Homebrew RIP [KTM]

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are still, AFAIK, a dozen weird cases of bricks out of ca. 25,000. Blame the user for all the other bricks.
I did say Pretty much*
There are odd cases, I know, I've been helping people since sunday. Just dealt with 3 2ds users on 10.3 who couldn't downgrade until they system formatted.

Im not blaming the user for everything... there are quirks, but in all the people I've helped I haven't had one hardbrick yet.

Last edited by Coleman_C18,

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seen a few that truly weren't user related. The program would just lock up during downgrade, and cause a brick.

I personally downgraded just fine.

Using julian20's build, a true brick shouldn't happen. Even then, from the start we knew KTM wouldn't fix anything like that. All it was going to do was remove user error from the equation. That's it.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp. Now I'm not sure what to do. I downgraded my o3DS today just fine. Should I downgrade my n3DS now? Or will I be fine with just the o3DS? Any opinions?

If you want CFW on your n3ds, then you should definitely try sooner rather than later. The potential for bricks still exists (And always will), but you're much better off prior to 10.4 being released. If you get a soft brick and 10.4 is released, you'll lose your chance to downgrade.

To be safe, if you're going to downgrade, you should format your system first. Start out with a fresh system, and you're less likely to end up with the soft bricks that people have been getting.

Reactions: ZenPowerBuilder

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Welp. Now I'm not sure what to do. I downgraded my o3DS today just fine. Should I downgrade my n3DS now? Or will I be fine with just the o3DS? Any opinions?
If you've already got an entrypoint set up, you can wait as long as you like.
It's not an incredible hazard to the N3DS, much less with the latest commits to sysUpdater. At most you might land yourself a soft brick which can easily be restored.

Reactions: ZenPowerBuilder

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, this wasn't a hard brick but still something difficult to be fixed : https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3zou30/possible_hard_brick_o3ds_103_latest_sysupdater/ . Sorry

But you haven't heard about users installing the wrong update for their model ...
Was this answer in reference to my query about losing connection with an SD between cias?
No worries, I didn't actually brick a unit this way, was just curious if losing an SD connection should be something I'm concerned with when using an unreliable reader.

Good to hear even a circumstantial issue like this shouldn't result in any permanent damage.

dyingyam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've already got an entrypoint set up, you can wait as long as you like.
It's not an incredible hazard to the N3DS, much less with the latest commits to sysUpdater. At most you might land yourself a soft brick which can easily be restored.

Though, if you softlock after 10.4 is out (Tuesday seems likely), you'll end up restoring to 10.4, which presumably patches out current entrypoints and memchunk2.

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I still haven't told my noob cousin who don't care less about homebrew but wants piracy, how to dowgrade :unsure:
You monster x3.
I mean, if its because your afriad you might brick. with everyone I've helped since sunday (about 16 ppl) I only had my first softbricks today :0.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...