Dock power

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have read many search results about dock power and haven't been able to answer my question so i surrender and im asking you guys ha ha.

I see PD power supplies mentioned a lot and i know the dock needs 15v 2.6A but does a PSU actually need to be PD compliant?

I have a genuine dock on its way but without a PSU but i have a spare Wii U power supply that outputs 15v and 5A so it would comfortably power the switch in the dock, its a 10 min job to chop off the Wii U power connector and solder a USB C in its place.

Is there some stupid logic going on in the dock that makes it refuse to work if it does not see a PD PSU or will giving it the power requirements it needs suffice?

Thanks, Steve.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can do it if you want, just to let you know the dock doesn't use standard usb power delievery, only the official charger supply what the dock want.

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
man it is your choice, you want to spend 20 pounds or 300 pounds paperweight.
Like i said, is there someone else who will give a straight answer.

Its a simple enough question, will it work or wont it but not, you wont give a straight answer and come across like your just trolling

If the dock wants 15v and you give it 15v then i dont see why it could damage anything, its nothing more than a input with voltage and current requirements.
The point of the question is whether the dock just refuses to work if it fails to see the PD data signal.

ill wait for someone who will actually answer my question.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
That does not answer my question.
For me, I do use a 65Watts USB-C Power Adapter, cost 15 USD on amazon, I can use for my phone, laptop and the switch and works fine, using a USB tester shows me the Switch dawning 15 V 2.5 Amp.

About the Wii U power bank, CAN NOT BE used to charge the switch, unless you make an adapter which simulate a USB PD protocol because if you feed 15 volts at the first connection attemp the USB Chip inside Switch will be fryed . is mandatory to first connect 5 volts and negotiate the voltage and current, then the circuitry redirects the input to the correct voltage handle.

you really do not need a original power bank but you need a PD protocol compatible one. any greater to 40 Watt will do the trick, they are cheaper now. This is mine:

1644519741680.png

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like i said, is there someone else who will give a straight answer.

Its a simple enough question, will it work or wont it but not, you wont give a straight answer and come across like your just trolling

If the dock wants 15v and you give it 15v then i dont see why it could damage anything, its nothing more than a input with voltage and current requirements.
The point of the question is whether the dock just refuses to work if it fails to see the PD data signal.

ill wait for someone who will actually answer my question.

Because the wii u power supply ain't usb-c pd standard, you slapping a usb-c port ain't going to solve your problem. You can charge it fine with a usb-c pd charger when not docked.

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For me, I do use a 65Watts USB-C Power Adapter, cost 15 USD on amazon, I can use for my phone, laptop and the switch and works fine, using a USB tester shows me the Switch dawning 15 V 2.5 Amp.

About the Wii U power bank, CAN NOT BE used to charge the switch, unless you make an adapter which simulate a USB PD protocol because if you feed 15 volts at the first connection attemp the USB Chip inside Switch will be fryed . is mandatory to first connect 5 volts and negotiate the voltage and current, then the circuitry redirects the input to the correct voltage handle.

you really do not need a original power bank but you need a PD protocol compatible one. any greater to 40 Watt will do the trick, they are cheaper now. This is mine:

View attachment 297604
Thankyou, a straight answer with an explanation!

Kinda gutted though, i hoped that as i only wanted it to power the dock it would be fine as off the dock ill just continue to charge with the non PD 5v phone chargers i have, i have 1.5A and 2A chargers that charge it up fine while playing.

i bought the switch used and the charger and cable i got with it were hilarious, a 1A iphone charger and a 2m long cable that screamed junk, the battery was depleting when plugged in while playing on that cable even though it had a 2A supply behind it so i measured the current and the cable wouldn't pass more than 800ma, plugged it in with one of my own decent quality cables (still 2m) and straight away it was pulling 1.6A lol

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't have to be insulting about it. @Hayato213 tried to help you. I was going to throw my two cents in that I'm aware that the switch doesn't seem to be standard, so I always recharge the console and controllers with an official usb-c adapter from Nintendo. other stuff, like the ps5 controller, now use the charging cradle, but before that, I'd use a micro usb to usb c adapter. those work fine. I even use it with my phone and no issues. I have like 8 of them too. I wouldn't want to try them with the switch or switch accessories, because I don't know how they'd react. btw, all switch consoles and accessories, including the oled, use the same charging cable rated at the same, so there's no need to worry there either.

Reactions: Hayato213

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, those micro usb are ps4 controller charging cables. they're like 10 feet too, but they work with both ps4 and ps5 controllers. the bad thing about the ps5 charging cradle is that it won't charge unless the controllers are really low in power.

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you don't have to be insulting about it. @Hayato213 tried to help you. I was going to throw my two cents in that I'm aware that the switch doesn't seem to be standard, so I always recharge the console and controllers with an official usb-c adapter from Nintendo. other stuff, like the ps5 controller, now use the charging cradle, but before that, I'd use a micro usb to usb c adapter. those work fine. I even use it with my phone and no issues. I have like 8 of them too. I wouldn't want to try them with the switch or switch accessories, because I don't know how they'd react. btw, all switch consoles and accessories, including the oled, use the same charging cable rated at the same, so there's no need to worry there either.
Charging the switch off the dock with my phone/tablet chargers is fine, they are 5v only and OEM chargers of decent quality, one being Sony and the other Tesco.

Whatever i power the dock with will stay in the dock, im not messing about unplugging it to use on the switch off the dock and im not buying two of them.

Help would have been for him to give a straight out NO it will not work and must not be tried and even a reason why, do you see that anywhere?

Just vague comments and a just buy a genuine charger comment, if you were asking that question and got those reply's, would you feel you had an answer, honestly?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Charging the switch off the dock with my phone/tablet chargers is fine, they are 5v only and OEM chargers of decent quality, one being Sony and the other Tesco.

Whatever i power the dock with will stay in the dock, im not messing about unplugging it to use on the switch off the dock and im not buying two of them.

Help would have been for him to give a straight out NO it will not work and must not be tried and even a reason why, do you see that anywhere?

Just vague comments and a just buy a genuine charger comment, if you were asking that question and got those reply's, would you feel you had an answer, honestly?

Sure go ahead solder an usb-c port to your wii u power adapter lol :rofl2: you know you would need a usb-c pd charger atleast, you said you did so much search result, so what kind of stupid question is that when you want to add a usb-c port to a non usb-c pd standard power supply.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated