Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit 2: Okay so it actually loaded this time. It was either the fact that my SD Card was in the Lock position (my gawd im dumb), or I pressed a button on the black screen. Who knows, hopefully it works, not sure if I wanna risk doing the RPX version...

I'm pretty pro at Wii hacking but all new to Wii U. I'll mainly use it for nes/sega/snes/gameboy games. I assume genesisGX core runs Sega CD games fine, how about 32x? Hows n64/ps1 compatbility, through wiisx/not64 on wii compatibility was somwhat decent)

:lol: - Yeah it wouldn't work with your sd card locked! It needs to write config files on bootup... should be okay now, actually I'm surprised it runs on 1.3, but yeah the whole 'less stable' thing about 1.4 I wouldn't worry about, so grab a compatible DS VC when you get the dosh..;)

Genplus GX does not support 32X unfortunately, we will have to wait for a Picodrive core, which may be some time, but fingers crossed! Ditto N64 and PS1: hopefully soon! Just run those through wiisx/not64 for the time being (you can always play them on vWii), or N64 VC which runs a few games via injection.

Reactions: skarmachild

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:lol: - Yeah it wouldn't work with your sd card locked! It needs to write config files on bootup... should be okay now, actually I'm surprised it runs on 1.3, but yeah the whole 'less stable' thing about 1.4 I wouldn't worry about, so grab a compatible DS VC when you get the dosh..;)

Genplus GX does not support 32X unfortunately, we will have to wait for a Picodrive core, which may be some time, but fingers crossed! Ditto N64 and PS1: hopefully soon! Just run those through wiisx/not64 for the time being (you can always play them on vWii), or N64 VC which runs a few games via injection.

Yeah, been trying to get some good n64 VC games injects (bomberman, SBK, smash bros) running through loadiine gx2 but again it just boots to a black screen for loadiine gx2. GUH :<

But okay, last Q, important: I can just replace the .elf files (e.g the Retroarch.elf and many cores.elf) with the new .RPX files and everything will run fine with the current configs/assets/files/folders etc? (:

Ampera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually suggest deleting the entire retroarch folder, and all of the retroarch stuff in the wiiu/apps folder, and replacing all of it. Save whatever configs or savegames you need, you shouldn't need to touch your roms.

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually suggest deleting the entire retroarch folder, and all of the retroarch stuff in the wiiu/apps folder, and replacing all of it. Save whatever configs or savegames you need, you shouldn't need to touch your roms.

So just did that, loaded into the 1.4 firmware, but the RetroArch just wont load. Black screen again, gunna go back to .elf and see if it just works, i reaaally dunno whats happening (the SD card ISNT on lock, made sure this time)

Ampera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, try this:

http://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=platforms

Download the Wii U RPX version from HERE and replace ALL Retroarch folders (except configs and saves if you have any) with THIS VERSION. Then, when you launch it using Homebrew Launcher 1.4, make sure to launch the bomberman core. This will just look like the regular Retroarch RPX, but it will be larger. This one for sure works for me. I just tried and the main executable crashes me too. If you can't find the bomerman core (should be the first one that just says retroarch) try launching using the Genesis core, and then switch off from there.

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, try this:

http://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=platforms

Download the Wii U RPX version from HERE and replace ALL Retroarch folders (except configs and saves if you have any) with THIS VERSION. Then, when you launch it using Homebrew Launcher 1.4, make sure to launch the bomberman core. This will just look like the regular Retroarch RPX, but it will be larger. This one for sure works for me. I just tried and the main executable crashes me too. If you can't find the bomerman core (should be the first one that just says retroarch) try launching using the Genesis core, and then switch off from there.

Switched back to .elf to see if it works and it does. I just have the "Retroarch.elf" loadable from homebrew browser, with cores stored at SD/retroarch/cores. I dont like having the homebrew browser cluttered with every core.

