[Rumor] Nextbox games run off hard drive, optical discs not supported post install

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
not seeing the issue here... Kinect comes with the console and it's not like you're going to be required to use it...
I guess you navigate through the GUI with Kinect? Why it needs to be plugged? An normal controller method with buttons is acurate and comfortable already, Kinect not.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't mind this at all. When I sell my games, it's to GameStop because I'm lazy, and they barely give me anything back, so losing that option isn't a big deal for me.
Digital copies are nice, but having the actual thing in your hands is nice too. This is like giving you both (even if the disc is useless after you install it) and I like that. I can have a physical box and manual to stare at blankly, and still be able to play games without swapping discs. :P
I wonder how they destroy the disc though? Use rewritable discs and then overwrite them once they're installed?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess you navigate through the GUI with Kinect? Why it needs to be plugged? An normal controller method with buttons is acurate and comfortable already, Kinect not.
If Microsoft requires you to wave your goddamned hands at your TV or speak to it in order to navigate the menus, I'll buy you a PS4...

I wonder how they destroy the disc though? Use rewritable discs and then overwrite them once they're installed?
Where the hell are you reading that discs are rendered unusable in any way? Do people even read sources anymore?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's pretty cool and is sure to shrink load times.

Unless you are using a SATA 3 hybrid mechanical drive or a pure SSD, load times won't be that much faster. Consoles are inhibited with load times due to optical media these days because they don't have the processing power to render the data quick enough. Installs to a mechanical drive aren't considerably faster for loading then a disc, however SSD's and SSHD's are shitloads faster. Also, the 360 and PS3 are using very old read technology in order to keep their systems running the same discs over the course of several years. It's not like with a PC where you can just drop in a new DVD drive that runs at 32x read and install new drivers.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Always online, remember? Just make it register an unique key burned to that CD only with the server. Once registered, can never be registered again.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
When I sell my games, it's to GameStop because I'm lazy, and they barely give me anything back, so losing that option isn't a big deal for me.

You sell your games to a place that rips you off because you're lazy? I'd ask what is wrong with you but I'm not expecting a smart response...

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You sell your games to a place that rips you off because you're lazy? I'd ask what is wrong with you but I'm not expecting a smart response...
Probably convenience. I doubt anyone would sell stuff for the price Gamestop pays vs the price they ask for used games. On the other hand, people would actually need to sell (and market, post, etc) the games, which is not that convenient for most.

ps. I don't mind those used games that go for £0.01 + shipping on amazon :3

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
you guys aren't reading it fully it's not just used games it's new games as well. once you install it it's yours and can never be sold again just like steam. (if this is true)
What's the difference? Once you get to the point where you install a game, you've already opened it up and stick it in, which means it's used even if you've never pressed start at the title screen.

It makes me wonder about hard drive failures. If your hard drive gets messed up or something, will you be able to recover your games?
If this is true I assume games will be linked to an existing account. Existing services for digital game downloads (Steam, HB, and PSN are the ones I've used) don't seem to put any unreasonable limits on digital redownloads, and even Apple/iTunes has been known to reset download counts in case of verified device/computer failure/replacement.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
None of this indicates you won't be able to sell used games. If a disc has a unique ID, installing it could mean that the unique ID is checked against a database to ensure the game isn't presently installed on another console somewhere. Uninstalling could remove the unique ID from that database, meaning it's available for installation on any other console. If that's the way it works then this is a great idea with only one flaw: when your Xbox dies out of warranty you're forced to send it in and pay for a repair if you want to keep your games.

It's not too far from an idea I suggested for 3DS games recently, except Microsoft have the right online infrastructure to do it properly.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Shipping stuff takes effort, and it's expensive here too, so getting someone to buy a game at a decent price when shipping costs that much is hard.
If I had someone locally wanting to buy my games it'd be a different thing.
But since I'm not playing the games anymore anyway, anything is better than nothing. If the game is worth nothing at GameStop though, I won't sell it to them. I don't agree with their pricing, but if I have no intentions of playing the games anymore, I don't mind it as long as I have a few games to sell so it adds up to a reasonable amount.
I don't know if that was the dumb response you were expecting. I'll just say that I'm probably a lot more lazy than you think.

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a point where your HDD will be full... what you gonna do then? erase your existing games meaning you will lose them as your optical disc is a one shot install disc. A console that needs an always on internet connection wtf.... my wii and ps3 are not connected to internet...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password