Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks, first time ive ever really seen a "bounty" thing. Basically a 'do this and u get money' right? Is anyone looking into doing this (Mystro256 or anyone etc) .... im a lil confused :<
anyone can do this when they submit the work and people confirm it works they let him get the money.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else having major issues with 1.6.7 I get constant dsi errors in the retroarch menu when I select anything and when I try to load the vast majority of my roms I am getting system memory errors this is happening with all cores deleting cfg files has not helped at all

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone else having major issues with 1.6.7 I get constant dsi errors in the retroarch menu when I select anything and when I try to load the vast majority of my roms I am getting system memory errors this is happening with all cores deleting cfg files has not helped at all
I got one DSI error trying to load a game with the FBA 2012 core and, the most strange of all, a USB device failure error. Thankfully i tested my HDD and it's a-ok.

R0B0T0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm also experiencing DSI crashes on 1.67 randomly when loading ROMs. Particularly this error:

IMG_0368.JPG

This seems to appear more frequently when using FBA (Mainline).

Last edited by R0B0T0,
Reactions: ploggy

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Yes, its getting more and more less stable with the newer "stable" releases.
I downloaded the newest nightly. Even that one crashes with just a black screen.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm also experiencing DSI crashes on 1.67 randomly when loading ROMs. Particularly this error:

View attachment 96426

This seems to appear more frequently when using FBA (Mainline).
Looks like another bad free; presumably the same sort of root cause. I'm not in a position to trace it down for a week or two; I'd be submitting a bug report (just for this DSI!) on GitHub if I were you.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like another bad free; presumably the same sort of root cause. I'm not in a position to trace it down for a week or two; I'd be submitting a bug report (just for this DSI!) on GitHub if I were you.

Already made a bug report of it, actually, but I don't know how deeply rooted the issue is at hand. Well, a similar issue anyway, with "retroarch launcher" in the code and not "homebrew"
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/5304 I mean, if they want to make a bug report, they can.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can point people to the code at least -

frontend.c -

main_exit tells the program to save the current configuration file - a call to command_event gets made -which is a function inside command.c.

From there, we call config_file_save in order to save the current configuration file (usually retroarch.cfg stored somewhere). Afterwards, it calls config_file_free in order to free the struct.

EDIT: BTW, in case anybody wasn't aware yet, we really need new and fresh developers who'd like to contribute to RetroArch WiiU and RetroArch 3DS. The PC and mobile platforms of course take top priority for us as the main dev team, and we rely on contributors for some of these jailbroken platforms. That doesn't mean we don't care about it though, but it's still a two-way street here and we need all the dev help we can get here.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

frontend.c -

main_exit tells the program to save the current configuration file - a call to command_event gets made -which is a function inside command.c.

From there, we call config_file_save in order to save the current configuration file (usually retroarch.cfg stored somewhere). Afterwards, it calls config_file_free in order to free the struct.

Would loading the emulator apps singularly (as in a separate core app, not RA main) be a potential workaround in the mean time? @QuarkTheAwesome

If not, then methinks it would be good for me to close the bug report.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Would loading the emulator apps singularly (as in a separate core app, not RA main) be a potential workaround in the mean time? @QuarkTheAwesome

I don't quite get your question here, and I think it betrays a misunderstanding in how RetroArch works on WiiU.

Every core is statically linked to RetroArch itself; there is no dynamic loading like on PC or mobile. So every 'core executable' is already standalone.

And no, the crash happens apparently when saving the default config file before we call 'main_exit' (when you want to load a ROM with a different core from the one that has already loaded, it will still invoke main_exit, however it will then launch the 'core executable' with a parameter of the game ROM you just selected. It has nothing to do with loading the ROM itself, just that the program wants to save the configuration file first. Heap / stack space reads/writes is very, very fragile on consoles unlike PC/mobile.

In order to test this theory - go to Configuration and set 'Save Changes To Config On Exit' to false. See if it helps with the crashes.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,
Reactions: niuus

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't quite get your question here, and I think it betrays a misunderstanding in how RetroArch works on WiiU.

Every core is statically linked to RetroArch itself; there is no dynamic loading like on PC or mobile. So every 'core executable' is already standalone.

And no, the crash happens apparently when saving the default config file. It has nothing to do with loading the ROM itself. Heap / stack space reads/writes is very, very fragile on consoles unlike PC/mobile.

So then we disable saving the config upon exit or generate a new config? How is this kind of issue resolved (assuming it's nothing too serious)? I get that it's fragile, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what happens next. Sounds like it may be quite a doozy though.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So then we disable saving the config upon exit? How is this kind of issue resolved (assuming it's nothing too serious)? I get that it's fragile, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is where do we go from here? Sounds like it may be quite a doozy though.

Try if setting 'Save Configuration on Exit' to false helps it get past the crashes.

If it does, then somebody like Quark The Awesome would know which parts of the code to debug.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try if setting 'Save Configuration on Exit' to false helps it get past the crashes.

If it does, then somebody like Quark The Awesome would know which parts of the code to debug.

Sounds like a good first thing to try, will keep you posted. Everyone else having these issues, try the suggestion above. Alternatively, maybe creating a config file for each core may be another thing to test, not a good idea, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Already made a bug report of it, actually, but I don't know how deeply rooted the issue is at hand. Well, a similar issue anyway, with "retroarch launcher" in the code and not "homebrew"
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/5304 I mean, if they want to make a bug report, they can.
Those are unrelated. DSIs are just error messages, two different ones rarely stem from the same thing. This is far more likely to be a malloc/calloc issue than whatever's going on with those other two.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are unrelated. DSIs are just error messages, two different ones rarely stem from the same thing. This is far more likely to be a malloc/calloc issue than whatever's going on with those other two.

Libretro/Twinaphex stated above my post what he narrowed down the issue to be. Not sure if you've had a chance to read his posts

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

frontend.c -

EDIT: BTW, in case anybody wasn't aware yet, we really need new and fresh developers who'd like to contribute to RetroArch WiiU and RetroArch 3DS. The PC and mobile platforms of course take top priority for us as the main dev team, and we rely on contributors for some of these jailbroken platforms. That doesn't mean we don't care about it though, but it's still a two-way street here and we need all the dev help we can get here.

Maybe create a comment thread asking for help. I would help if I could but I don't know how to code.

R0B0T0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just added the issue here:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/5357

I didn't notice the followup conversation here before posting, I'm assuming some of this info should be added to clarify the issue.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
The errors do seem random. The newest nightly.

It froze just scrolling through the game list.
Another time, It froze loading up a cps2 game with FBA 2012 core.
But then after cps2 games loaded fine.

I can't pin point whats going on.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyone knows how I can launch something in DosBox with parameters?
Since it's even possible to install Win 3.1(1) in DosBox I could directly launch a Win 3.1 game (of course only with keyboard inputs) and exit back to RetroArch.

If you're interested, here is a very nice tool someone wrote a few years ago which is used to shutdown Windows 3 directly after the executed program/game has been closed:
http://www.shdon.com/blog/2010/01/26/created-runexit-tool

I know it's off topic but on a PC with mouse support you could enjoy the whole Win 3 game library (including the sweet and nostalgic Microsoft Entertainment Pack 1 - 4) this way.

However it is necessary to launch DosBox so it launches Windows 3 directly with the parameters for the runexit tool and the game (and even parameters for the game like cheatmode or something if wanted).

If noone knows the answer I'll start trying around with this on PC and if it works, on my Wii U:
https://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=DOSBox#Usage

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Anyone knows how I can launch something in DosBox with parameters?
Since it's even possible to install Win 3.1(1) in DosBox I could directly launch a Win 3.1 game (of course only with keyboard inputs) and exit back to RetroArch.

If you're interested, here is a very nice tool someone wrote a few years ago which is used to shutdown Windows 3 directly after the executed program/game has been closed:
http://www.shdon.com/blog/2010/01/26/created-runexit-tool

I know it's off topic but on a PC with mouse support you could enjoy the whole Win 3 game library (including the sweet and nostalgic Microsoft Entertainment Pack 1 - 4) this way.

However it is necessary to launch DosBox so it launches Windows 3 directly with the parameters for the runexit tool and the game (and even parameters for the game like cheatmode or something if wanted).

If noone knows the answer I'll start trying around with this on PC and if it works, on my Wii U:
https://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=DOSBox#Usage
probably will run way to slow to be enjoyable imo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtapU5nI6G4