Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

TLPD-AVW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Anyway on a side note which is the recommended one to use out of the two emus anyway (that's if they both are working lol)

From what I understand, the SGX core is a fork of PCE Fast core (as stated here) which loads SuperGrafx games in SuperGrafx mode as opposed to the vanilla PC Engine mode. SuperGrafx has a whopping amount of SEVEN compatible games, so the remaining hundreds of games work in PC Engine mode. So there shouldn't be any difference between two cores in 98% of cases.

Hielkenator2

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Thanks for pointing me in that direction, now with the launcher, I get that vorbis error on the latest nightly when launching Sonic CD, and and some sort of ISI error with 1.6.4 when launching Sonic CD.

I'm going to keep trying older stables until I find the last one that works. :V
Just a note: It is not advised to use different cores mixed with other releases. It's is better to download the full package with all cores if you update for the config file, to properly parse. Sometimes a full update of all cores + RA fixes "your" problem in regards to "only" updating the core you use. It is important to always update your main RA core for compatibilty between cores and RA Framework. In short: updating a single core can give you problems.

Last edited by Hielkenator2,

rioray

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Something a bit neat: with some yucky patches (not for mainline (yet!)) I managed to get RetroArch "running" under Decaf. It's slow, it's not quite right (red and blue are swapped?) but it works well enough to do some basic dev away from a console.
0f7542f967.png
Very nice and useful for debugging .
BTW @QuarkTheAwesome Is there any way to get your yucky patch ? as I'm away from wii U until September.

@cucholix sorry , as stated above i can't test anymore.

Last edited by rioray,
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
BTW @QuarkTheAwesome Is there any way to get your yucky patch ? as I'm away from wii U until September.
Gotcha. Do keep in mind that the emulation is far from perfect, so I'd get someone to test on hardware before you merge anything into the upstream. I found this the hard way when beta-testing touch support.
Anyway!

Clone yourself a copy of decaf-emu (the version I've been working with is 9ea4708) and apply this patch (git apply <patch>) and compile it away.

I've recently pushed an attempt to diagnose memory leaks to GitHub, and wouldn't ya know it, but it happens to run under Decaf ;). If you want to save yourself a bit of effort, just clone and compile it here. If you don't like the ASAN stuff, let me know and I'll make a patch like the Decaf one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Speaking of touch support, some preliminary stuff just got merged in. It only exposes a pointer device; not a mouse or lightgun, so most cores won't like it. In any case, it's a start, and hopefully we'll figure out how to emulate all the input devices in future.

rioray

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gotcha. Do keep in mind that the emulation is far from perfect, so I'd get someone to test on hardware before you merge anything into the upstream. I found this the hard way when beta-testing touch support.
Anyway!

Clone yourself a copy of decaf-emu (the version I've been working with is 9ea4708) and apply this patch (git apply <patch>) and compile it away.

I've recently pushed an attempt to diagnose memory leaks to GitHub, and wouldn't ya know it, but it happens to run under Decaf ;). If you want to save yourself a bit of effort, just clone and compile it here. If you don't like the ASAN stuff, let me know and I'll make a patch like the Decaf one.

Speaking of touch support, some preliminary stuff just got merged in. It only exposes a pointer device; not a mouse or lightgun, so most cores won't like it. In any case, it's a start, and hopefully we'll figure out how to emulate all the input devices in future.
Thanks for this ! I will look at asap.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

@cucholix sorry , as stated above i can't test anymore.
Oh, no worries, just curious about the system =p (never owned one), btw thanks for bringing up mame2000, several games broken in 2003 and FBA are working now =)

We are in 1.6.7 already!?
Yeah, at least it reads 1.6.7 in the app, I updated through nightlies, I haven't noticed changes from 1.6.6 though.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Someone else is having DSI errors when launching Spectrum ZX games in 1.6.7? @Marko76 @ploggy @rioray @QuarkTheAwesome
Sorry have used the ZX Core for a while. I'll try later :)
Anyway!

Thanks for looking into this. I hope you can get this working :) This is my most wanted feature :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea the supergrafix core is broke on the latest nightly i noticed that too. I think the best NES core is nestopia i could be wrong though other users might know a little more than me.

Nestopia is the most accurate (and still very fast) out of all NES cores available for RetroArch Wii U.

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please can I get a super idiots guide to this?

I see videos of it on YouTube, and i have RetroArch on my PC but i want this on wii u.

I just dont understand which file to download, and where to put them. (my wii U is already hacked and can boot in mocha via internet)...

