The Wii U seems prone to random and inconsistent, disk drive problems.

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is going to be a lengthy post, but I wanted to get a discussion going about these issues, because just doing a little bit of research in the past couple of days has really blown my mind as someone who has always thought that we was a system of pretty good quality. I have a system with custom firmware, and I don’t have that many physical games that I even play on it in the first place.

However, the other day, I wanted to show my girlfriend my completed file on breath of the wild, since I owned it on the Wii U first and finished that version 100%. It had been a few years since I played the game on my system, but I put the disc in, everything loaded up, normally, and I loaded my most recent save. I was just about to show her all the different Amiibo outfits when the game suddenly froze and I got an error code, telling me that the disc could not be read, and that it may be dirty.

I’ve never had anything like that happen on my Wii U before. I looked at the disc and it is in pretty much mint condition. fingerprints, nothing of the sort.

So, of course, I went to Google looking for answers. And Google has given me a hodgepodge of potential problems, but the one thing I’ve noticed is that they all seem to be inconsistent, and without any sure concrete answers. A disturbingly large number of people seem to have reported disc rot in their games. Opening games of that are only a few years or even a few months old and finding small pinholes in the disc that make it unplayable. People have reported this happening with older systems like the Sega Saturn, but the difference there is that the Saturn is a far older system and I don’t suppose it’s too uncommon for media that old to begin to break down over time. Although I will say, I own many PS1 games that are older than I am, and they all work flawlessly to this day. Plus, Wii U games are on Blu-ray discs, so why on earth would they be breaking down after such a short time? I’ve even seen people report opening brand new, factory-sealed games to find that the disc has already began to deteriorate.

I checked my disc and found a small pinhole near the center of it. Figuring the disc rot had got me, I started checking the couple other games I own and found that a couple of them also had small pinholes, with one of them having multiple on its center. However, when I tested my other games, they all worked perfectly, holes or no holes. At this point I’m thinking “what the hell” so I ended up taking my BOTW disc to a friend’s place that also has a Wii U.

My game WORKED on his console, no issue at all. I was wondering if my console’s disc drive was to blame, but then the other games I played on it wouldn’t work either, right? What makes it all the more confusing is that I borrowed my friend’s copy of BOTW and found that it also won’t work on my Wii U, but works on his with no issue. This specific game won’t work at all on this specific console. I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the game data that it installs to the system, but this also didn’t fix anything.

More research online had me finding people reporting similar things; certain games inexplicably refusing to work on certain Wii U consoles. This also seems to not matter if you have CFW or not. Not sure what’s going on here, but it seems like a nightmare for collectors. If you’ve had an experience like this with Wii U, talk about it here.

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the disc works on other console and not yours then the issue is your disc drive. Either the len needs cleaning or the drive is on its way out. Good luck finding a decent price Wii U len cleaner though. Wii U disc also known to rot over times, not all but some do. Also the disc is not an actual blu-ray, they cheap out and didn't want to pay for licensing fees. So Panasonic gave them a knocked off disc format.

I just skimmed through what you posted, but I get the jist of it. Anyway you can either replace the drive or go digital route only so you don't have to deal with this ever again.

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the disc works on other console and not yours then the issue is your disc drive. Either the len needs cleaning or the drive is on its way out. Good luck finding a decent price Wii U len cleaner though. Wii U disc also known to rot over times, not all but some do. Also the disc is not an actual blu-ray, they cheap out and didn't want to pay for licensing fees. So Panasonic gave them a knocked off disc format.

I just skimmed through what you posted, but I get the jist of it. Anyway you can either replace the drive or go digital route only so you don't have to deal with this ever again.
But all my other games work fine on my console; BOTW is the only one that won’t work. You’d think if the drive was to blame, other games would also have problems.

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But all my other games work fine on my console; BOTW is the only one that won’t work. You’d think if the drive was to blame, other games would also have problems.
Not necessarily, no. If the game failed to load at all, then sure, I'd expect other games to also fail to load if it was a disc drive issue, but if you can get in the menu or play a little bit before the console says the disc is unreadable, it's not surprising that it would vary from game to game.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have something similar with my sports club disc. It works on one Wii U most of the time, but not always but never on two other wii Us. So I guess the disc is on it's way out and the disc drive in the one Wii U where it works is just a little better.

My recommendation would be, you just dump all or discs on a wii u, where they work and then just install them to your wii u and never worry about discs again. This even works without a permanent mod.

One exception to this is Wii Sports Club. If it is installed, it thinks it's the free eshop version an has none of the sports enabled. Yeah and this is the only disc that failed on me, what a luck. Yes I know could pirate the DLC to activate the sports, but that requires sigpatches to launch and isn't completely legal.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same thing happened on my kids Wii U a couple of years ago but with Super Mario Maker and all other game discs worked fine with the console. This one game would not read at all on their system but worked fine on others. So I just installed a copy with WUP installer to a hard drive.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly if you're on these forums, then you've probably hacked out your Wii U. Just get yourself a digital copy of BOTW (of the same region) for free since you already paid for it physically, and install that. Your save file will be all there since it has the same title ID between the physical and digital editions.

It may not be the solution you're looking for, but it's a way around the issue that will remove any disc error related crashing with the game on your Wii U for there on out. Hell I made all my physical games digital on my Wii U just out of convenience and haven't even used the disc drive in years at this point, not that there was anything wrong with the drive to begin with. And it helps keep my physical collection in a much more pristine condition at that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto