Hacking Official SaltFW - "Slim Alternative Firmware"

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The reason behind I renamed it is, I'll be re-using ShadowFW for my next firmware (expect to see it soon, it'll be built on SaltFW), and I just feel the name "SaltFW" represents both its feature set, and some members of the scene far better than "ShadowFW".

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The reason behind I renamed it is, I'll be re-using ShadowFW for my next firmware (expect to see it soon, it'll be built on SaltFW), and I just feel the name "SaltFW" represents both its feature set, and some members of the scene far better than "ShadowFW".

So even more CFW spam? OK, I guess we have to agree to disagree...

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You must've known there was already a team called SALT working on very interesting things privately right? The new title will only make people think they've released something and cause more needless flaming and spam. Just a fair warning to you.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You must've known there was already a team called SALT working on very interesting things privately right? The new title will only make people think they've released something and cause more needless flaming and spam. Just a fair warning to you.
Too late. They should have released first. I did my work publicly, and I'm trying to advance the scene. As far as I know, SALT team does things in private and that's no way to advance the hacking scene if you keep the source closed.

icecream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Nothing is better than confusion and flaming. Someone must be SALTy.

44100hz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see why this CFW was made, but not why it's worthy of its own thread. I don't think it's harmful as much as confusing, especially with people here getting all riled up over a tiny pet project.

IMO a more useful thing to do would be to put configuration into AuReiNAND to allow features to be compiled out.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
oh chill out gys if nobody wants the cfw let it get buried, seriously if nobody was moaning about it it would probably be on page 3 by now, its there is someone wants it, but moaning and bumping only serves to highlight it more which leads to the actual issues everyone is moaning about i.e people seeing it and swapping over to it, lots of cfw's have came and gone generally speaking most people just go with whats popular at the time,lets see so far its been ---->"leaked cfw/palentine cfw" then pasta, then rxtools then cakes then reinand, then aureinand the truth is the popular cfw will always just be whatever cfw is being actively developed most and pretty much everything else is left by the wayside, if you dont like one....then dont help promote it :P

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It would be pretty sad if someone actually becomes upset because of the CFW you're using :/
Actually, I really do enjoy using this CFW. I was really holding out for an ARN lite and this one fills that void. The community salt is just enough touch of extra flavoring.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Having all these custom firmwares might confuse new people who are trying to get into 3ds modding.
We could just have one CFW and they would still get confused. There's no reason to stop making projects because it might confuse some newbies, who will always be confused.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
We need a thread that is extremely noob proof from how to use homebrew on your 3DS to dumping your OTP with Plailects guide to installing K9LH to picking a CFW that specifies your needs.
Noob friendly and not spoon feeding them.

Maybe that will stop noobs from being noobs.
As well as people not attacking someone with a question that might have been asked before.

Edit: or fools flaming and trolling noobs.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: