ppivotiiii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone,
if you own a non-US console and have created a VC inject for one of your GBA games with version 28 of New Super Ultimate Injector, you may have noticed that there is no banner showing the title/release date. This is because NSUI sets the locale bytes of the (very pretty) GBA model as USA_EN for all locales, which is why the language specific footers don't show up on e.g. EUR consoles.
To fix this I wrote a small program which unpacks the .cia files generated by NSUI, sets the proper bytes and repacks everything.

Github: https://github.com/pivotiiii/nsui_banner_fixer/releases

WARNING: Overwriting an injected GBA game will overwrite its save file.
Consider backing up your saves before, e.g. with GBAVCSM.

beforeafter
HNI_0032.JPG
HNI_0033.JPG

abpluser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When running the .exe i get the following errors.

-VCRUNTIME140D.dll missing
&
-ucrtbased.dll missing

do you know how to fix this?

Last edited by abpluser,

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
when i add a cia file and load the EXE file, it doesn't seems to work, it gets an error (0xc000007b), but without any cia file, it doesn't even do nothing, i have the dll files, but nothing

ppivotiiii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
when i add a cia file and load the EXE file, it doesn't seems to work, it gets an error (0xc000007b), but without any cia file, it doesn't even do nothing, i have the dll files, but nothing
That does not seem to be one of my errors at least. Are you on 32bit or 64bit Windows? Just a quick search online seems to link this error with the VC Redist as well.

abpluser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm thats weird. I installed the Redist but I still seem to get the same error.

Could this be a Win11 compatibility issue?

ppivotiiii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm thats weird. I installed the Redist but I still seem to get the same error.

Could this be a Win11 compatibility issue?
Could also be something funky going on with the way I created the .exe file from the Python code. I attached a version that uses Nuitka instead of cx-freeze to this post, could you please try this one? I also compiled this one for 32bit, so maybe you can try this one as well @Mr_Start ?

Attachments

• nsui_banner_fixer.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 80

abpluser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could also be something funky going on with the way I created the .exe file from the Python code. I attached a version that uses Nuitka instead of cx-freeze to this post, could you please try this one? I also compiled this one for 32bit, so maybe you can try this one as well @Mr_Start ?
Just tried it and im getting the same errors.

I also tried using multiple different Redist Packages, but the problem keeps persisting

1677470265956.png

1677470280981.png

ppivotiiii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just tried it and im getting the same errors.

I also tried using multiple different Redist Packages, but the problem keeps persisting

View attachment 355920
View attachment 355921
Yea these should be included in the Redists, weird...
I found some people on this forum having problems with ctrtool and missing dll's as well. Apparently there is a differently linked version I have attached as well, if this one doesn't work I'll have to take a deeper look at this.

Attachments

• nsui_banner_fixer.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 93

abpluser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yea these should be included in the Redists, weird...
I found some people on this forum having problems with ctrtool and missing dll's as well. Apparently there is a differently linked version I have attached as well, if this one doesn't work I'll have to take a deeper look at this.
1677471731108.png

With this version it worked now. Really appreciate the help, thanks!

Reactions: champsblinder02

ppivotiiii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by ppivotiiii,
Reactions: Mr_Start

NovaX35

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm sorry but how does it work exactly? I open the nsui_banner_fixer exe and it shows the warning message and then "Press any key to continue". If I press anything it closes the program. Also, when I open 3dstool and ctrtool exes, they close by themselves.

ppivotiiii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm sorry but how does it work exactly? I open the nsui_banner_fixer exe and it shows the warning message and then "Press any key to continue". If I press anything it closes the program. Also, when I open 3dstool and ctrtool exes, they close by themselves.
That means you either didn't pass a .cia file as an argument or had none in the directory probably. Have you read the instructions? I should probably change it so that it prints the instructions again if no .cia files can be found.

Niarbyl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for making this fix. NSUI screwing up the banners really bugged me and I'm glad there's someone who's done something about it.

However, I can't get this to reliably work at all. Every time I try, the command prompt screen flashes up for a millisecond, creates a temp file which holds some data for the first cia, before instantly shutting down again. I somehow managed to get the exe to properly run once before, but I've no idea how that happened or how to replicate it. I think it's something to do with the program setting off major alarm bells for virus protection software (I'm running Norton), but after having both turned off the protection and putting the file on the exclusion list I've still had no success. I've also tried all the versions you posted here, as well as making sure I have the Redists and running the exe as both an administrator and in compatibility mode. No method seems to work.

Attached is a screencap of the bit of code that pops up, I've not got any knowledge about coding but hopefully the issue is visible here.

Attachments

• Screenshot (86).png
    Screenshot (86).png
    30.1 KB · Views: 86

ppivotiiii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, thanks for making this fix. NSUI screwing up the banners really bugged me and I'm glad there's someone who's done something about it.

However, I can't get this to reliably work at all. Every time I try, the command prompt screen flashes up for a millisecond, creates a temp file which holds some data for the first cia, before instantly shutting down again. I somehow managed to get the exe to properly run once before, but I've no idea how that happened or how to replicate it. I think it's something to do with the program setting off major alarm bells for virus protection software (I'm running Norton), but after having both turned off the protection and putting the file on the exclusion list I've still had no success. I've also tried all the versions you posted here, as well as making sure I have the Redists and running the exe as both an administrator and in compatibility mode. No method seems to work.

Attached is a screencap of the bit of code that pops up, I've not got any knowledge about coding but hopefully the issue is visible here.
Hm that's strange, is Advance Wars really a .cia created with v28? It seems like the language specific banner files are missing and I don't think there is a way for NSUI to omit them. If the program crashes the temp folder should not be getting deleted, there should be banner0 through 14 in ./temp/Advance Wars/banner. How are you running the program? Double clicking or passing a .cia as an argument?

Niarbyl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hm that's strange, is Advance Wars really a .cia created with v28? It seems like the language specific banner files are missing and I don't think there is a way for NSUI to omit them. If the program crashes the temp folder should not be getting deleted, there should be banner0 through 14 in ./temp/Advance Wars/banner. How are you running the program? Double clicking or passing a .cia as an argument?
The version of NSUI I have says it's v28, but I'll try redownloading it and remaking a .cia with it. As for the way I'm running the program, I've done both double clicks and opening it by dragging a single .cia onto it.
The temp folder doesn't get deleted, I've attached pics of what's in there. No banner0 through 14.

Attachments

• Screenshot (90).png
    Screenshot (90).png
    28.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot (89).png
    Screenshot (89).png
    16.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot (91).png
    Screenshot (91).png
    18.7 KB · Views: 81

ppivotiiii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The version of NSUI I have says it's v28, but I'll try redownloading it and remaking a .cia with it. As for the way I'm running the program, I've done both double clicks and opening it by dragging a single .cia onto it.
The temp folder doesn't get deleted, I've attached pics of what's in there. No banner0 through 14.
I've sent you a dm.

Last edited by ppivotiiii,
Reactions: Niarbyl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto