Hardware Misc SD Card Errors

Mattia2309

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I'm new to gbatemp. I have a problem. Every time I put the sd card in my second-hand o2ds I get one of these two error messages: "Write-protection is enabled on the SD Card. The software on the SD Card cannot be displayed."

IMG_20220616_152140.jpgor "Cannot display the software on the SD Card. The SD Card could not be accessed.".IMG_20220616_152125.jpg Also, when i take out the battery and put it in again, it shows me the luma3ds "recovery mode(?)", implying it's modded and has a CFW.

IMG_20220616_152250.jpg I've already tried putting tape on the "lock" switch of the sd card, I've cleaned the SD Card and SD Card Slot, I've formatted the 2ds, the SD Card in FAT32 and I've tried to straighten the pins in the SD Card Slot, but none of these worked. If you think one of these is REALLY the solutions, could you attach a well-recorded video, some images or a detailed explanation on how to do it? Since i think i didn't do any of these right. I've tried with 4 SD Card Adapters, 1 Original SD Card that came with the 2DS and 2 Micro-SD Cards and it still showed the two messages. Since these all work on my phone, my other 2DS, my switch, my PC, my Wii and my DSi, I really think that the problem is the slot. I can open the 2DS but I can't exchange the slot for now. Any help will be appreciated. Thank You.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try with a different sd card adapter. Sometimes when they turn faulty, it'll still act as if it's in the locked position, even if it's not.
I've tried with 4 SD Card Adapters, 1 Original SD Card that came with the 2DS and 2 Micro-SD Cards and it still showed the two messages.
Edit : ignore my comment above, you've done that already..

Last edited by CoolMe,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you tell us what/where to short two points to get rid of permanent write protect?
I will think two contacts to the pin that register if writeprotection of the SDCard(-Adapter) is enabled or not. But for sure something that has to do with it.

EDIT:
Like mentioned in this thread, there must be two contacts of the writeprotection near to the pin. This must be soldered or bridged.
For testing purpose, i would bridge them first.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/broken-sd-card-slot-in-old-2ds.480780/post-7512715

Temporary maybe a few layers (2 or 3) of tape over the switchhole of the sdcard could work, to press the pin inside the reader against the contact. But not to much to kill the slot entirely.

Last edited by Sypherone,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Try to push the SD card all the way in until the end (beyond the point it clicks) and apply a bit of force. This can help fix the detection for the write protection slider temporarily.

Mattia2309

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i did it with all my force but it still gives me the error. Heck, now a new problem started: whenever i turn on the 2ds while the sd card is already on, the blue light turns on and stays like that forever but the screen stays black.
Try to push the SD card all the way in until the end (beyond the point it clicks) and apply a bit of force. This can help fix the detection for the write protection slider temporarily.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I checked pics of the motherboard. But on the pics alone, there is nothing to see to say wich contacts must bridged.

Attachments

• th-3600895087.jpg
    th-3600895087.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshots_2022-06-16-17-51-29.png
    Screenshots_2022-06-16-17-51-29.png
    857 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshots_2022-06-16-17-52-25.png
    Screenshots_2022-06-16-17-52-25.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 49

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Reactions: Sypherone

Mattia2309

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I will think two contacts to the pin that register if writeprotection of the SDCard(-Adapter) is enabled or not. But for sure something that has to do with it.

EDIT:
Like mentioned in this thread, there must be two contacts of the writeprotection near to the pin. This must be soldered or bridged.
For testing purpose, i would bridge them first.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/broken-sd-card-slot-in-old-2ds.480780/post-7512715

Temporary maybe a few layers (2 or 3) of tape over the switchhole of the sdcard could work, to press the pin inside the reader against the contact. But not to much to kill the slot entirely.
Could you send me a video or some photos on how to put the tape correctly? Since i just put some layers of tape, put it in the console and it just spams me "SD Card was removed"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...