Like I just want a single RetroArch app in Homebrew Launcher, which loads. (i know how to DL cores/titles/etc in the Pc version via the "Update X" options.. i assume its the same here. I just dont want my Homebrew Launcher to display 1 app for every core. Like currently i choose which core/app to load via HB Launcher i.e "Genesis Plus GX REtroArch", "Gambette Retroarch" etc. All seperate... too messy)

I boot into 1.3 Homebrew Launcher from loadiine website, since it's mostly reliable

Plz plz plz im such a noob at wii u hacking :/

Can i copy the "assets" folder from the PC RetroArch to the SD:/"retroarch" folder and have it display the PSP XMB style that i like?

Edit:

Currently my folder structure is as follows:
SD:/retroarch/cores/all the cores.ELF
SD:/wiiu/apps/retroarch/icon | meta | retroarch.elf

When I load "retroarch.elf" from the homebrew launcher it just goes to a black screen, what am i doing wrong? Should the cores be RPX files? Shouldnt retroarch.elf still load regardless? :<

Edit 2:
Do I need to download this ZIP:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch

And extract it into the SD/retroarch folder?

Last edited by skarmachild,

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@skarmachild your folder setup looks fine, though as you thought you should really go for rpx files now (especially for the arcade cores), which brings nicely to your main problem: you need to move on to the newer version of the Homebrew Launcher if you want to use Retroarch ;)

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@skarmachild your folder setup looks fine, though as you thought you should really go for rpx files now (especially for the arcade cores), which brings nicely to your main problem: you need to move on to the newer version of the Homebrew Launcher if you want to use Retroarch ;)

Hmm, okay so I can manage to boot to 1.4 from the Loadiine Internet page.

For now though I am going to try the .elf versions, if that works on 1.3, i will try the RPX versions on 1.4.

Should there be any other folders I am missing? I just have the apps/retroarch folder, and the retroarch/cores folder. Is that fine for the bare minimum, and updating cores/assets etc from RetroArch will add more?

Thanks for your advice (:

Edit: Guh, still just goes to black screen when I try load up RetroArch. I'm going through Loadiine Website (choosing homebrew launcher 1.3) > mocha.elf > homebrew launcher channel > retroarch.elf so should be fine(?)_

Which file/folder do i need to download? I am using this one: https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.6.6/nintendo/wiiu/ (RetroArch.7z)

Edit 2: Okay so it actually loaded this time. It was either the fact that my SD Card was in the Lock position (my gawd im dumb), or I pressed a button on the black screen. Who knows, hopefully it works, not sure if I wanna risk doing the RPX version...

I'm pretty pro at Wii hacking but all new to Wii U. I'll mainly use it for nes/sega/snes/gameboy games. I assume genesisGX core runs Sega CD games fine, how about 32x? Hows n64/ps1 compatbility, through wiisx/not64 on wii compatibility was somwhat decent)

Last edited by skarmachild,

Ponyboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm....how do you guys go about updating? I might be forgetting a step. I keep getting the 160-2203 system memory error when trying to launch retroarch. I deleted the config files and replaced the cores with the newer ones.

Ampera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my setup as such:

I use Haxchi (because I am on 5.5.2, replace this with Loadiine if you wish) to boot into Homebrew Launcher 1.4 (There is 0 reason not to use 1.4 AFAIK)

I strongly suggest you use the RPX version of RetroArch, as many of the ELFs won't boot at all due to their size.

I had an issue with loading into a black screen. For me this is fixed by loading into one of the cores (then you can switch them out) and making sure NOT to use Homebrew Launcher Channel, as it seems to not work right for RetroArch, at least for me.

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my setup as such:

I use Haxchi (because I am on 5.5.2, replace this with Loadiine if you wish) to boot into Homebrew Launcher 1.4 (There is 0 reason not to use 1.4 AFAIK)

I strongly suggest you use the RPX version of RetroArch, as many of the ELFs won't boot at all due to their size.

I had an issue with loading into a black screen. For me this is fixed by loading into one of the cores (then you can switch them out) and making sure NOT to use Homebrew Launcher Channel, as it seems to not work right for RetroArch, at least for me.

Hmm, okay so I just replace all the .elf cores and Retroarch.elf with the RPX replacements? (anything else i need to replace?)

I have yet to install haxchi, dont have the money to buy an official game yet but i will do as soon as i get paid. Using the webpage is a bit tiresome... - though wondering about Coldhaxchi.... not sure whether to risk bricking my wii u since its taken me so long to find one (at a cheap price!). I just heard 1.4 was less stable than 1.3 which is why i was booting into that.

It's currently updating the Assets at the moment, gunna take a while. If i replace the elfs with RPX's it will read all the other files fine right?

Thanks {:

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

Ponyboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country