Hardware Switch doesn’t display video when docked

Calvin0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, this is my first post here!

My cousin brought me his v2 switch last week that does not display video when docked. Everything else on the switch works perfectly fine, and the green led on the dock is solid.

We tested my switch in his dock when he brought it over, and it worked fine. At this point we’re thinking the port on his switch got damaged somehow and that’s why it’s not displaying video.

I told him I would look into it and sold him an unpatched V1 I had. The V1 worked perfectly, I only stopped using it recently when I bought an oled.

When he took the V1 home and docked it, it immediately had the same issue as the v2. No more video when docked, we checked on multiple docks. It 100% worked before he took it home. So down the rabbit hole we go. (All docks and AC adapters used in this series of events were OEM. hdmi cables were not OEM)

I took apart the v2 switch and tested all the usual suspects. P13usb chokes and caps, the other main chip caps. Continuity in the chokes, but no shorts from side to side, and no shorts in the caps. Caps at the cpu looked good too.

Then I tested the charge port pins in diode mode and found that I have an open loop on this pin where I shouldn’t. If I read Tronics Fix's schematic correctly, that pin is related to usb power delivery communication. What does this mean, and what chip is the offender? Is there anything I’m missing?

Also, what could possibly be happening at my cousins house to cause this to happen? We checked the outlets and they’re right at 110-120 V. I bought an inline usbc meter and tested multiple configurations of the offending dock/ax adapter/switch and working dock/ac adapter/ switch. I got pretty similar results from both, but at his house the voltage was slightly lower. 14.9V vs 15.2 at my house.

I’m f’ing stumped man. I’m new to switch diagnosing so any help or insight is appreciated. We’re going to send the switches off for repair regardless, but we need to sort out how this even happened in the first place…

Attachments

• IMG_6892.jpeg
    IMG_6892.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 60

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
That pin goes to PI3USB SBU1(purple line in the pic) choke filter, You are likely having a blow choke filter.
Often time this happen when the port pins inside twisted and VBUS jam to the next pin and send overvoltage into the data line therefore the filter blow(or something worse)

Attachments

• PORT WAY.jpg
    PORT WAY.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 63

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/7EqY4iZP4iI?si=SnXrNV8JyKnbrp9j