[Rumor] Nextbox games run off hard drive, optical discs not supported post install

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
South Park beat them to it.

AAFsRyC.jpg
what they gonna call that the emerald city box?

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I heard that all the Nextbox consoles would be able to lay eggs, providing the lucky owners with a nourishing breakfast every morning. Providing it was left plugged into the toaster. Or something.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well Veho certainly derailed this topic...
at least no one is complaining about "required" internet connections or "oh noez yoozed gayms" anymore.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes me wonder about hard drive failures. If your hard drive gets messed up or something, will you be able to recover your games?
Since no actual info has leaked suggesting keys...you'll probably be fine reinstalling from your discs...

I feel like I'm watching Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity every time I enter a PS4/Nextbox thread...

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm fine with the install only stuff, but the no used games and always online... no thanks. Even though I have a pretty much stable connection and hardly ever buy used games, I just don't like the thought.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
True fact: Used games hurt the economy more than piracy
Actually used games hurt game companies, but benefit economy. They basically create revenue out of nowhere (= no added work for the value).

On the actual news: Derp (via Ars Technica). The user comment at the bottom is pretty good here. I don't see a problem with having a disc in the drive if that's all it's needed to use games with better load times. Better yet, I'm ready to load the stuff from discs to drives if I can install the stuff later on bigger drives if need be. Or if the drive fails.

Digital > Optical in terms of usability.
Optical > Digital for future insurance.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually used games hurt game companies, but benefit economy. They basically create revenue out of nowhere (= no added work for the value).

On the actual news: Derp (via Ars Technica). The user comment at the bottom is pretty good here. I don't see a problem with having a disc in the drive if that's all it's needed to use games with better load times. Better yet, I'm ready to load the stuff from discs to drives if I can install the stuff later on bigger drives if need be. Or if the drive fails.

Digital > Optical in terms of usability.
Optical > Digital for future insurance.
So basically we need both to even it out, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Made in China is back to what it was in the 80s lol +2