I will try what you suggest if anything goes wrong, gunna start testing the roms in the .elf version. Thanks {:

EDIT: BWAAAHHH, just tried to load up a Gameboy game and it kicks me back to the Homebrew Loader. Tried both Gambette and mGBA.... what is HAPPENING ;_; whyy

Can't even use the RPX version cause it just black screens before i can even get into retroarch :<

Edit 2: Okay gunna try your suggestion, weird you call it a "bomberman" core but w/e, will try retroarch.rpx then genesisplusgx.rpx

Edit 3: Tried the retroarch core, didnt work :< Just black screen too.

Edit 4: Wait do you mean the MrBoom core when you say bomberman core?

Edit 5: Okay the Genesis one worked... does this mean i can delete the retroarch folder in sd/wiiu/apps and just keep the genesis one? Aaaand i succesfully loaded a game gear game.. getting somewhere!

Last edited by skarmachild,

Ampera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this is the same boat I am in. I do mean the MrBoom core, as it is clearly bomberman. It really doesn't matter what core you load. I wouldn't get rid of the main retroarch thing, but you can try it, worst case you just need to replace it. The reason we are saying to use the RPX versions is because they all work. Homebrew Launcher can't load .elf files over (I think it was ~6-7MB in size?) while it can do RPX files up to I think around 60MB. Too lazy to look it up.

All of that stuff "Should" work. It's odd that the main retroarch launcher just doesn't work, not only for me but other people, but it's a bit less bad considering RetroArch has been ported to almost every home computer, console, and a few home appliances and breeds of dog.

Reactions: skarmachild

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this is the same boat I am in. I do mean the MrBoom core, as it is clearly bomberman. It really doesn't matter what core you load. I wouldn't get rid of the main retroarch thing, but you can try it, worst case you just need to replace it. The reason we are saying to use the RPX versions is because they all work. Homebrew Launcher can't load .elf files over (I think it was ~6-7MB in size?) while it can do RPX files up to I think around 60MB. Too lazy to look it up.

All of that stuff "Should" work. It's odd that the main retroarch launcher just doesn't work, not only for me but other people, but it's a bit less bad considering RetroArch has been ported to almost every home computer, console, and a few home appliances and breeds of dog.

Yeah, i guess i was just looking for teh "bomberman.rpx" core or something. Anyway, it's all working nice with the genesis core , will try with the mrboom core at some point... gunna check what all the cores do at some point. Would love doom/tyrian/quake/bomberman running on this (:

Last edited by skarmachild,

Ampera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i guess i was just looking for teh "bomberman.rpx" core or something. Anyway, it's all working nice with the genesis core , will try with the mrboom core at some point... gunna check what all the cores do at some point. Would love doom/tyrian/quake/bomberman running on this (:

Not sure if you know, but you can change cores without going back to the homebrew launcher.

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there still a link up to donate to the devs working on a Dynarec compiler for the Wii U PSX core? Would love to play upscaled HD Diablo :P

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I decides to try the dosbox core, but i need some help.

Is there some kind of virtual keyboard por something? The mouse is well emulated, but i can't find a way to type.

Attachments

• IMG_20170820_190755.jpg
    IMG_20170820_190755.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 166

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I decides to try the dosbox core, but i need some help.

Is there some kind of virtual keyboard por something? The mouse is well emulated, but i can't find a way to type.
you need to go to control maping and asign each keyboard input to a button on your gamepad, its tedios and very boring sadly afaik there isnt any emulated digital keyboard or even the keyboard itself is recognized as a keyboard.

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the bounty you'll want to have people donate to, started by LibretroRetro instead, it's better in the long run.

Thanks, first time ive ever really seen a "bounty" thing. Basically a 'do this and u get money' right? Is anyone looking into doing this (Mystro256 or anyone etc) .... im a lil confused :<

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: I was just trying to get the US/EU NTR plugin for Hyrule warriors, but the link is busted. does...