the USB-C port on the switch with an air compressor. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Should I try to force the docked mode or something? Is there any other related homebrew for dock mode? I could try to factory reset but I'm guessing I'd lose all my games on my SD card?

Just wondering if anyone else had run into this issue or if anyone has any other suggestions, thanks.

You should just get a replacement shell to make your dock smaller.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sounded like you have damaged the connector, this can happen with regular wear and tear but perhaps this third party device you plug into your switch is the straw that broke the camel‘s back?

Occasionally when I dock my switch there is no display and redoing the docking fix it, I think that is due to wear and tear of the connector.

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH, I went out of my way to get the Original Dock all because I heard rumors of 3rd party ones could be wired wrong or something, never wanted to risk killing my system.

Also have you tried updating the dock from the Switch Settings, tho it worked with other switches... and I doubt that would do anything...

But also maybe check what the HDMI output settings are set to in the Settings, maybe it's out of range of the current Tv/monitor or something??

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch needs to be more faithful to their partners, one switch one dock please, or you get punished like this. ( If mechanical damage isn't satisfying try this explanation )

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after dealing with it for a long time I tried to do a system initialization to no avail. The problem still doesn't make any sense to me as the switch seems to work fine even in the official dock but just not in horizon.
I wish I could dig into the system files or something, I'm not sure where I'd dig but if someone smarter than me knew where the settings were stored for the dock it'd be nice to hear from ya.

Last edited by Tomobobo,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after dealing with it for a long time I tried to do a system initialization to no avail. The problem still doesn't make any sense to me as the switch seems to work fine even in the official dock but just not in horizon.
I wish I could dig into the system files or something, I'm not sure where I'd dig but if someone smarter than me knew where the settings were stored for the dock it'd be nice to hear from ya.

Your problem was that you used a third party dock/dongle.

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your problem was that you used a third party dock/dongle.
While I'm fully aware that there were warnings and I did not heed the warnings, the evidence of the operation of the device seems to point to some kind of software issue preventing only horizon from working. For that reason I'm looking for some advice or information regarding the parts of the horizon software that are related to the dock in hopes I can undo whatever I did. It's easy to take the blame for the issue.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm fully aware that there were warnings and I did not heed the warnings, the evidence of the operation of the device seems to point to some kind of software issue preventing only horizon from working. For that reason I'm looking for some advice or information regarding the parts of the horizon software that are related to the dock in hopes I can undo whatever I did. It's easy to take the blame for the issue.

This explain some stuffs

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that video there was 0 technical information. As far as I'm aware, the issues people had with 3rd party docks wasn't with the official dock no longer working but with the switch dying completely, which isn't my issue. That's why I'm trying to see if anyone else has had my specific problem.

Yachtmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
do you have the chance to check your original dock with another Nintendo power supply? I was playing a lot with this gear and the dock is checking if an original power supply is plugged in - if this check fails, you'll not get a hdmi video out signal.

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my rudimentary tests I think I'm going to chalk this up to one side of the usb c port being bad in my switch console, and it just so happens to be the side the official dock gets the video information from or something. The official dock worked 1/100 tries in horizon. The 3rd party dongle only works only in one of the two possible directions. Could the dongle have busted the connection on one side of the usb-c port? Was it already damaged before I used the dongle? I don't think I will ever know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.