ROM Hack [Release] Ultimate GBA VC Injector for 3DS

Add the feature to patch already existing GBA CIAs to modify ghosting and color options?

• Yes

Votes: 73 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don't care!

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but are saves for the cia versions of games interchangeable with, say, something that acknowledges GBA save formats and not 3DS ones?

To be more specific in what I mean, let's say someone plays one of the Pokemon games on the 3DS converted in this way, but wants to use a GBA Pokemon save editor to add a Pokemon from that they can't get like Mew or all of the starter Pokemon; this programs would work for GBA save files, which I believe are .srm files. Is the save file universal in this case?

Sorry if I'm confusing, I was just curious if there was any change here. Like for example, DS saves work between a flash card, an emulator, and the Wii U. I was wondering if the same was the case with GBA games and their cia conversions.

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but are saves for the cia versions of games interchangeable with, say, something that acknowledges GBA save formats and not 3DS ones?

To be more specific in what I mean, let's say someone plays one of the Pokemon games on the 3DS converted in this way, but wants to use a GBA Pokemon save editor to add a Pokemon from that they can't get like Mew or all of the starter Pokemon; this programs would work for GBA save files, which I believe are .srm files. Is the save file universal in this case?

Sorry if I'm confusing, I was just curious if there was any change here. Like for example, DS saves work between a flash card, an emulator, and the Wii U. I was wondering if the same was the case with GBA games and their cia conversions.
Yes, the save file is the same format as any emulator (a "battery" file), but use this injector instead! https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/7mz97h/public_beta_release_nsui_beta_26_allinone_vc

The one from this thread is deprecated.

To backup/restore your save file you have to use godmode9 or decrypt9.

To do that just launch the game you want to backup (like if you are going to play it), then let it load (wait until the black screens disappear). Then just quit the game without doing anything (reboot the 3ds). Launch now godmode9 or decrypt9 and go to the GBA save backup option and select it.

Those programs only backup the save of the latest launched GBA game, that's why you have to launch it first (to ensure that you're backing up the proper game). This is a limitation of the 3DS's GBA "emulator".

When you have your backup in your SD you can transfer it to you PC and do whatever you want with it (use save edit programs, import it into VisualBoy Advance using File>Import Battery File, etc).

To restore your modified save file into the 3ds just copy it from your PC to you sdcard, replacing the original one you backed up at first (use the same file name and location). Then launch your GBA game again from the 3ds menu (like we did before to do the backup, just to ensure it's the latest played GBA game!). Let it load until the black screens are gone!

Then just quit the game without doing anything (reboot the 3ds). Launch now godmode9 or decrypt9 and go to the GBA save restore option and select it. Now your game should have the new save file injected into it. You can reboot your console and test it.

Fletchtower

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is a dumb/often asked question, but I haven't had much luck finding an answer here or elsewhere on the forums:

Can backups of saves from injected GBA games be loaded to and used on the original GBA carts? I can do it with my DS Lite flashcart, which I like because I can then use the GameCube GBA player to play from the original carts on my TV without losing my progress (my kids like to watch me play, none of us mind the blown up visuals, and this is a lot easier than crowding around the handheld's screen). However, I'd love the convenience of playing my GBA games on my 3DS and not having to carry around two handhelds.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the save file is the same format as any emulator (a "battery" file), but use this injector instead! https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/7mz97h/public_beta_release_nsui_beta_26_allinone_vc

The one from this thread is deprecated.

To backup/restore your save file you have to use godmode9 or decrypt9.

To do that just launch the game you want to backup (like if you are going to play it), then let it load (wait until the black screens disappear). Then just quit the game without doing anything (reboot the 3ds). Launch now godmode9 or decrypt9 and go to the GBA save backup option and select it.

Those programs only backup the save of the latest launched GBA game, that's why you have to launch it first (to ensure that you're backing up the proper game). This is a limitation of the 3DS's GBA "emulator".

When you have your backup in your SD you can transfer it to you PC and do whatever you want with it (use save edit programs, import it into VisualBoy Advance using File>Import Battery File, etc).

To restore your modified save file into the 3ds just copy it from your PC to you sdcard, replacing the original one you backed up at first (use the same file name and location). Then launch your GBA game again from the 3ds menu (like we did before to do the backup, just to ensure it's the latest played GBA game!). Let it load until the black screens are gone!

Then just quit the game without doing anything (reboot the 3ds). Launch now godmode9 or decrypt9 and go to the GBA save restore option and select it. Now your game should have the new save file injected into it. You can reboot your console and test it.

This may be a question that gets us beyond this converter, but it's been ages since I have used my 3DS. How would one access godmode9 or decrypt9? I do believe I have CFW on my 3DS as I can use Luma3DS and install CIA files.

I changed my 3DS this way months ago, so I don't even remember what I did! :P

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Sorry if this is a dumb/often asked question, but I haven't had much luck finding an answer here or elsewhere on the forums:

Can backups of saves from injected GBA games be loaded to and used on the original GBA carts? I can do it with my DS Lite flashcart, which I like because I can then use the GameCube GBA player to play from the original carts on my TV without losing my progress (my kids like to watch me play, none of us mind the blown up visuals, and this is a lot easier than crowding around the handheld's screen). However, I'd love the convenience of playing my GBA games on my 3DS and not having to carry around two handhelds.

You should be able to do that. Just follow this to the part where you have your save file backed up. Then you could copy it to the SD Card of your NDS flashcard and then inject the save with your DS Lite into your GBA original cart.

Like I already said in that post, please use this new injector, which fixes GBA save files. Also, please do a backup your GBA Cart save file first, as I'm not responsible of anything wrong it could happen!

This may be a question that gets us beyond this converter, but it's been ages since I have used my 3DS. How would one access godmode9 or decrypt9? I do believe I have CFW on my 3DS as I can use Luma3DS and install CIA files.

I changed my 3DS this way months ago, so I don't even remember what I did! :P

Download the latest version of GodMode9. Place the "GodMode9.firm" file into sd:/luma/payloads/ of your 3DS SDCard. Then turn on the console while holding the START button to show the payloads list and select GodMode9 from the list. The same applies to decrypt9 and any other boot9strap payload.

Last edited by Asdolo,
Reactions: Cralex

Fletchtower

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to do that. Just follow this to the part where you have your save file backed up. Then you could copy it to the SD Card of your NDS flashcard and then inject the save with your DS Lite into your GBA original cart.

Like I already said in that post, please use this new injector, which fixes GBA save files. Also, please do a backup your GBA Cart save file first, as I'm not responsible of anything wrong it could happen!
Great. Thanks so much for the reply!

dragonsacred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
did the files created with tool have any region?i mean, usa, eur, jpn.........i don't want to be banned by playing a GBA game thourgh a cia instead of using an emulator

ninjistix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure what could be the issue, but I "obtained" a pokemon leaf green rom (v 1.1), and opened it fine, it was able to download the box art, but when i tried to download the title screen it kept saying no file found, for both the banner and the icon

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are region free.
hi, i've been trying to inject a copy of sma3: yoshi's island with NSUI but whenever i try to click on generate cia, this message appears:
YStI8w3.jpg

ninjistix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using Beta 26?

This is a bug caused by the use of the Sleep/Reset patches. Try disabling them, and sorry for that!
sorry i tried the leaf green on the beta26, didnt see that link before was still downloading old version from first post...

RF3kdai.png

tuturuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Btw when windows display scaling is more than 100% default, for example 125% then icon/banner is displayed and saved incorrectly, so the .exe must be run with disable scaling DPI.

I had the same problem. Had to completely turn off monitor scaling in Windows 10 or otherwise the 3D banner icon would end up all glitched (on the 3DS itself, not in the program).

I noticed the same thing happens in the New Super Ultimate Injector (beta26). The icon for SNES banners end up much smaller than they're supposed to and the rest is filled in with a red border, for example. GBA borders don't display properly either. Easy to fix; just turn off dpi scaling, but it took a while to figure out.

Last edited by tuturuu,

vinzanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi i'm using beta 27 of NSUI but can't seem to create any CIA. No sleep patch or hard reset enabled. I'm still using Windows 7.
Mgi0NMk.jpg

Last edited by vinzanity,

Cralex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi i'm using beta 27 of NSUI but can't seem to create any CIA. No sleep patch or hard reset enabled. I'm still using Windows 7.
Mgi0NMk.jpg

This happened to me only once. I was trying to patch a game and the .ips patch had a rather long filename. Like, twice the length of the title of the game. When I shortened the name of the patch, it worked. Maybe the utility can’t handle long file names? Not sure if this helps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs